The original cost of a vintage Kamaka

I can't say for sure but it very well could be...

I just picked up a vintage Martin Baritone from the early sixties and it still had the original hang tag in the case. It was $15 new, according to the tag!

Looks like $23 in 1969 is equivalent to around $150 today, so I guess that's probably correct.

Probably about right, in about 1967 or so I bought a Harmony bass for $65...I was lusting for a Fender, but they were $150!

I'm guessing that was probably about right - though it might have gotten the tag in a second hand shop or something.

Still, back then I think a brand-new full-size sedan would set you back a whopping $2500 or thereabouts.

I remember my mom sending me to the supermarket with a few quarters to get bread and milk around that time and I had enough to pick up a candy-bar, too. :)

John

When I did the factory tour a few weeks ago they said that in the 1930's you could get a uke for 6 bucks.

$6 in 1930 = $83 today. In 1930, a five bedroom home in Wisconsin was $5,700. 5700/83=68ish. So you could buy a house for 68 ukuleles. A modern five bedroom home costs around $150,00 depending on where you live. Divide that by 68 and you have 2,000. So for 2,000 1930 Kamakas, you could take a course in remedial math and have enough left over to buy a EDIT - derogatory epithet removed - seeso.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom