PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see Jake on Conan?

mossyoak
02-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Your thoughts?

GotUke?
02-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I just finished watching it. In my opinion it was a great
performance I enjoyed it.

Howlie Boy
02-19-2008, 08:04 PM
thanks for the reminder, i almost forgot luckily its only 11 right now...

Howlie Boy

mossyoak
02-19-2008, 08:05 PM
I was hoping he would play that. Why wouldn't he?
I never realized how big Conan was. I thought it was awesome though

mossyoak
02-19-2008, 08:06 PM
I was hoping he would play that. Why wouldn't he?
I never realized how big Conan was. I thought it was awesome though

no problemo

AnthonyUkulele
02-19-2008, 08:11 PM
dont kill it for me they havent show it here in san diego yet

Aldrine Guerrero
02-19-2008, 08:33 PM
For those wonderin... here's the video :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4AO9bY1qis

GotUke?
02-19-2008, 08:34 PM

Damn, that was quick hahaha.

kyle
02-19-2008, 08:47 PM
haha man i swear it looks like he shrunk when conan stepped up next to him

Ukulele_Junkie
02-19-2008, 09:02 PM
haha man i swear it looks like he shrunk when conan stepped up next to him

i think he's only like 5'5'' or 5'6''. oh yeah conan doesnt start till 1230 here thanks for reminding me!

yomogimogi
02-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Just watched it. Friggin Awesome. Conan is a giant! Makes me want to get another UKE!!!

Link
02-19-2008, 11:12 PM
I love Jake Shimabukuro. That was a great performance. Not quite as good as the one shot in Central Park, if you haven't seen that vid, check it out on youtube. But it was still amazing.

Conan was deeply impressed! If you watch the show alot, you know that he never says stuff like that about the musical guests. Cool.

NukeDOC
02-19-2008, 11:30 PM
i think he's only like 5'5'' or 5'6''. oh yeah conan doesnt start till 1230 here thanks for reminding me!
actually, im 5'6" and i when i saw him, i was actually a few inches taller. funny thing, when he's on stage, it looks like he's 6' tall!

i thought it was AWESOME that conan said that about his performance. i have a new found respect for him now.

acabooe
02-20-2008, 12:50 AM
I enjoyed watching Jake on connan.
I noticed that he played a little slower than usual.
I also noticed that he changed the song a little for that performance.
Maybe because he didn't want to turn some people off with his shred playing.
I liked it though.

Aloha
Acabooe:cool:

davoomac
02-20-2008, 01:54 AM
Haven't seen it yet on Guam. I'm trying to decide if I want to watch it on that youtube link that aldrine posted .....:o

Orlando
02-20-2008, 03:07 AM
Jake did an amazing job last night. It was awesome what Conan said about him too. Oh, and when Jake hugged him, I had to laugh, he looked like a hobbit. I always forget how friggin tall conan is!

UKESTAR
02-20-2008, 03:26 AM
Conan slaughtered Jake's last name AGAIN...haha.

"Shimoobookooroo":eek:

Conan did this to him back in '05 too....

Conan did give him much praise though which is greatly deserved. Way to go Jake......you da man...

drubin
02-20-2008, 04:47 AM
I enjoyed the performance very much. Jake sounded great!

dajoka
02-20-2008, 05:07 AM
awesome performance! tanks eh fo posting um on youtube. i get hard enough time staying up fo da 10:00 news ;-P no way I goin make um up fo conan :-)

dang, i was wondering was you guys was talking about ... conan being HUGE! holy cow. he's a giant!

Ukulele_Junkie
02-20-2008, 05:15 AM
actually, im 5'6" and i when i saw him, i was actually a few inches taller. funny thing, when he's on stage, it looks like he's 6' tall!

i thought it was AWESOME that conan said that about his performance. i have a new found respect for him now.

Maybe he's 5'4.5" or 5'5" cuz i'm 5'4" and he was a bit taller than me when i saw him up at bremerton. that performance was great tho, he seems to have been hunching over more than usual tho. but overall great performance, haha everytime i watch the show tho I always have think why does conan look kinda funny, he has like little beady eyes, and a weird hairdooo. He has good taste in music tho so Right on Conan.

