New Martin 3K Soprano, Anybody Have One?

cds

Reaction score
I can find very little information on these from individual owners. Anybody here own one and care to speak about it?
I am aware of the copies from custom makers and I have researched these a little but I am interested in how people like the new ones. Specifically the 3K version.

That's an interesting question.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone that owns one of the new, current 3ks or 5ks.

I'll grab some popcorn and sit tight for the answers to roll in, too.

yes!

Another curious member here wanting to know as well.

I am very tempted to put in an order for a new 3K, but have seen several posts about people being upset by the current 3k and 5k re-issues but not with specifics as to why?

:confused:

Ive only seen plctures of the new Martins but in the pics Ive seen it looks like theukes are finished perfectly but it looks like they forgot
To put on the bridge and did it as an afterthought. It looks like a one dollar bridge on a very expensive ukulele. I hope I am wrong.

I own the Martin 2M and think it' done really well. A local music shop has a new 3K they have had for 3 years now, sounds dull and feels over built.

I own the Martin 2M and think it' done really well. A local music shop has a new 3K they have had for 3 years now, sounds dull and feels over built.

If it has been sitting there 3 years maybe now it needs new strings. Send me the name of the shop and maybe they are willing to let me have it cheap :)
I have been anxious to try a new US made Martin.

Peter Forrest does a great review of all the new Martin ukes on YouTube to include the 3-(I think he is a member of UU and might chime in) and he seemed very happy with it.

Peter Forrest does a great review of all the new Martin ukes on YouTube to include the 3-(I think he is a member of UU and might chime in) and he seemed very happy with it.

I can't remember for certain, but I am thinking Peter's review was a cherry Style 3.

Yeah that was an awesome review, almost made me consider the Cherry! But having lived breifly in HI, I am for sure looking for Koa since it will be in memory, along with some cans-o-:spam:

If anyone else has played or owns one of the re-issued 3K's, I would love to hear your .02 on it! Even if you were unimpressed. Trying to gather all I can about these new Martins, they do look incredible though

IMG_0239.jpgIMG_0241.jpgIMG_0244.jpgIMG_0242.jpg

The bridges on 2012 Martin 3C and 2M for you, PP.

Rick, you really ought to try one of the 3Cs. It's a deeper, denser sound, very different than my vintage Martins. And, since it's the only cherry they ever made, you have a justification to buy one. lol

See Petey and Neal's 3C tunes--I can tell you, the cherry is a dense wood and if you can sort of tell from the vids, it has a deeper, more bass sound than the other Martins. I love mine like a toddler, I really do.

PS The lead song, "Paris In The 20's", is a Petey original tune. Doesn't it sound so vintage? So Gatsby? It's pretty amazing stuff, with the slides and the picking break and the percussive strums. Seriously, that's a hot number.

Last edited:
The deep cherry sound

The weight of the Martin 3C is substantial--it feels much heavier than any other Martin sop I own. This gives it the deep sound. It's color is also deep and dark and Black Forest-ish. I adore it!

I think it may well be a vintage sought-after Martin because it is the first cherry; later generations of cherrys will come, and in thirty years we can say we have a first gen cherry.

(You sold yet, Rick? lol) Steve

Last edited:
Hey gang,

I'm back. My mom died unexpectedly in the last week of April so I've been out of it big time. Just getting back into things tonight with a bit of ice cold Russian vodka at my side for some much needed fortification.

I also have a new style 3 mahogany! I will eventually review it. I can tell you that is VERY LOUD! Very loud, indeed. As Steve said, the "3 cherry" is a wonderful uke and more quiet. It's my fav. I would assume that the 3K is between the 3 cherry and the style 3.

However, I do know a GUY from Berlin, Germany who recently bought a new Martin 3K. He told me. He doesn't do reviews and only speaks German and French. I've thought long and hard about acquiring a 3K but I rarely use my 2K! Almost never. So, I will await the review here of some brave soul after buying one sight unseen.

I'm still waiting for my 2K tenor. Why did I buy that? Because I liked the sound of the T1K tenor and the style 2 is a bit too booming in my books. I think the style 2k tenor might be the perfect balance. That might be right for the Martin 3K soprano!

cheerio!

Petey

The weight of the Martin 3C is substantial--it feels much heavier than any other Martin sop I own. This gives it the deep sound. It's color is also deep and dark and Black Forest-ish. I adore it!

I think it may well be a vintage sought-after Martin because it is the first cherry; later generations of cherrys will come, and in thirty years we can say we have a first gen cherry.

(You sold yet, Rick? lol) Steve

You know I am watching and that it does push all the right buttons..........haaaaaa :)

Resurrecting this thread.
A used 2018 Martin 3K soprano is headed my way.. was curious about other users here..

That's an interesting question.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone that owns one of the new, current 3ks or 5ks.

I'll grab some popcorn and sit tight for the answers to roll in, too.

Always a funny guy. I had a re-issue 3K and presently have a 3 Cherry, Centennial 3 and a re-issue 5K. I would still have the 3K, but I also have a Laughlin 3K Bow Tie and kite (1920 Martin 3K copy), so it was a bit redundant and since there are only 2 of those Laughlins, I let the Martin go. The 5K is equal in tone to the Laughlin 3K. I have never played an original 5K, but I have no complaint about the re-issue. It is loud without being brash, and has a sweet tone. Fit and finish could not be better.

Last edited:
A8D744EC-4964-4109-83A2-F1A08E4D56FC.jpgD8507362-7B1D-4354-A699-D5893F418B29.jpg
Hi all,

I just bought one, but i am kinda new so i can’t compare it to anything else.
Mine is a 2010,

The fit and finnish is awesome,nice figured koa, except the bridge is a little rough.
I think its mahogany.

I have aquila strings on it at the moment, but they seem to be larger diameter?
Would like to remove the saddle polish up the bridge and get a compensated saddle.
And if i was ordering one, i would get a gloss one, it would be amazing.

Hope that helps

Attachments

• E6A54A08-3033-4B6A-AEE6-37F78C4849A7.jpg
    E6A54A08-3033-4B6A-AEE6-37F78C4849A7.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Top Bottom