What does "Marked as Second" mean?

There's some minor flaw somewhere. Not suitable for selling at full price.

I bought a "second" Islander just a few weeks ago. The finish flaw was so minor I could hardly find it.

"Seconds" can be/are wonderful finds. Sometimes, as DaveVisi says, the flaw is so minor you really have to search for it. It's often something that you might do to the uke yourself (inadvertently) within the first few weeks of having it - so you've removed the "oh my gosh, I've put a scratch in my absolutely perfect uke" moment. Some of us (self included) can't find anything wrong with the seconds we've purchased. Some of us (self included) have received full-price, non-second ukes that came pre-blemished. A second is generally marked as such on the label. Pono stamps the label with a "2", I believe. KoAloha puts a small black dot in the lower right-hand corner of the label if it's a second with a full warranty, or in the lower left-hand corner if it's a second without a full warranty (this is what I have read here, so if that's not correct, anyone can jump in and correct the record).

I loveses me a good deal on a second! Especially since I seem to be the embodiment of Kathryn's statement above about the "seconds you make yourself." :)

Factory second means read the description of condition veeerrrrryyyyy carefully and if there is any doubts, ask questions. The above pretty much says it all.

Top Bottom