What i've been up to

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Back in Sydney now for a few months and thought i'd share some current build pics. Hope you all have been well as it has been about 4 weeks since i've been on here. I'm missing all those arguments about glue...

Beau

Concert hummingbird uke (33).jpgbutt strip (11).jpgConcert hummingbird uke (13).jpgConcert hummingbird uke (18).jpgConcert hummingbird uke (29).jpg

and...

a dead mother of pearl nut (spilt down a fault line when sanding)

tassy blackwood bridge

how i center my bridges

a handful of nuts...

butt strip half(ish) finished

butt strip (6).jpgconcert.jpgconcert (3).jpgconcert (5).jpgconcert (7).jpg

Aloha Beau,
Your ukes are certainly up on the top level too.... wow man....very innovative designs, beautiful and creative... wish I could play one, one day, well own one too....:)

Wow, you've been busy! That is some beautiful work. Too bad about the split nut, but hey, that's the nature of.... uh, natural materials :)

No idea what the mystery wood is, but it is stunning.

There you are Beau..your work is way up there with the great builders on this site,,you mind me asking your age,,i am wondering who are going to be the next great young ukulele builders..i know Eric Devine and Jake Maclay are, but I am still try to find the others..Btw I am retired and old,,so just wondering Thxs

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. You make some lovely instruments and would love to hear how some of ukuleles!!

wow, your stuff is crazy good. You need to post some sound samples!

Ugh...why do I even bother. I'll never compete with that.:mad:

Just kidding! :D
Those are some amazing pictures. Beautiful wood and beautiful craftsmenship. Very inspiring!

Beautiful work indeed. That relief on the upper bout is very similar to the James Hill model that Mike DaSilva makes.
That upper arm relief is a real challenge I'm sure. Wow!

Wow, you've been busy! That is some beautiful work. Too bad about the split nut, but hey, that's the nature of.... uh, natural materials
No idea what the mystery wood is, but it is stunning.

She oak, or Casuarina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casuarina). This piece is slab sawn to bring out the tighter flame "figure". It makes a great sounding guitar and can only presume it does so for a uke.

There you are Beau..your work is way up there with the great builders on this site,,you mind me asking your age,,i am wondering who are going to be the next great young ukulele builders..i know Eric Devine and Jake Maclay are, but I am still try to find the others..Btw I am retired and old,,so just wondering Thxs

Thanks so much- It is nice to be mentioned along with those fine fellows! I'll be 38 in November, and never say to old. I look forward to being older, assuming I will be better at luthiery (fingers X'ed)

Hi Beau. Nice work.The butt strip looks a bit like WA sheok.

you got it :)

Thanks for sharing. You make some lovely instruments and would love to hear how some of ukuleles!!

There are a few low quality vids on my facebook page but I have found a local player who i want to use to demo some quick vids soon.

First off, beautiful ukuleles you've been making, Beau! Question though, and I'm not trying to be rude... but what is that inlay on the butt off the uke? It looks like it could be a "little swimmer" if you know what I mean.

hahaha- Yer i know!, i mean, no...it is a baloon!- like all my butt strips, i was making it up as i went along and didn't 'see' what it looked like till it was done. I will probably add a slash of colour to break up the shape.

wow, your stuff is crazy good. You need to post some sound samples!

That Sheoak looks great. On a whole instrument, it looks very loud on a whole instrument but just on the butt strip it looks like flames. (Who woulda thought

You got it- I think that only ozzys guessed

Exceptional looking work.

Thanks heaps

Ugh...why do I even bother. I'll never compete with that.:mad:

Just kidding!
Those are some amazing pictures. Beautiful wood and beautiful craftsmenship. Very inspiring!

Thank you- ive been doing it for 10 years and have been working on my designs.

Beautiful work indeed. That relief on the upper bout is very similar to the James Hill model that Mike DaSilva makes.
That upper arm relief is a real challenge I'm sure. Wow!

Thanks- yer- that scoop cutaway was difficult as it has binding and purfling everywhere. darn hard and it was my first effort. Now i know how to do them twice as fast and neater. The arm bevel is actually on a guitar but i will be doing a batch of tenors with a them illustrating a ....theme.....

Attachments

• Sopranos tiger Myrtle (34).jpg
    Sopranos tiger Myrtle (34).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Sopranos tiger Myrtle (44).jpg
    Sopranos tiger Myrtle (44).jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Sopranos tiger Myrtle (46).jpg
    Sopranos tiger Myrtle (46).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 35
  • SopranoTigerButt.jpg
    SopranoTigerButt.jpg