Do unopened strings go "bad"?

igorthebarbarian

Reaction score
So I bought a few sets of Worth strings from Elderly - and if you spend over $49 you get free shipping. So I added a few sets.

Now in retrospect, I am wondering if the strings will go "bad" by the time I get to using all of them?

Is there a time limit on how fast you need to use them if they're just left unopened in their plastic baggies/wrappers?

Thanks!

I have seen metal guitar strings oxidize or corrode in the box over a decade...

I would think that synthetic strings would have a shelf life of many years as long as they were stored in a temperate dark place.

UV light would probably be their most likely enemy. That or high temps. I would not store them on a car dashboard in Arizona.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think even if they are open but not being played they won't go bad but if you have a metal wound string or guitar strings it will go bad if it is unsealed. Martin ukulele strings aren't even sealed they just put them in some paper

Last edited:
So I bought a few sets of Worth strings from Elderly - and if you spend over $49 you get free shipping. So I added a few sets.

Now in retrospect, I am wondering if the strings will go "bad" by the time I get to using all of them?

Is there a time limit on how fast you need to use them if they're just left unopened in their plastic baggies/wrappers?

Thanks!

If you don't put them in extreme temps either way, I seriously doubt there would be a problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think even if they are open but not being played they won't go bad but if you have a metal wound string or guitar strings it will go bad if it is unsealed

Unless of course this. But I don't think Worth sells any metal wound strings.

Strings do go brittle with age. But, years can pass with little appearance of change. I am not sure of the shelf-life differences between nylon and fluorocarbon. I don't think I'd like to conduct the studies on that one.

Best to check the expiration date, or see if the little tab has popped up. ;)

Oxidation and UV light are the only things that will likely degrade string polymers.

Keep them sealed and out of exposure to sunlight (I use an old cigar box) and don't worry.

Best to check the expiration date, or see if the little tab has popped up. ;)

Thanks everyone for your responses! I bought the Worth's specifically for the non-wound strings. Sounds like I'll be fine for awhile. And as suspected, no expiration dates/ pop-tabs!

Top Bottom