What was the first song you could play completely from memory?

"Holes to Heaven" by Jack Johnson. There's a sweet live uke version somewhere on the internets, and it was the first song I figured out. :D

Something by the Beatles thanks to Dominator's excellent tab and video tutorials.

The picking to Supercali. It was required for our ukulele concert when I was taking lessons at Roy Sakuma's but it was pretty fun to memorize. :D

That would be the first song I was forced to learn by memory because it was for marching band. It was the opener, and it was simply called Concerto for Guitar. Drum Corps fans may know it by it being the '88 Madison Scouts opener. One of the few marching band arrangements with an important, difficult, and meaningful woodwind line. It was a "welcome to the big leagues, stupid freshman" song.

On uke? That would be the easy version of White Sandy Beach and House of the Rising Sun.

Howlin' Hobbits arrangement of "King of the Road". Still play it 'cause it's one of only about three songs I can play.

I started playing the guitar about 15 years ago and the uke about a month ago, so the first song I had comitted to memory was "Mary" by Sublime (on guitar) and my first uke song was "Red, Red Wine" by UB40. :)

The first thing i played from memory was Something Corporate's - "Hurricane". The only reason i could play that from memory is that basicly everytime i pick up a guitar i play it, that and realisticly its only like 5-6 chords.

mine would be fade away from pau hana! I can play it but i suck when it comes to singing lmao

^ A classic!

for me it was Sweet Jane.

On Guitar: it was Please Don't Bury Me - John Prine

Uke: Digga Digga Do - Dorthy Fields and Frankie and Johnnie - Folk song. Had to learn them at the same time for a show at our yearly Professional Development day lunch band back in Feb 07

Man I struggled to learn them by heart. It was hard to learn the lyrics.

Now I hate to play from sheet music. One thing for sure, if you want tolearn a song by heart don't stare at the music, does no good. I think it actually works against you .

I just can't beleive how much easier it is to learn them now. In the last week I've learned: I've Got my Love to Keep me Warm, Jingle Bell Rock, Mekle Kalikimaka, Jingle Bells Hawaiian Style, Ain't She Sweet chord solo, Santa Clause is Coming to Town, Blue Christmas, and We wish you a Merry Christmas.

Happy Birthday in C.

Ahead On Our Way(FFVII song). The first and only song I can play completely from memory. I'm not very good with remembering songs.

Top Bottom