PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Amigo XIX LFdM Tenor Ukulele

bobmyers
04-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Hi All,
I have received today my new Luis Feu de Mesquita Tenor Ukaferri in Engleman Spruce top and Zericote back and sides. It has a radius fret board and slotted headstock. Currently strung with Southcoast linear strings with two round wound strings.
I have purchased it without case but I am using a new O'ahu tenor case that fits nice and snug, see pictures.
I am not going to rate the sound as yet as the strings need to be retuned until they settle in and the uke need to be accoustomed to my enviroment. Just say it is very promising. and I expect it to be in the same league as my Moore Beetah when the spruce top has a chance to open up.
The build quality is as good as anything I have owned and the finish is just as perfect.
I am very satisfied with this purchase and would do it again and recommend this builder to all.
Enjoy the pictures below and more to come after I break it in.

Regards All,
Bob Myers

Doc_J
04-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Congrats Bob! Beautiful!

Kanaka916
04-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Congrats on the purchase, Bob. Gotta say it's a beautiful instrument. Comparo with the MB in terms of sound, tone & playability. At your discretion, of course!

RichM
04-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Beautiful! Congratulations, Bob, and welcome to the LFdM club!

kvehe
04-23-2013, 12:46 PM
I love it! Congratulations!

Dan Uke
04-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Sweet...Welcome to the club. I would love to get your opinion compared to the MBU since both are spruce even though the MBU is Sitka and the LFDM is Englemann and of course diff't backs. You've owned a lot of nice ukes so looking forward to your thoughts.

Maybe Rich could chime in since he owns both in sitka spruce.

OldePhart
04-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Very nice! Congrats.

GASguy
04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Beautiful spruce top, breath taking back and sides, congratulations!!!

bborzell
04-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Wonderful looking uke. I like the contrast againt the bamboo.

fumanshu
04-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Woahhhhhhh!!!!! Welcome to the LFDM family club!!!!! The Zericote back is insane!!!!!!!! I just love that wood. I didn't know that Luis has some.

Just like others that own a LFDM, I would like you to make a little comparaison with your MB uke since I might consider getting a Mb in the future too....

I guess your LFDM might be a little ''brighter'' than mine since I have a cedar top. But it would be interesting if you can go listen to a few of my soundclips on my soudcloud (Mlle. Elastique and Bizarre Love Triangle on the other ones, I play a MP ukulele) where I play my LFDM and let me know how does yours sound compare to my recording.....Mine is a Amigo V...

Thanks and congrats once again...you really have a nice uke!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/baouke

CTurner
04-23-2013, 01:46 PM
No kidding, the zericote is wonderful. As you get to know the instrument be sure to give us a good in-depth review.

Congrats!

Markr1
04-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Wow! That's beautiful Bob. The soundhole reminds of the Maccaferri guitar I think it is.

Nickie
04-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Wow, what a gorgeous uke! I've never seen that species of wood before. Where is it from? I bet it sounds different than any other...that Django style soundhole is very looksome!

dkcrown
04-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Hmmm. I sense a trend here. MB and LFdM.

mm stan
04-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Woahhhhhhh!!!!! Welcome to the LFDM family club!!!!! The Zericote back is insane!!!!!!!! I just love that wood. I didn't know that Luis has some.

Just like others that own a LFDM, I would like you to make a little comparaison with your MB uke since I might consider getting a Mb in the future too....

I guess your LFDM might be a little ''brighter'' than mine since I have a cedar top. But it would be interesting if you can go listen to a few of my soundclips on my soudcloud (Mlle. Elastique and Bizarre Love Triangle on the other ones, I play a MP ukulele) where I play my LFDM and let me know how does yours sound compare to my recording.....Mine is a Amigo V...

Thanks and congrats once again...you really have a nice uke!!!!

Congratulations Bob,
Okay you guys, I am thinking about getting a Lfdm maybe, can you all tell me the good points about them.....hope this is not all hype and you guys better not be lying...... :)

hawaii 50
04-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Stan I thought you were joking when you told me this last week..

mm stan
04-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Hey Len You know anybody in town that get one, I want to try one out......let me know

hawaii 50
04-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Hey Len You know anybody in town that get one, I want to try it out......let me know

Hey Stan..
I don't think anybody got one yet..most people I know here want to stick with the Hawaiian sound..me too.. Hehe

Btw Congrats Bob..nice wood combination..

AndrewKuker
04-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Hey Len You know anybody in town that get one, I want to try one out......let me know

We have 4 that should be ready soon. Maybe you can come up and see what you think. Listen to different woods/ options. (no strum marks though, eh ;))

hawaii 50
04-23-2013, 05:13 PM
We have 4 that should be ready soon. Maybe you can come up and see what you think. Listen to different woods/ options. (no strum marks though, eh ;))

Andrew... I been trying to get Stan out to you guys..what about it Stan you up to it yet? let me know when..we show MGM and Andrew some of your ukes too..

wow the next Lfdm batch must to all for you..

mm stan
04-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Andrew... I been trying to get Stan out to you guys..what about it Stan you up to it yet? let me know when..we show MGM and Andrew some of your ukes too..

wow the next Lfdm batch must to all for you..

Aloha Andrew,
Mahalo Plentee for the heads up and invites...will let Lenny know...wow 4 and the HMS great setup too.... :)

Dan Uke
04-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Hey Stan..
I don't think anybody got one yet..most people I know here want to stick with the Hawaiian sound..me too.. Hehe

Btw Congrats Bob..nice wood combination..

I agree 100%. If I ever buy koa, it would be Hawaiian brand or I might get disappointed. What you think Len, does all your koa non-Hawaiian brands sound as good as your Hawaiian brands?

hawaii 50
04-23-2013, 05:46 PM
I agree 100%. If I ever buy koa, it would be Hawaiian brand or I might get disappointed. What you think Len, does all your koa non-Hawaiian brands sound as good as your Hawaiian brands?

