Kala Spruce/ Spalted Maple Soprano- KA-FMS

maday

Reaction score
Beginner looking for first Uke. About $200 give or take a few bucks budget. I keep coming back to this one...does any one have any comments or suggestions on this Kala (either Soporano or Concert?). thanks for your time...........

I'd say you probably can't go wrong with a Kala...just make sure you buy it from one of the vendors here who will set it up for you...like Mim, for example...

Kala Spruce/Spelted Maple

Thanks! Buying your first uke is a bit overwhelming. I don't have any stores around my area that sell the Kala Spruce/Maple so I can't hear the "bright" sound to know if that is what I want. But at this point, so green, I'm just going to jump and go for it from the Ukulele Site.

Regards, MD

Sounds like a good buy to me. I have a Kala - Acacia in my case but it's a nice uke. I like the tone and play regularly.

I have a Spruce Maple Tenor...be apprised that the sound they produce is almost counter to what you would hear in a traditional Ukulele. Lots of bell tones, lots of chime, very little low end. That said- I love mine.
Here is a video I did last year of her-

I am a hack, but hopefully it gives you a feel for the maple

Last edited:
andonsibdu

Thanks for the responses everyone! And if I can hack half as good as you TCK, I'll be happy. Nicely done!

Slight change of plans though: was just about to buy the Spruce/Spelted Maple Concert when Uke site threw up a "blow out" sale of the no longer available "Spruce/Lacewood" concert. Really tough choice but I ended up going with that one. Hope for the best!!

I have the Lacewood in the Tenor size and it sounds great. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all!

Thanks for the responses everyone! And if I can hack half as good as you TCK, I'll be happy. Nicely done!

Slight change of plans though: was just about to buy the Spruce/Spelted Maple Concert when Uke site threw up a "blow out" sale of the no longer available "Spruce/Lacewood" concert. Really tough choice but I ended up going with that one. Hope for the best!!

Excellent choice. Much better first uke than I bought. :)

I'm not too much of an impulse buyer. Usually compelled to do some research, like an itch I have to scratch. And I really took to heart how many comments like "after 1 month I upgraded". So I thought might as well start off with a little above entry and be done with it. ;) That said, it was still so difficult to choose. So nice to have these forums to come and read peoples different experiences and appreciate folks taking the time to weigh in. I'm also preparing myself for the UAS...:)

Top Bottom