PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Double ukulele cases

ukeeku
04-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Some people know that I have been racking my brain on making a double ukulele hard case. When I talk to those that make single hard cases they think I am crazy (And I may be), but I think there is a market.
Please select the case combos you think would work.
Also please comment on any thoughts you have on the matter.

hoosierhiver
04-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Voted concert/tenor, my other choice would be tenor/tenor.

ukeeku
04-25-2013, 08:42 AM
mE NO TYPe swellS, Surry

ukeeku
04-25-2013, 08:43 AM

you can do multiple

GaryC1968
04-25-2013, 08:44 AM
I chose double tenor since there was no baritone option.

808boy
04-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Aloha,
Deffinitely think there's a market for it. One thing to consider would be size as far as carry-on for airlines. I've bundled together hard cases for my trips and haven't had any problems except request for in flight entertainment, yeah right....
One trip from Maui to Cali, I had a Tenor, a Concert, and a Soprano bundled for one carry on as well as two Tenors bundled for my other carry on.....no problems. Gotta stop buying ukes, hehe.................Bo............

BIGDB
04-25-2013, 09:03 AM
I would definitely buy one I chose tenor/tenor and tenor/soprano

ukeeku
04-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Aloha,
Deffinitely think there's a market for it. One thing to consider would be size as far as carry-on for airlines. I've bundled together hard cases for my trips and haven't had any problems except request for in flight entertainment, yeah right....
One trip from Maui to Cali, I had a Tenor, a Concert, and a Soprano bundled for one carry on as well as two Tenors bundled for my other carry on.....no problems. Gotta stop buying ukes, hehe.................Bo............
Glad to hear this. I am currently taking 2 Fremont tenor cases and making them one double case (bottom to bottom), using rivets and screws. also making a place to span where the handles were to make one center handle.
I am worried that it could cause issues getting through security. I guess we will see.
I will post pictures soon.

SailingUke
04-25-2013, 10:09 AM
I have thought about finding and old style suit case and getting a foam liner made for two tenors.
I have a double gig bag, but would like something to fly with as carry on.

UkeKiddinMe
04-25-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm surprised these don't exist. There are double cases for guitars. If ever there was an instrument where it would fun and common to carry a pair, it's - our beloved uke.

I can't vote, because you don't have a double baritone option. :)

ukeeku
04-25-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm surprised these don't exist. There are double cases for guitars. If ever there was an instrument where it would fun and common to carry a pair, it's - our beloved uke.

I can't vote, because you don't have a double baritone option. :)

Sorry, forgot the baritones. If I could go back I would add them, and the sopraninos too

Skrik
04-25-2013, 10:57 AM
How about a modular system where you can choose two sizes, and fasten the modules together, to make a single case?

I'd like soprano/ baritone.

mailman
04-25-2013, 11:34 AM
I like the idea of a double case. I don't think I'd opt for back-to-back, though. Two "doors", two sets of latches, double thick center....it all spells "heavy". Also, I'd like to be able to access both ukes without flipping the case over.

I envision a case that holds two ukes, probably of the same size (concert, probably, for me) that are oriented such that they load into the case side first, rather than back first. The one peghead would face left, and the other right, and the ukes would be back-to-back, so that they sort of nest together. The case could have two compartments in it, one under each neck. One would hold a humidifier/hygrometer, and the other small accessories like tuners, capos and the like. There might even be room enough to store some sheet music....

Kmetzger
04-25-2013, 12:07 PM
How about a modular system where you can choose two sizes, and fasten the modules together, to make a single case?

Great idea!

ukeeku
04-25-2013, 02:33 PM
I like the idea of a double case. I don't think I'd opt for back-to-back, though. Two "doors", two sets of latches, double thick center....it all spells "heavy". Also, I'd like to be able to access both ukes without flipping the case over.

I envision a case that holds two ukes, probably of the same size (concert, probably, for me) that are oriented such that they load into the case side first, rather than back first. The one peghead would face left, and the other right, and the ukes would be back-to-back, so that they sort of nest together. The case could have two compartments in it, one under each neck. One would hold a humidifier/hygrometer, and the other small accessories like tuners, capos and the like. There might even be room enough to store some sheet music....
Good Idea on paper until you do it. the issue you run into is that you are left with one side with nothing holding it down. So the uke can flop from side to side. Had the same idea and ran into that issue when I built a cardboard prototype.

Pueo
04-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Wow, me too!
I usually play Tenor or Concert. I also have a tenor 6 string. I think it would be cool to be able to bring either a Tenor (or my grand concert) and my six string in one case.