Hey Daniel..they all sound good but there is a I would say big difference in the tone,the MB sounds real good and my Kamaka
Hf3s is the closest to that sound but the MB sounds better to me..but I am not getting rid of any of my Calif. ukes.. haha

4 Lfdms to HMS wow..how many is he making these days he must be getting busy..no time for guitars

Tigeralum2001
04-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Very nice! Can't wait to hear a sound sample!

Dan Uke
04-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Hey Daniel..they all sound good but there is a I would say big difference in the tone,the MB sounds real good and my Kamaka
Hf3s is the closest to that sound but the MB sounds better to me..but I am not getting rid of any of my Calif. ukes.. haha

4 Lfdms to HMS wow..how many is he making these days he must be getting busy..no time for guitars

I know he's working on 7 ukes right now and have no idea if he's working on guitars or not. I figure those ukes will keep him pretty busy. No disrespect to all those waiting but I hope mine is the best of the lot!! :p

Bob, give us a report of the sound in a week or so

mm stan
04-23-2013, 11:26 PM

Aloha Lenny,
I would love to put my MB against a LDFM and compare...I have owned and played some of the top customs and nothing compares to it so far...nothing
like you said comes even close, it is simply on another level in tone and looks bruddah...I think Chuckie may have put his extra mana in for me... :)
but that does not leave me closed minded, I will still try and buy ukes I like if I like the tone, comfort and asthetics that comes along... :)

AndrewKuker
04-24-2013, 12:28 AM
... it simply on another level bruddah...

As is the maker. Chuck's artistic approach to lutherie is fascinating.

fumanshu
04-24-2013, 01:47 AM
Congratulations Bob,
Okay you guys, I am thinking about getting a Lfdm maybe, can you all tell me the good points about them.....hope this is not all hype and you guys better not be lying...... :)

Hi Stan!!! Seriously, for me, it's not hype or anything, it's truly the best uke I ever play even if I have plenty of good ukes build for me over the last 6-7 years...

But the LFDM is the best of the whole bunch that I tried and I think the others that I want to compare to it are probably a MB or a William King....

But you have to remember that Luis braces differently his ukes so they sound is no t a typical uke sound..it's sound more like a mini classical guitar with lots of volume and full sound...this is to consider because some just don't like to hear that kind of sound from a uke and prefer a more ''traditional'' uke sound...

You should just try them and let me know how you like them.....

mm stan
04-24-2013, 02:35 AM
Aloha Bao,
I have a william king and a moore bettah and I am intrested too of hearing the difference....my moore better has a very balanced tone and full sound at the same time and lot of Punch...

AndrewKuker
04-24-2013, 02:37 AM
Yes, I forgot to say, congrats Bob. Looks super epic.

We should be able to compare without it being a contest. Great comes in different styles and variety is the spice of life.

mm stan
04-24-2013, 02:44 AM

We should be able to compare without it being a contest. Great comes in different styles and variety is the spice of life.
Aloha Andrew,
Never a contest among friends and ukes bruddah....only fun times getting togther playing the ukulele fo shua....:)

fumanshu
04-24-2013, 03:34 AM
Aloha Bao,
I have a william king and a moore bettah and I am intrested too of hearing the difference....my moore better has a very balanced tone and full sound at the same time and lot of Punch...

ohhhh cool.....and how do you like you King compare to the MB? They must quite different in term of sounds no?! Mr. King comes from guitar world and from my experience is that most of these builders make ukes that doens'nt sound like from builders that are doing only ukes...

Dan Uke
04-24-2013, 03:57 AM

So true...Isn't that why most of us own more than one!!! I don't want the same sound from all my ukes.

For me, the MBU is the complete package as Chuck has been making ukes for such a long time. Nothing feels as good.

Luis has been making them signficantly less but sure is doing well. However, his tone is something that I like and his price is reasonable for what you get. I tell Luis, I don't have much experience as I've played uke for less than 2 years so let's see what Andrew says.

With that said, look at this stat of those who own both or is on the build list:

Known owners: Me, Nuprin, RichM, Bob Myers, Doc_J

There are 2 that own both but I don't know if they want it disclosed. There are 2 that own the LFDM and desperately trying to get a MBU but the waitlist is closed...However, they own or on the waitlist for a Devine.

I'm curious to see what other ukes these 9 owners have and see what other ones are common. Now those getting theirs soon might not like it and I hope they say so! We need honest opinions on UU.

didgeridoo2
04-24-2013, 04:19 AM
Hi Stan!!! Seriously, for me, it's not hype or anything, it's truly the best uke I ever play even if I have plenty of good ukes build for me over the last 6-7 years...

But the LFDM is the best of the whole bunch that I tried and I think the others that I want to compare to it are probably a MB or a William King....

But you have to remember that Luis braces differently his ukes so they sound is no t a typical uke sound..it's sound more like a mini classical guitar with lots of volume and full sound...this is to consider because some just don't like to hear that kind of sound from a uke and prefer a more ''traditional'' uke sound...

You should just try them and let me know how you like them.....

I would describe my William King the way you describe your LFdM, Bao. But it does have a bigger body than most other tenors. And it's different than my MB. Would love to see an LFdM some day. I Remember when you were having yours built and following the process.

Back on topic...Beautiful uke Bob. Congrats. Look forward to your assessment over time.

Dan Uke
04-24-2013, 04:32 AM
I would describe my William King the way you describe your LFdM, Bao. But it does have a bigger body than most other tenors. And it's different than my MB. Would love to see an LFdM some day. I Remember when you were having yours built and following the process.

Back on topic...Beautiful uke Bob. Congrats. Look forward to your assessment over time.

