Ono mango concert - new uke day

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
I just got my mango concert ukulele made by David Ingalls of Ono Ukuleles. It is a beaut. It is my first custom so I am not in a great position to give it a formal review. But it feels and sounds great. Very light weight. At first I thought the volume was just normal but I quickly realized that if you give a strings a hardy pluck or strum it really howls in a beautiful way. The whole process was a lot of fun and I could not be happier. I will put up some more pics and maybe a sound sample later this weekend if I can put it down for long enough.

IMG_1663.jpgIMG_1661.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man, congratulations!

That's a beauty, for sure, and the back might be the prettiest mango grain eva. Would love to hear a sound sample, too.

Congratulations! Beautiful Mango wood and fine craftsmanship.

Aloha D,
Big congrats on your ONO ukulele...it looks awesome...what a score....thank you for sharing and happy strummings...have fun and enjoy :)

Congratulations! Every Ono rocks!! Love the mango.

Oh, she's an absolute sweetheart Doug. Rapt for you mate, what a beauty. That mango is incredible. What's the binding and the headstock stripe?

The grain on the back look amazing! It gives some sort of sparkle with that finish. I'd really like to hear it in action!

Oh, she's an absolute sweetheart Doug. Rapt for you mate, what a beauty. That mango is incredible. What's the binding and the headstock stripe?

I am not 100% sure about all of these but I think this is what she is made of:

top, back ,sides, headplate: mango
binding: bubinga
bridge and fretboard: rosewood
rosette and headplate stripe: bubinga and rosewood
neck: african mahogany
stripe down back of neck: walnut

And here are a few more pics. Such a joy to play.

IMG_1680.jpgIMG_1676.jpgIMG_1678.jpgIMG_1679.jpg

I really like bubinga as it comes in many different looks, plain, quilted, curly.

David, why African hog vs. Honduran hog? Just curious

Just for the appearance. The African has a much more obvious grain pattern that I thought would nicely complement the wild mango. It might weigh a few grams more than typical Honduras but that's inconsequential since the total weight of the instrument is within normal limits and the balance is fine. The color also works well with the mango and bubinga.

Beautiful uke you've got there. I still can't put down my Ono Cherry Bari. Wonderful instrument, and a really great process from start to finish with David. Welcome to the club!

Better late than never, here is a quick audio clip. Thanks to eugeneukulele for the arrangement. I just copied it as best I could from his youtube tutorial video. I am not sure if the video captures the true tone of it but I absolutely love this ukulele.

Really lovely playing Doug. Oooh man that uke sounds so sweet and warm, just a beautiful, rich tone. Ono ukes are AWESOME!!!

Sweet uke in looks and sound. Congratulations.

Top Bottom