Drum sanding

Timbuck

Reaction score
When I thickness the one piece Backs and Tops of sopranos on the Jet 10-20 I don't see the point in sanding wood that will be cut off later and end in the bin..So I profile the plates first then sand.
Here is another youtube (Watching Paint Dry Production Video) I made of Mrs Timbuck at work sanding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSNHw9a53Ps

But where is the special machine which cuts all 12 backs/tops to shape in a single pass? I can't believe that you don't have at least a jig for that!

I'm kind of amazed that you are able to thickness them on the 10-20 without having to use a carrier board. Gives me TAS

But where is the special machine which cuts all 12 backs/tops to shape in a single pass? I can't believe that you don't have at least a jig for that!

I tape e'm all together 6 at a time with masking tape then mark out the top one on the pile with the template and then trim all six in one go on the bandsaw...I've not try'd 12 yet:D

How much more do you think you take off during final sanding? Do you hand sand them once assembled or use a sander?
Mrs Timbuck will sand them by hand a little before applying FP ..but nothing severe just a light once over with 200 grit to remove any marks...I find a rough flat CLA finish keys well into the first layer FP application on Mahogany.

Last edited:

I'm starting to believe that Ken just films and Mrs. Timbuck does all the real work.

Top Bottom