Jeff, you and I need to get and compare my MBU to your MBU and compare my new LFdM (getting in July) and your William King. Of course, a good meal would have to proceed all this or a no go! LOL

didgeridoo2
04-24-2013, 04:38 AM
Jeff, you and I need to get and compare my MBU to your MBU and compare my new LFdM (getting in July) and your William King. Of course, a good meal would have to proceed all this or a no go! LOL

Kids will need to stay home, Daniel. My two year old would need to bring his dolphin to show it off.

fumanshu
04-24-2013, 05:21 AM

Hi Jeff!! I would like you to let me know in how is the King different from your MB, it's probably like what I tried to explain.

I have to say that the LFDM alos has bigger body than most of the tenors so for sure it does change the sound of the uke compare to more traditional uke shape.

I have one of the very first LFDM that Luis build.....and he's such a gentleman, I tok the train from my place to Toronto and he proposed to me to stay at his place and see how he his working and.......his collection of books on lutheire and guitars is amazing!!!!

On my wish list are really a William King and MB!!!!! Then my UAS will be cured!!!

didgeridoo2
04-24-2013, 05:43 AM
Hi Bao. Bob also had a William King. My William King is all koa and so is my MB so it's a fair comparison. The MB is balanced. Perfectly balanced with sustain that surprises me. The King is rich and deep and has good sustain but nothing like the MB. The king also has a scale of 18".

fumanshu
04-24-2013, 05:49 AM
Hi Bao. Bob also had a William King. My William King is all koa and so is my MB so it's a fair comparison. The MB is balanced. Perfectly balanced with sustain that surprises me. The King is rich and deep and has good sustain but nothing like the MB. The king also has a scale of 18".

Ohhhh nice!!!! So the Mb is truly a very nice uke even compare to a King.....Hummmm I think I'll get in touch with Chuck!!!! Or if anyone readin this thread and has a MB that want to sell it....get in touch with me!!!! ;)

Stevelele
04-24-2013, 05:52 AM
I own a tenor koa MBU and used to own a longscale concert William King with rosewood b/s and spruce top. Both ukes are exceptional. But for me, the MBU is perfectly made, feels amazing, is lighter, but produces a nicer sound. The King is great, but if the MBU is a 10, the King is more like a 9.

fumanshu
04-24-2013, 05:58 AM
I own a tenor koa MBU and used to own a longscale concert William King with rosewood b/s and spruce top. Both ukes are exceptional. But for me, the MBU is perfectly made, feels amazing, is lighter, but produces a nicer sound. The King is great, but if the MBU is a 10, the King is more like a 9.

Nice to hear from you that own both!!!! Well I think it gives me a good idea.....Lighter....I like that!!! ;)

grendel1972
04-24-2013, 06:31 AM
Ohhhh nice!!!! So the Mb is truly a very nice uke even compare to a King.....Hummmm I think I'll get in touch with Chuck!!!! Or if anyone readin this thread and has a MB that want to sell it....get in touch with me!!!! ;)

They do show up for sale from previous owners once in awhile, but my understanding is that Chuck isn't taking new additions to his waitlist. And getting one of his that shows up on his website periodically, well that truly is like winning the lottery (even people that emailed within a minute of his last posting didn't get in on time)!

hawaii 50
04-24-2013, 06:39 AM
They do show up for sale from previous owners once in awhile, but my understanding is that Chuck isn't taking new additions to his waitlist. And getting one of his that shows up on his website periodically, well that truly is like winning the lottery (even people that emailed within a minute of his last posting didn't get in on time)!

I know both of the people that got their MBs from Chuck's website..yes sold in 1 Min. wow!

fumanshu
04-24-2013, 06:40 AM

Yeah...I guess I'll need to wait for a while then!!!! That's just too bad!!

dkcrown
04-24-2013, 06:48 AM
Nice to hear from you that own both!!!! Well I think it gives me a good idea.....Lighter....I like that!!! ;)

I also own both a King and a MB. My King is Claro Walnut/Swiss Spruce while my MB's are koa so the tone comparison is not apples to apples. My King long scale tenor has more volume than my MB's, which could be attributed to the larger body and longer scale. But it is also comperable in weight to the Moore Bettah's. It's sound is bright with a nice punch to it. But the build quality and finish, which I would say is excellent, is not to the level of Chuck's ukes. And the playability of Chuck's ukes are second to none. For those that have had the chance to own and play one of Chuck's ukes, you know what I am talking about.

Sorry to highjack the thread Bob, your LFdM is beautiful!

fumanshu
04-24-2013, 06:53 AM
I also own both a King and a MB. My King is Claro Walnut/Swiss Spruce while my MB's are koa so the tone comparison is not apples to apples. My King long scale tenor has more volume than my MB's, which could be attributed to the larger body and longer scale. But it is also comperable in weight to the Moore Bettah's. It's sound is bright with a nice punch to it. But the build quality and finish, which I would say is excellent, is not to the level of Chuck's ukes. And the playability of Chuck's ukes are second to none. For those that have had the chance to own and play one of Chuck's ukes, you know what I am talking about.

Sorry to highjack the thread Bob, your LFdM is beautiful!

I've heard that MB is just more fine finished and build than the King......

Man you guys are killing me with all those nice ukes!!!!!

Dan Uke
04-24-2013, 07:18 AM
I've only played a King long-neck concert so I can't give a true assessment as I am a tenor man and it sounded like it had a Napolean complex. That's they same way I look at my Kamaka long-neck concert...I describe the MBU, LFDM, and Kamaka as the 3 tenors.

MBU - Luciano Pavarotti: Confident and each note is spot on
LFdM - Placido Domingo: Sings with so much passion
Kamaka - Jose Carreras: Wants to play with the big boys but not as strong

Bob, more feedback from you please!!

fumanshu
04-24-2013, 08:15 AM
I've only played a King long-neck concert so I can't give a true assessment as I am a tenor man and it sounded like it had a Napolean complex. That's they same way I look at my Kamaka long-neck concert...I describe the MBU, LFDM, and Kamaka as the 3 tenors.

