Wound low G for soprano uke

barchi

Reaction score
I really needed to put a low G on my soprano to play Celtic tunes. So, I've used a D'Addario Pro Arte Classical Guitar wound D (.029).

Is it a right choice?

The D'Addario Pro Arte Classical Guitar wound D is my low-G string of choice on my concert uke - after lots of trial and error, I've decided I really don't care for the sound or feel of uke-specific low G strings, especially the fluorocarbons.

The only concern I would have is if the tension is too high on a guitar string to use it on a soprano - I can't actually speak to that as I don't know, but I've heard that this is why there are different gauges of strings. Personally I prefer higher tension in general, so I tend to use higher-tension concert strings on sopranos, tenor strings on concerts, and haven't had any problems as a result of the higher tension.

Wound D strings work but you will probably find the sound to be unbalanced. Kala and Worth make low G sets for soprano ukes. Kala and Freemont also sell single low G strings. I've found them on eBay

Fremont Soloist Squeakless Polished Gold 0.030 Low G

I recommend these without reservation.
They work for all scale lengths: soprano, concert, tenor.

A set of Aquila Low G reds would be worth a try, as well.

Welcome to the low side of uke town.

I have Aquila low G on several of my soprano ukes. I also have them for sale. They are $2.25 shipped First Class. I also have low G re Aquila soprano. They are not a wound string. They cost $ 0.75 more

Top Bottom