help identify antique ukulele

p.e

Reaction score
hello . i found a nice looking ukulele a few weeks ago .
there is no inscription inside or outside .
i tried to find a matching one on google but nothing looked alike .
if you can help me identify it , i would appreciate !
it looks really old , and the woods and craftmanship are amazing .
very light . ( i am a guitar player and will try to play it as soon as i replace the missing string ).
i live in Paris France and i'll let you know as soon as i can string it up .

thanks a lot , and best regards from Paris !
photoi.jpgphotoh.jpgphotog.jpgphotof.jpgphotoc.jpg

The flush fretboard and wood top plate leads me to believe it's a Venezuelan Cuatro. Usually tuned ADF#B with both a low A and B

It's very nice looking. Too bad it's got those gouges in it. :eek:

thanks !!

hello , thanks a lot , i did not know the Cuadros , it seems that it's one .
it looks a lot like a ukulele , i will try to tune it and thanks for your advice for tuning .
best regards .
Pierre .
The flush fretboard and wood top plate leads me to believe it's a Venezuelan Cuatro. Usually tuned ADF#B with both a low A and B

I have no idea what it is but I wish I had stumbled across it...nice find! If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?
Cheers!

mmm, what a lovely instrument. That insanely low action with the golpe plate is a bit of a giveaway. Gorgeous cuatro though.

Just for interest's sake, there is a new builder on the uke scene now who has established a great rep as a flamenco and classical guitar maker, and who now has turned his hand to ukuleles. His name is Thomas Rodriguez, and I think he may give the custom uke market a shake up in coming years. He recently completed a red spruce and hickory soprano complete with a beautiful Brazilian rosewood tap plate and is very similar and appearance to your cuatro.

Here's some pics of another one of his recent ukes, a stunning cedar/rosewood soprano:
http://fanguitarandukulele.com/tommy-rodriguez-soprano-ukulele.html

etwaeiresulphate

I have no idea what it is but I wish I had stumbled across it...nice find! If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?
Cheers!

hello . very cheap , almost the price of a set of new strings ( i don t remember very well ). but very early ( 5 or 6 ) cold morning in Paris .
regards . P .

Thomas Rodriguez

mmm, what a lovely instrument. That insanely low action with the golpe plate is a bit of a giveaway. Gorgeous cuatro though.

Just for interest's sake, there is a new builder on the uke scene now who has established a great rep as a flamenco and classical guitar maker, and who now has turned his hand to ukuleles. His name is Thomas Rodriguez, and I think he may give the custom uke market a shake up in coming years. He recently completed a red spruce and hickory soprano complete with a beautiful Brazilian rosewood tap plate and is very similar and appearance to your cuatro.

Here's some pics of another one of his recent ukes, a stunning cedar/rosewood soprano:
http://fanguitarandukulele.com/tommy-rodriguez-soprano-ukulele.html

hello and thanks for the link . great looking and i m sure sounding instruments !
bye . P.

Here's a video clip from Penguin Cafe Orchestra that illustrates how well a Cuatro and Ukulele work together.

Top Bottom