MBU - Luciano Pavarotti: Confident and each note is spot on
LFdM - Placido Domingo: Sings with so much passion
Kamaka - Jose Carreras: Wants to play with the big boys but not as strong

Bob, more feedback from you please!!

Nice description!!!!! :)

Dan Uke
04-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Aloha Lenny,
I would love to put my MB against a LDFM and compare...I have owned and played some of the top customs and nothing compares to it so far...nothing
like you said comes even close, it is simply on another level in tone and looks bruddah...I think Chuckie may have put his extra mana in for me... :)
but that does not leave me closed minded, I will still try and buy ukes I like if I like the tone, comfort and asthetics that comes along... :)

Right on Stan!

I've seen his collection and I really believe he likes all his ukes, of course some more than others.

RichM
04-24-2013, 09:29 AM
I won't play the comparison game, but I will state for the record that my Moore Bettah and my LFdM are both *very* high quality instruments that are very satisfying both aurally and visually.

mm stan
04-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Always happy to share comparison between ukes....I have a walnut claro/ redwood to super concert William King....it is warm and a nice rich tone, but to size, wood and other factors
it is quite different from my moore better Milo/ spruce top clean crsip note separation and balance tone....so hard to compare with different woods and different sizes to be fair actually to william king. Yes Rich is right, I too do not like to make comparisons publicaly online because it is always going to be rude and offensive to one side...I know you all want to share the info among others
but it simply is not right thing to do...much better discussing this priviately in a PM...and as always all ukes may sound and have a different voice, even from the same builder....

hawaii 50
04-24-2013, 09:51 AM
I won't play the comparison game, but I will state for the record that my Moore Bettah and my LFdM are both *very* high quality instruments that are very satisfying both aurally and visually.

Thanks Rich..
I know what you mean..I am sure if you wanted to post a comparison you would of done it already..

Lfdm getting busy hope he still has his guitar business after he gets all his uke orders..i guess he made his name building guiitars..

bobmyers
04-24-2013, 10:06 AM
I have to agree with RichM, MB and LFdM are top of the line instruments, very few can compare both in construction, finish and sound.
Having said that, they are different, not better or worse. My Amigo's sound is brighter than my MB, I attribute that to the dense hardwood Zericote used in its back and sides, not to mention its Southcoast ML-RW strings. My MB is more mellow, I attribute same to strings ML-FW and the tone wood Milo.
So the bottom line is you pick the style that pleases you most and if you are really lucky you pick both.
One thing has to be made clear as a work of art the Amigo is a wonderful instrument, the MB is a work of art extreme.
Regards,
Bob Myers (I just love them both)

fumanshu
04-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Thanks Rich..
I know what you mean..I am sure if you wanted to post a comparison you would of done it already..

Lfdm getting busy hope he still has his guitar business after he gets all his uke orders..i guess he made his name building guiitars..

You're right Luis at first was a flamenco and classical guitars builder. He's very known for his flamenco guitars which at guitar salon get so much praise from flamenco guitar player...

Tigeralum2001
04-24-2013, 01:46 PM
I've played many high-end ukes. My personal favorite is Moore Bettah. If anyone has buyers remorse after buying a MB, I will take it off your hands or trade you a uke of your choice. PM me. :)

I am glad sound and tone are somewhat subjective. The more builders, the merrier! I am glad that we have such a large selection from which to choose.

LFdMs seem great, truly. I am glad he has so many happy customers. That said, my offer stands. :)

Dan Uke
04-24-2013, 02:16 PM

Hopefully he still builds guitars or he'll go broke!! LOL

Just got an email today saying that he'll be making 7 at once so we need to make all last requests now or it'll affect the whole flow. He's stopping guitars during this process. He's glued the 2 piece tops and backs and bent the sides but it'll take until end of July or beginning of August. Sounds like a lot of hours!!

Bob, you lucky you already got yours and enjoying it!!

fumanshu
04-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Hopefully he still builds guitars or he'll go broke!! LOL

Just got an email today saying that he'll be making 7 at once so we need to make all last requests now or it'll affect the whole flow. He's stopping guitars during this process. He's glued the 2 piece tops and backs and bent the sides but it'll take until end of July or beginning of August. Sounds like a lot of hours!!

Wow that's a whole bunch for him to do at the same time!!!! Knowing how he works, it must takes him lots of time to do all these 7 ukes!!!

AndrewKuker
04-24-2013, 04:25 PM

true dat. nobody is allowed to call or email....please? 7 sides-
https://s4ee134128e51b.img.gostorego.com/802754/cdn/media/s4/ee/13/41/28/e5/1b/LFDM_famous7_sides_shot.jpg

rubber necker
04-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Beautiful ukuleles I read that an LFDM ukulele takes 150 hours to build,i am guessing he is going to be busy for awhile now
how long is the waiting list?

Doc_J
04-24-2013, 04:58 PM
true dat. nobody is allowed to call or email....please? 7 sides-
https://s4ee134128e51b.img.gostorego.com/802754/cdn/media/s4/ee/13/41/28/e5/1b/LFDM_famous7_sides_shot.jpg

Wow that wood selection is gorgeous! what woods are those ? Maple,ebony, ziricote, rosewood ?

Are those all for HMS? Wow!

Dan Uke
04-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Beautiful ukuleles I read that an LFDM ukulele takes 150 hours to build,i am guessing he is going to be busy for awhile now
how long is the waiting list?

I would call Andrew and reserve one...I have a feeling that they will be snatched up quickly.

Dan Uke
04-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Wow that wood selection is gorgeous! what woods are those ? Maple,ebony, ziricote, rosewood ?

