PDA

View Full Version : Video of preparing uke kits for upcoming classes

Allen
04-24-2013, 12:31 PM
I just finished uploading to YouTube some footage that we shot during a recent trip to NSW where Liam, Micheal and I prepared kits for some upcoming ukulele building classes.

http://youtu.be/Kf0CEmeaoD4

connor013
04-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Very cool.

Am I losing my mind, or did you guys post something similar the last time you were setting up for a class?

Either way, makes for great viewing.

UkeKiddinMe
04-24-2013, 01:19 PM
It's a dream of mine to get to a class like that.

Trevor Phillips
04-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Very good vid Allen - nice setup too. How do you manage to control the humidity in that cavernous workshop in a place like Cairns??
Was that CA you were using to join the plates?

soulman
04-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Good to see your process, Great video. Michael has a good setup there.

Allen
04-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Very cool.

Am I losing my mind, or did you guys post something similar the last time you were setting up for a class?

Either way, makes for great viewing.

I do a video each year so that participants in the course get to see what goes into getting the raw wood to the point that they will be starting to build with it. First year I did this it was New Guinea Rosewood. Then it was Brazilian Mahogany. This year Australian Blackwood. It also gives us a basis and a bit of background for the Master Class that is run the on last day after their instruments are completed. They get a chance to resaw some wood from a billet. Joint book matches, use hot hide glue, learn about different ways to bend sides etc.

Very good vid Allen - nice setup too. How do you manage to control the humidity in that cavernous workshop in a place like Cairns??
Was that CA you were using to join the plates?

That workshop is my mate Micheal Connor's. It's in the hills behind Byron Bay. He has a walk in cold storage room that he's converted into a dry room for his work. I've got a dry room set up in my workshop in Cairns. During the festival, we are in our dry season, and relative humidity is between 42 and 50%. So perfect for working and enjoying a cold beer at the end of the day.

Hot hide glue used to join plates and all components in the neck. During the class we'll use PVA glue, as it's just not feasible to have that many glue pots on the go.