Gomets51
02-20-2008, 05:17 AM
Jake was freakin' amazing. Although I would've like to hear him play Dragon, Gently Weeps is his signature song. I thought that was a great version and Conan really seemed genuinely impressed. I wonder how many people in the audience are gonna go buy a uke now?

Oh, and what kind of uke was he playing? It was really nice looking/ sounding. Probably waaaay out of my price range, but just curious.

nikolo727
02-20-2008, 05:23 AM
when did jake play on conan?

Ukulele_Junkie
02-20-2008, 05:26 AM
when did jake play on conan?

last night

GX9901
02-20-2008, 05:29 AM
I caught the performance last night and it was very cool. I was watching it in HD and it was pretty clear that he was playing the version that's posted on Edmund's site almost exactly: http://www.uked.eu.kz/

Hopefully one day he gets an appearance on a show with a bigger audience. Maybe on Jay Leno's show someday?

NukeDOC
02-20-2008, 05:58 AM
Oh, and what kind of uke was he playing? It was really nice looking/ sounding. Probably waaaay out of my price range, but just curious.
its a custom made kamaka. and most likely, yes, out of most of our price ranges. but it is one nice machine.

I caught the performance last night and it was very cool. I was watching it in HD and it was pretty clear that he was playing the version that's posted on Edmund's site almost exactly: http://www.uked.eu.kz/

Hopefully one day he gets an appearance on a show with a bigger audience. Maybe on Jay Leno's show someday?
haha i noticed the link here, but i wanted to make sure i watched it in HD first. it was worth staying up till 0130 to catch that awesome performance.

maybe he'll get on the arsenio hall show next... ummm ooops. hahaha

NukeDOC
02-20-2008, 06:18 AM
again, for those that missed the show, here's a better quality link with less audio distortion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw3n7VURfXE

rayan
02-20-2008, 07:41 AM
This was the perfect song for Jake to play on National TV. For us, it's old news watching him play gently weeps, but most people in the country still haven't seen him rip it. Conan was genuinely impressed, much more than the last time Jake was on (he played 3rd stream last time). Hopefully this will encourage more people to take the ukulele seriously outside of Hawaii.

Dominator
02-20-2008, 08:23 AM
I noticed that he played a little slower than usual.
I also noticed that he changed the song a little for that performance.
Maybe because he didn't want to turn some people off with his shred playing.
I liked it though.

Aloha
Acabooe:cool:

I don't think that him changing the arrangement had anything to do with fear of turning people off from his shredding. Actually, the biggest change in the arrangement came after the shredding strum thing was over. Instead of going into the fast picking section he just jumped to the very end.

My guess is this: 99% of all the Weeps vids show Jake sitting. Here he was standing the entire time and he prefers to sit when he does that fast arpeggio/tremolo (or whatever you want to call it) picking. I have seen him crouch down while standing and rest the uke on his thigh to play that part but most of the time he will sit.

I like this new ending. I usually end it like he does with Tommy Emmanuel because I don't play that picking section very well. It never occurred to me to end it this way.

And yeah, I was sort of surprised at how small Jake looked next to Conan also.

rayan
02-20-2008, 08:55 AM

Yeah Jake is not that tall, but Conan is also 6'4" .

AnthonyUkulele
02-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah Jake is not that tall, but Conan is also 6'4" .

man im short HAHAHAHA but yeah stayed up just to watch that helluh tiite

Aldrine Guerrero
02-20-2008, 09:14 AM

Like how Aldrine looked next to Dom hahahahah

rayan
02-20-2008, 09:20 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing.

mossyoak
02-20-2008, 09:20 AM
This was the perfect song for Jake to play on National TV. For us, it's old news watching him play gently weeps, but most people in the country still haven't seen him rip it. Conan was genuinely impressed, much more than the last time Jake was on (he played 3rd stream last time). Hopefully this will encourage more people to take the ukulele seriously outside of Hawaii.

You're totally right! Your prediction will hopefully come true. when you say ukulele to most people they think of a dinky little instrument but after seeing someone like Jake play you see it in a whole new light.

