Another String Question (Sorry)

audioguy

Reaction score
Hi. I've been reading and enjoying the boards for a while now, and thought I'd seek some advise. I recently bought a Braddah (Mele) Mahogany Tenor on ebay that came with what I think are Hilo strings (black with a wound C). It plays pretty nice but compared to my other ukes it sounds thinner and bit too bright. Any suggestions on strings to warm up its sound? I've been considering Worth or Living Water strings (high G, no wound strings). Thanks in advance.

I have Worth Browns on my Pono Tenor. For me it's a very good sound. Emphasize for me. Sound, tone, whatever are pretty subjective so play around a bit. Best advice I've seen is to play a set for a month or so for them to settle and give you their best before making a final decision about them. Unless you hate them, of course.

Just swapped out the high G for a low G Worth Brown. It's my first try at low G. It's an all non-wound set and the low G has almost a rubber band quality to it. Not sure I like the tuning enough to try wound G & C.

I have Worth Browns on my Pono Tenor. For me it's a very good sound. Emphasize for me. Sound, tone, whatever are pretty subjective so play around a bit. Best advice I've seen is to play a set for a month or so for them to settle and give you their best before making a final decision about them. Unless you hate them, of course.

Thanks for responding. I understand what "sounds good" is subjective, but what I'm wondering is if there is a general consensus on strings that would give me more bass and tame the highs a bit. (Or am I asking too much of a string?) I wish I could try all of the different strings out there, but in the interest of saving a little money and a lot of time, I was hoping to find some info based on the boards experience. Thanks again.

Just swapped out the high G for a low G Worth Brown. It's my first try at low G. It's an all non-wound set and the low G has almost a rubber band quality to it. Not sure I like the tuning enough to try wound G & C.
IMO stick with a wound lowG...I've had a similar experience with the unwound low G...like you said, rubber band!

If you're looking for 'balance' across the strings, I would suggest trying Southcoast string set(s). It does however utilize wound strings and IMO has that low end as well as a warmer high end. As far as the wound strings, they are a lot 'quieter' than regular wounds. There are a number of members who use these strings and will probably recommend them.

Just put a Freemont wound low G on my Compass Rose this morning. Seems to be a perfect match with the Worth clears already on it.

Thanks for all of the responses. I've been researching a bit more and several people described the Hilos that I have on my tenor as sounding warm and full. Keeping in mind that I'd prefer to use a non wound re-entrant set, does anyone think I'd hear much difference going with a similar set from Southcoast or anyone else? Currently my Mele tenor sounds thinner than my Mainland Concert with Aquillas on it. I had hoped the tenor would sound fuller than my concert. Thanks again. What a great community.

Thanks for all of the responses. I've been researching a bit more and several people described the Hilos that I have on my tenor as sounding warm and full. Keeping in mind that I'd prefer to use a non wound re-entrant set, does anyone think I'd hear much difference going with a similar set from Southcoast or anyone else? Currently my Mele tenor sounds thinner than my Mainland Concert with Aquillas on it. I had hoped the tenor would sound fuller than my concert. Thanks again. What a great community.

I have Worth Browns on my Pono tenor. It shouts.

I tend to consider fluorocarbon strings as ''bright'' strings compare to nylon strings....so I think if you want something that is not too bright, it,s just better to stay with some standard nylon strings such as D'Addario.....

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao ...

Top Bottom