Maple, 2 ziricote, 4 macassar ebony

rubber necker
04-24-2013, 06:21 PM
I would call Andrew and reserve one...I have a feeling that they will be snatched up quickly.

Thank you nongdam for your help

would like to hear how an Lfdm sounds in person before I buy one,I have heard and played a Moore Bettah before and I like the sound

if you had to choose between your Moore Bettah and your Lfdm which one would you pick and why?

Thanks again for your help

fumanshu
04-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Thank you nongdam for your help

would like to hear how an Lfdm sounds in person before I buy one,I have heard and played a Moore Bettah before and I like the sound

if you had to choose between your Moore Bettah and your Lfdm which one would you pick and why?

Thanks again for your help

This is such a personal choice......i would say each builders have their sound....now it's just a matter of taste....They are both 2 top notch builders....

If you want to hear some soundclips of LFDM, it's what I'm playing with on my soundclips on sound cloud........

rubber necker
04-24-2013, 06:48 PM
This is such a personal choice......i would say each builders have their sound....now it's just a matter of taste....They are both 2 top notch builders....

If you want to hear some soundclips of LFDM, it's what I'm playing with on my soundclips on sound cloud........

Thank you fumanshu for your help

but I do not like listening sound clips on my computer

I live in Las Vegas and have family in Hawaii so I will check the Lfdm at HMS when I visit

just was wondering as nongdam has helped me before so I just wanted to see which of the two ukuleles He would pick if he could only have one

thanks anyway for your help

AndrewKuker
04-24-2013, 07:07 PM

No, we have 4 of them. And I have no opinion until I actually know. I just got them because Daniel said, "hey, these ukes sound amazing, but they're probably too unique for you store" (something like that) So I was like Pfff! Too unique?, "Hello Luis..."
They take 150 hours to build because his only tool is a piece of broken glass from a whiskey bottle. That's how they do it in Canada. (I think)

Dan Uke
04-24-2013, 07:31 PM
No, we have 4 of them. And I have no opinion until I actually know. I just got them because Daniel said, "hey, these ukes sound amazing, but they're probably too unique for you store" (something like that) So I was like Pfff! Too unique?, "Hello Luis..."
They take 150 hours to build because his only tool is a piece of broken glass from a whiskey bottle. That's how they do it in Canada. (I think)

hahaha...I don't recall that conversation!! I said something about it doesn't sound Hawaiian and you wrote Hala and a bunch of other words that I didn't understand as it was pidgin...I barely understand English...You know I'm ESL. LOL Andrew's a baller garans ball barans...never heard in real life so decides to order 4!! :worship:

The Canadians drink Crown Royal!! I met my wife at Korean Night Club and that's what we drank...Wow...memories...long time ago!! If you've never been, you gotta go...much different than Korean Bars in Hawaii :cheers:

hawaii 50
04-24-2013, 07:37 PM
hahaha...I don't recall that conversation!! I said something about it doesn't sound Hawaiian and you wrote Hala and a bunch of other words that I didn't understand as it was pidgin...I barely understand English...You know I'm ESL. LOL Andrew's a baller garans ball barans...never heard in real life so decides to order 4!! :worship:

The Canadians drink Crown Royal!! I met my wife at Korean Night Club and that's what we drank...Wow...memories...long time ago!! If you've never been, you gotta go...much different than Korean Bars in Hawaii :cheers:

Hey Daniel we hijack the thread again
memories growing up in Hawaii,,going to the Korean bars..if I stayed away I would have 10 more ukes now and more money..Haha

looks like lots of the Lfdms have macassar ebony tone wood....you think he going to build one with Sinker Redwood top too.. ordered my CR with that combination Lol

AndrewKuker
04-24-2013, 08:38 PM
LOL Andrew's a baller garans ball barans...never heard in real life so decides to order 4!!

I'm not a baller! It's not like they're going to me. If we're gonna show the line I can't buy one.
The only thing I'm sure of is that these 4 we're getting are gonna be better than Stan's MB.
I kid! I kid!

mm stan
04-24-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm not a baller! It's not like they're going to me. If we're gonna show the line I can't buy one.
The only thing I'm sure of is that these 4 we're getting are gonna be better than Stan's MB.
I kid! I kid!

Okay Bruddah Andrew, we don't use names here to protect the innocent..arg arg (Dragnet quote)
I got a PM from Luis and he said all who participated in this thread will not get a build or receive their builds....hee hee I kid, I Kid :)
Is this thread still going yet? Bob you know the sensiable and responsible thing to do ...:)
I think Chuckie may be getting irritated already...and No MB's for all of you... (Soup Nazi Quote) :)

coolcow
04-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Bob, Welcome to the big family, I love my LFDM since day one!! :)

No MB's for all of you... Evil stan hahaha lol juz kid

Doc_J
04-25-2013, 06:45 AM
.....you think he going to build one with Sinker Redwood top too.. ordered my CR with that combination Lol

Hey Len, this just showed up today. LFdM AMIGO XVIII Sinker Redwood with Ziricote and curly maple binding. Wow. Love the looks and the sound of this uke (strings are still stretching should sound even better in a day or so). The redwood gives some nice warmth to it. Didn't realize that Ziricote was this nice.

UPS Shipping prices from Canada are no fun (had to cut a check for broker fees at my door to get the package), but otherwise Remenyi's was a great place to buy from.

Here's a slide show for more pics. http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/Doc_Jenkins/slideshow/LFdM

**edit add sound sample

Here's a first day (slowing going out of tune) sample with Aquila strings -low g.
https://www.box.com/s/gfdsk0oef70cioueubik

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050075_zps2e9abc83.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050079_zpseca325e9.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050080_zpsacb4fec4.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050082_zps4af3b2b7.jpg

Stevelele
04-25-2013, 07:24 AM
So that's who got the sinker redwood uke! Nice one, Doc--I had my eye on it, but decided to go a different direction....

