NUD all over again, Martin C1K...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
Ok, I had a NUD a few weeks ago, but that change didn't work out very good. I "upgraded" from a Kala CEM to what I thought was a bargain closeout sale on a Kala GAC, Solid Acacia top...well, it seems there was a very good reason they were on closeout. The thing was dead, the top was wavy and it had some string buzz, even though it was supposedly setup.

So, after selling my CEM and returning the GAC, I found a local shop that just got a stock of the Mexican made Martins. I had been looking around for a solid Koa that I could afford and settled on the Martin C1K as the only solid Koa that was even near my budget. So, here's a couple pic's, I'll post more tomorrow when the light is better.

marty.jpgNUD04-25-13.jpg

BTW, it sounds awesome and was confirmed by the director of our club and a Hawaiian lady in our club who also plays very well.

more pic's posted below...

Last edited:
Lookin' good! Enjoy your new Martin!
-joe

Have a very happy NUD and enjoy your new Martin. I've seen and played the C1k and they are very nice ukes.

I have been impressed with Martin's re-entry into the ukulele market. Their original "modern" uke, the S-0 was a little problematic at first. I bought one after they worked out the kinks and I eventually sold it. The concert model you bought is one that has caught my interest. I do have two KoAloha ukes, a solid koa Ohana, and some other high-end ukes, but, to me, a great sounding uke is a great sounding uke. If I like playing it, to me, that's all that matters.

Congratulations! I think you made a fine choice and it is a really good upgrade from your old Kala.

Thanks everyone, it sounds really good! Have a question, though...it has a "satin" finish or what seems like very little finish at all and yesterday during a club concert, my arm resting on the body and a little sweat brought the grain up a little. Can I put some lemon oil on it? Or is there something specific to help preserve the natural finish.

I tried the C1K at a local music shop and the tone was clear and lovely. However, I'm a bit concerned by the open pores I see on the body. Is this normal?

Top Bottom