underground plus is it worthwhile?

uknavynigel

Reaction score
This is my first post and ive been learning the uke for the last week or so and im doing quite well as i tried to learn the guitar in the past so transfered a few skills though i have a long way to go.

id like to ask if the underground plus is worthwhile and whats the best way to buy it , ie monthly, 30 day or years subscription.
wondering is once you have seen the videos are more added, whats the longevity of the course ?

is there any other books or courses that members can reccomend?

I am new also and have the same question. So I would also appreciate an answer before I spend some dollars

I've been playing for about two years, (with no real musical background), and I'm certain I would not be the player I am today without UU videos and classes.

I have a yearly subscription, and though I don't watch the videos nearly as much as I used to, there's still a ton of material to review.

It's fun, it's informative, and it's cheap. You won't find a better teaching tool online.

Totally recommend signing up.

I asked the same question a few months ago asking if it was good for theory and beginner -advanced stuff and everyone said it was great I haven't gotten it yet but I'm planning on getting it sometime in the next couple months

Very glad to hear it, neversnow and Nigel. You won't be disappointed.

And welcome to UU both!

Cheers.

It is a great investment. Do a month, if you don't like it, cancel, otherwise get the yearly right away and save yourself some money, because you'll probably want to review more than once. I have been an UU+ member since I joined. There has been plenty of new stuff added since I joined and there seems to be more on the way. I believe the access to the UkuleleUndergroundUniversity archives is worth the price of admission itself. Having the Master Classes and some cool JamTracks here and there are the bonus! Enjoy! And welcome to UU!

Ill-informed question, I'm sure, but is there a safe/easy (and okay with UU) way to download the videos so I can watch them where I don't have Internet? We only have a connection at the office and I can't be playing my ukulele *all* the time instead of working... If there were, I'm definitely picking up a membership. Help, please? (Mac, Mountain Lion OS) Looking to put it on a laptop or iPad...

i had it for a few months and then had to cut back on expenses and have been meaning to do the monthly thing again.

one piece of advice for intermediates--don't waste your time starting from the beginning. i did that and saw lots of stuff that i already knew. great stuff from beginning on if you are a beginner, but if you've been playing a decent amount for 2+ years, skip the beginner stuff.

also, i don't think it's cool to download the vids. while there are indeed loads of apps/software to let you do it, maybe don't do it with these. the guys on uu are trying to make a living with this stuff and i say let's support them. y'know ppl out there who will just share the saved vids with their buddies rather than encourage them to get their own subscription. besides, vimeo is harder to download and keep vs. youtube.

i had it for a few months and then had to cut back on expenses and have been meaning to do the monthly thing again.

one piece of advice for intermediates--don't waste your time starting from the beginning. i did that and saw lots of stuff that i already knew. great stuff from beginning on if you are a beginner, but if you've been playing a decent amount for 2+ years, skip the beginner stuff.

also, i don't think it's cool to download the vids. while there are indeed loads of apps/software to let you do it, maybe don't do it with these. the guys on uu are trying to make a living with this stuff and i say let's support them. y'know ppl out there who will just share the saved vids with their buddies rather than encourage them to get their own subscription. besides, vimeo is harder to download and keep vs. youtube.

Oh, no, that wasn't what I meant at all. I simply don't have Internet access anywhere other than my office and I was looking to be able to join UU+ and be able to use it at home (otherwise it wouldn't make sense to subscribe at all). I wouldn't "share" with anyone--but I get it that some people might try to scam the subscription that way. 'Nuff said, I guess. :(

besides, vimeo is harder to download and keep vs. youtube.

i disagree.

74ULnSv.png

y2VLscx.png

I support UU by UU Plus rather than UU VIP, so I don't get the fancy avatar upgrade and people think I'm a freeloader.;)

(UU would be well served to add an avatar for UU Plus so that others, like yourself, could ask questions and learn about it from those in it and the UU PLus members--who, frankly, pay higher annual dues for the great lessons than the UU VIP members-- wouldn't get throttled every three months or so when another new thread about freeloaders comes up :D)

Yes, original poster, UU Plus is a bargain. It's good stuff.

Last edited:
I support UU by UU Plus rather than UU VIP, so I don't get the fancy avatar upgrade and people think I'm a freeloader.;)

(UU would be well served to add an avatar for UU Plus so that others, like yourself, could ask questions and learn about it from those in it and the UU PLus members--who, frankly, pay higher annual dues for the great lessons than the UU VIP members-- wouldn't get throttled every three months or so when another new thread about freeloaders comes up :D)

Did I miss somethig? Are you saying that UU VIPs also have access to the special lessons that UU+ members have?

I thought with UU+ you were paying for lessons, not making a donation.

Last edited:
Did I miss somethig? Are you saying that UU VIPs also have access to the special lessons that UU+ members have?

I thought with UU+ you were paying for lessons, not making a donation.

Call it profit, donation, whatever you'd prefer.

The UU PLus video lessons are up and posted whether ten people sign up for them or a million--the work has already been done. Everything that is merchandised through UU, including UU Plus, the merch store, the brand new private lessons with Aldrine, is for the profit and upkeep of UU. It's all support of this amazing website.

I, definitely, find UU PLus a fantastic resource for all beginner and intermediate players. The best part of it is the structure, I;d say. Lesson 101, 201, 301, etc. A gentle and gradual progression. A lot of work went into those videos, it's evident. The videos are archived there, ready for the next subscribing student, 24/7. Hard to find that in a live teacher. :)

Last edited:
I finally made the leap to try out the 1 month non-recurring subscription.

And for anyone on the fence, UU has great free content. But the paid content is even better. The master class material alone is worth the price of admission.

This is my first post and ive been learning the uke for the last week or so and im doing quite well as i tried to learn the guitar in the past so transfered a few skills though i have a long way to go.

id like to ask if the underground plus is worthwhile and whats the best way to buy it , ie monthly, 30 day or years subscription.
wondering is once you have seen the videos are more added, whats the longevity of the course ?

is there any other books or courses that members can reccomend?

eBay and Amazon can help you to find out books and basic guides to learn the important points to learn guitar. Video lectures on Youtube can help you to follow the practice instruction by instructors. Just try there.

Top Bottom