Hey Len, this just showed up today. LFdM AMIGO XVIII Sinker Redwood with Ziricote and curly maple binding. Wow. Love the looks and the sound of this uke (strings are still stretching should sound even better in a day or so). The redwood gives some nice warmth to it. Didn't realize that Ziricote was this nice.

UPS Shipping prices from Canada are no fun (had to cut a check for broker fees at my door to get the package), but otherwise Remenyi's was a great place to buy from.

Here's a slide show for more pics. http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/Doc_Jenkins/slideshow/LFdM

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050075_zps2e9abc83.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050079_zpseca325e9.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050080_zpsacb4fec4.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050082_zps4af3b2b7.jpg

Doc_J
04-25-2013, 08:35 AM
I love the sound of this uke. The redwood and ziricote sound just right to me.

Here's a first day (slowing going out of tune) sample with Aquila strings -low g.

It should be better when the strings settle and stay in tune.

Another couple pics:
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050092_zpsebbef7cd.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050085_zpsc3f5e898.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050083_zps90092a5b.jpg

Dan Uke
04-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Wow Doc, that combo sounds amazing...I use SC round wound for mine. I think he's getting better with each build.

fumanshu
04-25-2013, 01:26 PM
I love the sound of this uke. The redwood and ziricote sound just right to me.

It should be better when the strings settle and stay in tune.

Another couple pics:
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050092_zpsebbef7cd.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050085_zpsc3f5e898.jpg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050083_zps90092a5b.jpg

Hey Doc!!!! Welcome to the LFDM club!!!! Man your uke is awesome!!!! As I can see, Luis still keeps his standard in his building process...it still has that nice finish and details that I have on mine that is quite dated since it was one of the very first that Luis build.

As for your sound clip, I recognize that sound signature of his uke. Mine sounds quite similar to yours but again Luis uke has a signature tone in my personal book....

The biggest upgrade that you can do for your uke is to change the strings!!!! I always said to Luis to put the same same strings that I'm using on mine ut because it's hard here to get them, well Luis simple use Aquila.....it's the only thing that I didn't like on my uke when I got it 2-3 years ago.

Congrats once again for your new baby!

NewKid
04-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Doc, that is such a beautiful instrument! Congratulations, I'm happy for you.

Don

pcspud
04-25-2013, 01:40 PM
What a stunning instrument!

Doc_J
04-25-2013, 03:01 PM

The biggest upgrade that you can do for your uke is to change the strings!!!! I always said to Luis to put the same same strings that I'm using on mine ut because it's hard here to get them, well Luis simple use Aquila.....it's the only thing that I didn't like on my uke when I got it 2-3 years ago.

Thanks for the comments, congrats and good wishes everyone.

Bao, what strings do recommend for the LFdM. Savarez?

fumanshu
04-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the comments, congrats and good wishes everyone.

Bao, what strings do recommend for the LFdM. Savarez?

Doc, I use Oasis GPX but I use the classical guitar set. I just don't know if the new ukulele set are just repackeging of their classical guitar set or not....but I always bought their GPC...it's also important that you buy the normal tension because it's already a lot of tension....by the way Oasis GPX normal tension...the A string tend to break......

I was suppose to get the strings for Luis since I know the guy who is the distributor or Oasis product for Canada and he's like 5 minutes form my house.....Luis knows that I strung his uke that way and he likes the tone that I get.....

Hope that help Doc!

Bao

bobmyers
04-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Congrats Doc really sweet. So you think we cleaned out Remenyi, NOT, Mary Mac may have something to say about that soon.
I am using Southcoast ML_RW on mine and they sound great, I plan to try the ML-FW in the future. I use the FW on my MB, the RW are louder but the FW are as smooth as butter.
Bob Myers

dkcrown
04-26-2013, 03:57 AM
Bob, do you use the beads with the Flat Wounds on your MB?

Doc_J
04-26-2013, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the string recommendations, Bao and Bob.

Shopping list: Oasis GPX normal tension and Southcoast ML_RW or FW.

Remenyi's had the Spruce with Mahogany left last week. So, Mary got that one?

Dan Uke
04-26-2013, 05:05 AM
I just put on Flat Wounds on my MBU since I love the Round Wounds and I don't like them. They are thinner and higher tension compared to the RW and I confirmed that with a email from Dirk at SC. He also said the FW are mellower than the RW. He said in a month or so, he created a new wound set that is very even in tension but with very little squeek so in between the FL & RL...he said this is the best set yet! He will also start work on a wound heavy guage.

I will wait for those but if I had to choose between the 2, it would definitely be the RL as I don't mind the squeek. Strings have to sound good but have to feel right for me as well. It's all subjective so try them all!

grendel1972
04-26-2013, 06:37 AM
I just put on Flat Wounds on my MBU since I love the Round Wounds and I don't like them. They are thinner and higher tension compared to the RW and I confirmed that with a email from Dirk at SC. He also said the FW are mellower than the RW. He said in a month or so, he created a new wound set that is very even in tension but with very little squeek so in between the FL & RL...he said this is the best set yet! He will also start work on a wound heavy guage.

Thanks for this info! I can't wait to try these new wound sets out. I lean the other way from you, as I don't like the squeak, but I do like the tension and size of the RWs. The new set sounds very promising.

bobmyers
04-26-2013, 08:38 AM
No beads on MB, the flat wound Southcoasts have a loop on the end and I just pull the string straight through and let the loop hold it at the bridge.
Dirk says the FW should have no sharp bends, so the straighter the better.
I do love the RW as much but I have the old set and they do tend to tear up my finger tips a bit, only after playing an hour or so. I mostly play chords so the fingers get a lot more use then melody.
As to the spruce mahogany ukaferri you will have to ask Mary Mac if she knows anything about that.
Bob

bobmyers
04-26-2013, 08:41 AM
I'll close this tread tomorrow unless you guys want to keep it open a little longer?
Bob

grendel1972
04-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Well, you all are a bunch of enablers. I'm on the LFdM build queue for his December build. :)

RichM
04-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Well, you all are a bunch of enablers. I'm on the LFdM build queue for his December build. :)

You won't regret it. Luis is the best ukulele builder that most people haven't heard of yet.