Pueo
04-25-2013, 03:02 PM
I was thinking to have them be next to each other, where the neck of one is next to the body of the other. Seems like the most efficient use of space to me. Still smaller than a guitar case. I would think that one of those rectangle Stratocaster size cases could hold maybe four ukuleles that way.

perep
04-25-2013, 03:19 PM
wish someone like Steady or ?? would take note of this poll, there are lots of people who will not do this poll or don't know about it but want these double bags for two DIFF. ukes

perep
04-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Great idea!
GREAT IDEA ditto

perep
04-25-2013, 03:22 PM
There ARE good double cases out there, not heavy but well padded. I have had one for years

Lori
04-25-2013, 03:56 PM
I like the modular idea too, but with the two laying flat side by side with head of one next to the bottom of the other. I change which ukes I bring all the time. A baritone option would be good for me too. A bari/ tenor, especially if it wasn't too heavy.
–Lori

coolkayaker1
04-25-2013, 05:11 PM
I agree with the others, Tim: modular, like a camera / photography bag, with those removable velcro thingies.

Sort of like this at 40 seconds (not best example, but the girl is easy on the eyes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUBJYcYmN0M&playnext=1&list=PL14EA2FEAD806D663

I think, personally, that it will sell less if hard case, and more if exoskeletal "soft" like Reunion Blues case. I don't know, though.

There are some on eBay now if one searches under: Steady Soft Double Bag

HMS had the Kala double: http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukecrazy-deluxe-double-gig-bag-tenor.html

ukeeku
04-26-2013, 02:01 AM
I agree with the others, Tim: modular, like a camera / photography bag, with those removable velcro thingies.

Sort of like this at 40 seconds (not best example, but the girl is easy on the eyes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUBJYcYmN0M&playnext=1&list=PL14EA2FEAD806D663

I think, personally, that it will sell less if hard case, and more if exoskeletal "soft" like Reunion Blues case. I don't know, though.

There are some on eBay now if one searches under: Steady Soft Double Bag

HMS had the Kala double: http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukecrazy-deluxe-double-gig-bag-tenor.html
I see a lot of the gig-bag styles, and some look OK, but would you put your $1000+ ukes in any of those? If reunion Blues made a double , that is as soft as I could go.
I have a solution (I think) for those that are flying and want to bring more than one uke. Except it involves checking the ukes at the gate while flying.
I have a Gator GP-PC308 Drum accessories case (http://www.gatorcases.com/p/119176-1021/gp-pc308) and it fits 2 tenor Fremont cases with room for book, or 3 concert Fremont cases, or 2 concert and 1 tenor Fremont cases.
with the combo of the hard Fremont cases and the hard case, it would keep anything safe.

coolkayaker1
04-26-2013, 02:43 AM
I hear ya about the primo uke in a cheaper double case.

More power to you. Sounds like you have a better mousetrap.

bazmaz
04-26-2013, 02:48 AM
Tenor Tenor and Tenor Soprano, but that's just me and indicates my favourite sizes

mailman
04-26-2013, 08:26 AM
Good Idea on paper until you do it. the issue you run into is that you are left with one side with nothing holding it down. So the uke can flop from side to side. Had the same idea and ran into that issue when I built a cardboard prototype.

I envisioned a padded divider between the ukes. Is that what you were referring to?

Freeda
04-26-2013, 08:30 AM
I've only seen tenor ones on the market. I'd like a soprano double that accommodates pineapple.

ukeeku
04-26-2013, 08:30 AM
I envisioned a padded divider between the ukes. Is that what you were referring to?

If it is on its side it can travel up and down in the space.
I wonder if we are talking the same layout? :)

hoosierhiver
04-26-2013, 08:37 AM
How about a double case with the 2nd compartment being for a bottle of booze?

ukeeku
04-26-2013, 09:50 AM
How about a double case with the 2nd compartment being for a bottle of booze?
All cases can have booze in them, it is just a question of how much?

Gary Gill
04-26-2013, 11:40 PM
I picked tenor / tenor.

For the booze option, I recommend dehydrated beer - just add water:D

UkeKiddinMe
04-27-2013, 02:21 AM
Sounds like beer jerky.

perep
04-27-2013, 03:05 AM
Someone OUT THERE has to be listening to us as consumers OR they are dumbfounded by too much demand. Boy I would sure JUMP at this in manufacture realm to make a killing. HELLO UKE CASE MAKERS OUT THERE

PTOEguy
04-27-2013, 03:20 AM
For me I'd like a case that is tenor uke/soprano banjolele. Probably not a huge market or that one...

ukeeku
04-29-2013, 02:30 PM
here is the case I just made from 2 Fremont cases
http://ukeeku.com/2013/04/29/double-fremont-tenor-case/

Dan Uke
04-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Tim, are you saying this complies for check in baggage?

ukeeku
04-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Tim, are you saying this complies for check in baggage?

on many planes it will fit. complies is another story. since it is musical instruments they let it slide most of the time.