My playing days are mostly over

Captain Simian

Reaction score
Post Deleted

Last edited:
That's to bad Captain. Sorry to hear this. I wish you the best.

Sorry to hear that Captain. Perhaps you can find some other outlet for creativity and passion in your life. When life gives you lemons.....

Incredibly sorry to hear. Are you going to keep any for sentimental purposes?

Sorry to hear of this Captain, guess it's time to look for the silver lining. Good thing is you discovered the uke and can at least still play your sopranos for short periods of time without too much discomfort. I wish you the very best like the other guys and really hope that things look up and you are able to find a balance in your life and continue to nurture your creative side.

Sorry to read this, Captain.

I hope you figure out a way to keep the "lot like music" alive, even if it isn't with the uke.

Ouch. I just realized yesterday (I'm only 40 years old) that there'll come a day when I won't be able to play uke, guitar, bass, drums, etc. Then I thought, "I'll never stop singing, no matter how awful my voice gets."

Keep your eyes, mind, and heart open, and another creative outlet will reveal itself.

Best wishes...I can't even imagine not being able to make noise on my uke...although my neighbors might not mind so much...

Sorry for this Cap'n. Hang on to as much music as you can.

So sorry to hear of your pain. You might look at an iPad and Garage Band, and see if you can make some music with minimal movement. Take a look at this [video]http://www.ipadcreative.com/blog/2011/3/29/a-superb-40-minute-garageband-tutorial-video.html[/video] starting at about 17:28 to see a demo of virtual guitar playing. The Garage Band app also has great strings (cello, violins etc) and you don't have to record to make music. It is just fun and soothing to play around with it.

–Lori

PS – save one of your amps... you might be able to plug the iPad into it and use it as a large speaker. You just need the right cords and a proper input jack. I have a new Fender Passport Mini, and it works great for that.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that. Have you considered harmonica?

I took up harmonica after many years not playing it partly at least, against the day when I couldn't manage flute or recorder, and now uke. I have to be a bit careful as I had some problems with RSI in my right elbow a few years back and although it cleared up, it has started to recur recently.

Nevertheless, I enjoy harmonica as an instrument in its own right and that's mostly what I play when our band plays for dances.

That's sad to hear; my husband's grandfather was a music professor and his main instrument was cello. He can't play any more due to arthritis.

Keep on doing what you can!

Aloha Captain Simian,
Glad to hear from you, but so sorry to hear the bad new on your wrists and elbows....I am sure you thought this out well already and there is no way we can change your mind...I do hope
you can still visit us here and participate...maybe it will be good theraphy...I hope you can one day return...and or find another creative outlet..wishing you well my friend, keep active and healthy
Take care and many blessings brother...

Aloha Captain Simian,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Hope things improve or at the least work out for you.

Top Bottom