Dan Uke
04-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Hey Doc,

How's the finish? The flash makes it look like the sanding marks are very noticeable

Dan Uke
04-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Thanks for this info! I can't wait to try these new wound sets out. I lean the other way from you, as I don't like the squeak, but I do like the tension and size of the RWs. The new set sounds very promising.

I'm gonna call him Baskin's Robbins cuz he has 31 flavors or difft sets of strings! LOL

grendel1972
04-26-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm gonna call him Baskin's Robbins cuz he has 31 flavors or difft sets of strings! LOL

If strings were ice cream, I'd weigh about 600 pounds, because I have to try every flavor!

Doc_J
04-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Hey Doc,

How's the finish? The flash makes it look like the sanding marks are very noticeable

The finish is excellent. It has a very nice gloss finish. I will never be a professional photographer. :o
I should stop using a flash and stick with natural light.

There is a small region near the cut out where there is a color variation in the redwood. I'm not sure if the color variation is natural to the sinker redwood (this log was underwater for like a 100 years soaking up minerals and silt) or glue residue, while binding. But in person it is fine, no issues. I do not expect absolute perfection. This uke is well made and finished.
I was lucky to get this one. Luis made it just like I would have a custom made.

Here's more of my lousy pics in daylight.

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050100_zps06262d2d.jpg

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/LFdM/P1050094_zpse1ff8c21.jpg

fumanshu
04-26-2013, 03:14 PM

Rich is right, you won't regret!!! You will see how good is Luis!!!! I've tried and play a whole bunch of good ukes in the past 6-7 years and seriously, Luis is an extremely talented builder that a lot of people just don,t know yet!!!!

CTurner
04-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Doc J: Was it a low G tenor you were aiming for? Since a number of users have said the Luis ukes have a more "guitarish" sound (I suspect something like my Lichty?) that the low g would be a good match. Did you consider re-entrant tuning as well? That is a lovely uke. My Lichty has the sinker redwood top as well; like yours there can be very tiny fiber variations due to mineral absorption.
Congratulations on that excellent uke. Sounds really great.

mm stan
04-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Congrats Doc,
Looks real nice..I love the green piping...happy strummings...have fun enjoy I guess I know what you will be doing this weekend :)

Doc_J
04-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Doc J: Was it a low G tenor you were aiming for? Since a number of users have said the Luis ukes have a more "guitarish" sound (I suspect something like my Lichty?) that the low g would be a good match. Did you consider re-entrant tuning as well? That is a lovely uke. My Lichty has the sinker redwood top as well; like yours there can be very tiny fiber variations due to mineral absorption.
Congratulations on that excellent uke. Sounds really great.

Thanks Craig. Luis had it setup low G, and I really think it sounds great that way, and suits the uke very well. I may try reentrant later.

Redwood seems to a good middle between spruce and cedar. This is the 2nd ukulele Luis has made using a special sinker Redwood. He said there will be just one tenor more from this particular sinker redwood.

Congrats Doc,
Looks real nice..I love the green piping...happy strummings...have fun enjoy I guess I know what you will be doing this weekend :)

My Moore Bettah soprano has the green purfling too. So green must be my color :D

bobmyers
04-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Ok guys this is my last post on this thread. Let me say it has been fun, and informative and I have seen some ukulele pictures to die for.
Going back to the introduction of my Amigo XIX I have some preliminary findings with regard to the sound and playability of the MB vs the LFdM.
I am not going to compare the sound qualities in detail, I need a lot more info and playing time. Also the Engleman is slower to open than the Sitka and is also newer.
The strings are different so this is a subjective opinion.
MB is mellower by far and on some songs sound incredible. LFdM is louder and brighter and has the most sustain I have ever heard. In fact to move on in a song I need to deaden the sustain with a dead hand on the strings. Play ability is hands down in favor of the LFdM, I my opinion its all about the radius on the fret board. not the set up. The MB is set up perfectly but I need to apply more pressure to play because of the flat frets. That one change would make this a no brainer if I was Chuck, but I doubt that my opinion counts for much, and I know many others actually prefer the flat fret.
There is no comparison when we talk about the instrument as a work of art. MB wins hands down. That is not to say that LFdM does not make a georgeous uke its just more common in fit and finish, still one of the best, but for a little more than half the price of the MB I can understand why his time is spent on construction and sound than the look. So here are my scores.
MB LFdM
Sound 10 10
Playability 9 10
Finish 10 9
Art 10 7
Overall 10 10
Winner by a hair MB, but I could not sell the LFdM if my life depended on it. I could (calm yourself MB fans its not happening ) part with my MB first.
Later on after I have a chance to find the magic bullet strings for each and allow the instruments to truly open I will have more to offer, not to mention my skills improving.
Regards to all and thanks for all your good wishes.
Bob

bobmyers
04-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Please have mercy on me a sinner.
Bob

bobmyers
04-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Don and others, please don't be confused, I have not passed the mantle of excellence, just expressed my personal preference. I treasure my MB and I am just thrilled with my LFdM. I could not be happier with both. All things being equal its about my personal preference for a radius on my fret board, otherwise MB would be a bigger winner. I really should have just shut up. I feel like I betrayed one of my greatest idols.
And now I think I will finally shut up.
Bob

Dan Uke
04-27-2013, 02:29 PM
What's interesting is we ask questions like what is your favorite K brand and what's the best uke under $500 and so forth. I don't think there is anything wrong in asking as it's all personal preference. I've read many times that "INSERT BRAND HERE" is the best uke I've ever tried. It's all good.

