Gibson model 3..How should they sound

richardmartin

Reaction score
Hello

I have a beautiful Gibson 3 ukulele. It feels so wonderful to play. The neck and frets are work of great craftsmanship. The sound is nice and has its own character. But the sound really pales next to my Martin O or Kumalae, which are much more loud and resonant. Is there a problem or is this just the nature and sound of the Gibson 3. If I don't compare it to others there is not an issue.

Is this just the nature of these instruments?

Thanks,

Richard

Gibson ukuleles are fine instruments but they do not generally have the distinctive "bark" and sound of an older Martin. Regardless, the style 3 Gibson is a highly collectible, sought after instrument. Yes, it is the nature of the instrument.

Aloha Richard,
All instruments have a different voice and will sound different due to the variations in the building process..I would first of all change the strings to Martins M600 and see how it sounds
always try the simplest and cheapest ways first....good Luck...if it still sounds bad get a set up done...

I have a Gibson U3 also, and I love it. It is one of the coolest things I've ever owned. But... It doesn't sound as good as any of my Martins. I don't love it any less though!

However... The only other Gibson I've played was the same model and THAT one sounded amazing. I'm not sure why.

My experience is the "Martin" & "Gibson" sounds are different.
Their guitars also have distinctive voices, which is why there are both Martin & Gibson fans.
I have a few Gibson ukuleles and they are great sounding, but different than my friends who have Martins.

Top Bottom