ChiyoDad
02-20-2008, 09:29 AM
You're totally right! Your prediction will hopefully come true. when you say ukulele to most people they think of a dinky little instrument but after seeing someone like Jake play you see it in a whole new light.

We need more performers like Jake to change the perception of the uke on the mainland.

Thanks for posting the YouTube links. It was great to view the performance again!
:)

Howlie Boy
02-20-2008, 09:32 AM
I loved it. the only thing i didnt like was that the sound wasnt very loud. i had to turn my tv way up to hear it. not sure if its because its on hd or what. i have noticed some hd channels have low volume...

Any ways i loved it, he did alittle different rendition of the one that most people see on youtube. it was also alot shorter that that one. but still, conan was very impressed, as i. Oh and yes i did notice how small he looked next to conan. when cononal walked over there i told my wife look how small he is, either that or conan is huge!!!

Howlie Boy

Landon
02-20-2008, 09:34 AM
When he starts strumming at 2:48 till pretty much the end is what gets me. Man what i would give to play like that.

davoomac
02-20-2008, 11:04 AM
I just saw it on conan last night! Jake's performance is crazy and it was such a change from the last time he was on conan too. You could tell that Conan was genuinely impressed with Jake and his ukulele.

Jake must be a really small guy huh? What do you say 5'4", 5'5" 120lbs? maybe he makes conan look like a beast of a man lol and conan always boasts about how he is scrawny.

"We've been doing this show a long time ladies and gentlemen, that's one of my favorite things I've ever seen, over here, Jake shimabukuro.."

Ukulele_Junkie
02-20-2008, 11:22 AM
ha jake cant be 120lbs maybe 135-145. I'm 5'4" and i average at 155 and i'm not chunky

davoomac
02-20-2008, 12:00 PM
ha jake cant be 120lbs maybe 135-145. I'm 5'4" and i average at 155 and i'm not chunky

haha well i guess 120 is a bit low :)

mwalimu
02-20-2008, 03:40 PM

Maybe if Obama wins the election Jake will play the Inauguration.

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-20-2008, 07:18 PM

thanks aldrine, never seen it on tv.

tripl3thr33
02-21-2008, 07:11 AM
i was really hoping he would do a song from his "My Life" album. dont get me wrong though, i really loved his performance. i just think gently weeps is getting really..... overplayed? i dont know if that's the right word. but any performance with jake in it is awesome so im happy with that :D

Dominator
02-21-2008, 08:13 AM

Ha, that's funny. And here's the proof. At least my white legs aren't showing. Aldrine make's me look like Casper ;).

http://www.dominator.ukeland.com/Images/aldrine.JPG

davoomac
02-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Ha, that's funny. And here's the proof. At least my white legs aren't showing. Aldrine make's me look like Casper ;).

http://www.dominator.ukeland.com/Images/aldrine.JPG

How tall are you Dom?

Dominator
02-21-2008, 01:40 PM
How tall are you Dom?

Six foot and shrinking.

mike conway
02-22-2008, 08:20 PM
it's great to see the ukulele
getting recognition at this level.
jake was mystical.
edited by nukedoc: i asked you to abide by the rules through PM. put it in your signature and leave it at that.
thanks,
mike conway

tomzilla
02-23-2008, 02:53 AM
Where can you buy Jake's music from?

davoomac
02-23-2008, 02:58 AM
Where can you buy Jake's music from?

I'm pretty sure you can buy most, if not all of Jake's Cd's from amazon.com

Ukulele_Junkie
02-23-2008, 05:55 AM
itunes also has jake's music.

mossyoak
02-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Put Conan next to Dom and his head is out of the frame. he's 6'4"

jjsdad
02-23-2008, 02:12 PM
I have an uncle Ed Shimabukuro. I hope that makes me somehow related to Jake. :D Jake is awesome!

Thanks to whoever orginally posted that he was going to be on so I could set my TiVo. I have to add keyword ukulele to my WishList. :)

mossyoak
02-23-2008, 04:05 PM
No problem

dafamcallsmebj
02-23-2008, 07:26 PM

yeah...
after said that i was like DANG!!!!!
hahaha...
but yeah... jake is tiny next to conan...

studentaccount1
02-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Conan plays guitar doesn't he? I think that is why he really appreciates it so much. :)