Cedar/Cocobolo Tenor

Jason Wolverton

Reaction score
The uke features some very beautiful cocobolo and a nice cedar top.
I'm using a mini lattice :eek:, and I've lined the sides with Spanish cedar.

Too much fun.
549813_10151320541195966_652224885_n.jpg392753_10151366031760966_908933998_n.jpg553036_10151370283515966_428365419_n.jpg524387_10151388272685966_720986524_n.jpgIMG_0605.jpg

If this uke sounds anywhere near as good as it looks, it could be one of the best out there

If you didn't post this in a ukulele forum, I would have thought you were building one of your classical guitars...Looks nice.

Hi Liam,

This particular top isn't that thin. Just a little under 2mm in most places. The braces are also pretty minimal.

Each layer for the sides were taken down to a thickness of 1.2 mm. I vary this depending on the woods used. I pre-bend them on a pipe, then they go into a vacuum press over a form. I use epoxy to laminate them. I borrowed this technique from my guitar construction. It's extra work, but worth it.

Why do you line the sides with spanish cedar? Are you storing cigars in it??

Hi Liam,

This particular top isn't that thin. Just a little under 2mm in most places. The braces are also pretty minimal.

Each layer for the sides were taken down to a thickness of 1.2 mm. I vary this depending on the woods used. I pre-bend them on a pipe, then they go into a vacuum press over a form. I use epoxy to laminate them. I borrowed this technique from my guitar construction. It's extra work, but worth it.

First off... Stunning work. Just gorgeous.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the specific benefit of the laminated sides?

Thanks, Nongdam!

Thanks, Tobin. Laminated sides is just something I've borrowed from my classical guitar construction. There is actually a long history of laminated sides dating back to the 19th century (and not just for the sake of veneering.) In more recent times, the famous luthier Daniel Friederich is my inspiration for laminating sides on classical guitars. First off, it makes the instrument much more stable and less prone to cracking. More importantly, laminating the sides makes them much stiffer and holds more of the string energy in the soundboard creating an instrument that has more punch and sustain. Does this translate to a ukulele? I guess we shall see....

I can't wait to find out. Even though he's only made a couple of ukes, I'm taking a chance and have ordered one from Jason. I have very high hopes based on photos and the sound files

Thanks, Nongdam!

Thanks, Tobin. Laminated sides is just something I've borrowed from my classical guitar construction. There is actually a long history of laminated sides dating back to the 19th century (and not just for the sake of veneering.) In more recent times, the famous luthier Daniel Friederich is my inspiration for laminating sides on classical guitars. First off, it makes the instrument much more stable and less prone to cracking. More importantly, laminating the sides makes them much stiffer and holds more of the string energy in the soundboard creating an instrument that has more punch and sustain. Does this translate to a ukulele? I guess we shall see....

Jason,

I've seen your ads in Craigslist for your classes on building. Do you use this laminating technique in your classes?

I am sorry to add a contrary note to these posts - that zipper stripe conflicts (in my aesthetic) with the purity of the sap join. For me, it steals so much from the natural beauty of the wood because it is out of scale and unnecessary... IMHO.

I am sorry to add a contrary note to these posts - that zipper stripe conflicts (in my aesthetic) with the purity of the sap join. For me, it steals so much from the natural beauty of the wood because it is out of scale and unnecessary... IMHO.
I don't mind what it looks like it looks great to me...but from a structual angle it will need an extra wide cross banding to span the width ...That's if it's got cross banding ??

Thanks, Nongdam!

Thanks for the explanation. I've asked for opinions on the role of the sides in the soundbox before and got pretty varied responses. Interesting.

And for what it's worth, I like the look of the zipper stripe within the sapwood - I think the visual contrast between the two elements is striking.

Hi Didgeridoo,
I've always shown my students the traditional method of bending sides, but if someone specifically wanted to learn laminating techniques I wouldn't be against showing them how. It's always a good to have several methods at your disposal...

I also do double sides on my ukes. I thickness both the inner and outer sides to 0.9mm making a total of 1.8mm. The same as the single sides I used to do so there is no increase in weight. I bend my sides in a bender and then glue them with titebond in an outside half-mold, wrapping the sides with cloth tape in the same way the back and bindings are glued in the spanish tradition. I find the doubled sides are much stiffer, the intention being that stiffer sides reflect the energy back into the top rather than absorbing it. The other big bonus is there is no need for a mold during construction as the sides are locked in position.

Top Bottom