I hope if there are owners or people who has tried them and don't like them, please speak up! Let's have an open dialogue instead of hiding behind PMs.

We are allowed to buy more than one uke and the the luthiers and retailers would appreciate if we do :)

fumanshu
04-28-2013, 06:40 AM
What's interesting is we ask questions like what is your favorite K brand and what's the best uke under $500 and so forth. I don't think there is anything wrong in asking as it's all personal preference. I've read many times that "INSERT BRAND HERE" is the best uke I've ever tried. It's all good.

I hope if there are owners or people who has tried them and don't like them, please speak up! Let's have an open dialogue instead of hiding behind PMs.

We are allowed to buy more than one uke and the the luthiers and retailers would appreciate if we do :)

Totally agree with you.....I think there are places for a lot of uke builders in the industry and we all have our preferences so it's all good forus to have such a nice selection of good builders....

Here's a little new recording that I did with my LFDM...it's only an arpegiated chords but you can still hear the tone....

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao

rubber necker
04-28-2013, 08:23 AM
Luis says on his website that in four years, he has built approximately 20 ukuleles. He mainly builds guitars. There's another 7 in progress for completion in July/August. The Cedar/Maple one is mine.

This thread is stunning praise for a builder who is still learning this instrument and probably has his best work ahead of him. What a great start!

Too bad we feel a need to compare builders because what's the point? It seems like a disservice to everyone involved. I certainly have been guilty of this myself and trying to stop.

Mahalo,

Don

This is one of the most confusing threads I ever saw on the Ukulele Underground,it seems like a commercial for Lfdm
I understand that people love this ukulele but it is only the same people saying the same thing over and over

I read that one Lfdm ukulele takes 150 hours to be built,so seven should take about six to seven months but all seven ready in three months are they working twenty hours a day? I thought it was a one person shop,do they have more than one builder now?

Doc_J
04-28-2013, 08:35 AM
I read that one Lfdm ukulele takes 150 hours to be built,so seven should take about six to seven months but all seven ready in three months are they working twenty hours a day? I thought it was a one person shop,do they have more than one builder now?

I imagine most luthiers work longer than 40 hours per week. Luis builds in batches also which might reduce the prep time per uke.

Sorry if this thread seems like a commercial. We were just celebrating wonderful new ukes entering our lives.

fumanshu
04-28-2013, 12:58 PM
This is one of the most confusing threads I ever saw on the Ukulele Underground,it seems like a commercial for Lfdm
I understand that people love this ukulele but it is only the same people saying the same thing over and over

Luis is working by batch when he has to build the ukes......because after his batch he used to get back to his guitar building....

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao .....new duet song......

rubber necker
04-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Luis is working by batch when he has to build the ukes......because after his batch he used to get back to his guitar building....

I understand his Build list closed now and I guess he builds the ukulele faster if he does in batches?
this is still the most confusing thread I ever saw on the UU

Dan Uke
04-29-2013, 06:40 AM
I understand his Build list closed now and I guess he builds the ukulele faster if he does in batches?
this is still the most confusing thread I ever saw on the UU

HAHA...RN, you gotta remember that Luis only made about 20 ukes so most people can't comment besides giving a congratulation except for those owning one or those who are getting one soon. There just isn't enough of them out there. Sorry for the confusion.

I have no idea on the waitlist but Grendel just got on. I can't imagine that anyone can get overbooked from this thread! hahaha

rubber necker
04-29-2013, 07:35 AM

Thank you Nongdam as usual,
this is the post that has me confused.Fumanshu says Lfdm going back to building guitars after he done with his batch of 7 ukulele that is why I said his ukulele orders are closed

and is it true he takes 150 hours to build one ukulele? I must of read it on the Ukulele Underground,but that is why sometimes I think there is too much false information on this site.

I do not plan to order a Lfdm but this thread has gone all over the place,so I wanted to comment on it

Thank you your info

Stevelele
04-29-2013, 07:43 AM
I'm the one who passed along the information about the 150 hour build time for Luis. But that would be the time it takes if he were to build one uke by itself. When he's building in batches, he saves a lot of time, so it's not the case that 10 ukes built at once would take 1500 hours. This information came from Luis himself.

this is the post that has me confused.Fumanshu says Lfdm going back to building guitars after he done with his batch of 7 ukulele that is why I said his ukulele orders are closed

and is it true he takes 150 hours to build one ukulele? I must of read it on the Ukulele Underground,but that is why sometimes I think there is too much false information on this site.

I do not plan to order a Lfdm but this thread has gone all over the place,so I wanted to comment on it

Thank you your info

grendel1972
04-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Was emailing today with Luis about my build, and he indicated that there was one spot left in the December build. Not sure if that spot is still available or not (wasn't that long ago, but who knows), but just wanted to let folks know given the prior post that the build queue was closed, which doesn't appear to have been based on accurate information.

Dan Uke
04-29-2013, 08:05 AM

Thank you your info

No problem...We all gotta remember there are lots of great builders out there.

I heard the limited edition 100th Anniversary Kamakas will have no tuners as it will stay pitch perfect and change keys by voice command. :p

fumanshu
04-29-2013, 08:54 AM
seriously, I'm so surprised tha Luis has a waiting list now!!!! When I bought my uke from him a few years back....almost no one know him except those flamenco guitar players...and now from nowhere, I see him recognize for his works as a uke builder.......I'm happy for him!

coolcow
04-29-2013, 01:16 PM
seriously, I'm so surprised tha Luis has a waiting list now!!!! When I bought my uke from him a few years back....almost no one know him except those flamenco guitar players...and now from nowhere, I see him recognize for his works as a uke builder.......I'm happy for him!

I hope our uke did encourage people to order from Luis, just simply happy for him.