PDA

View Full Version : Radius Dish Form Guide now available!

rudy
04-27-2013, 02:29 AM
Hi All,

I've added a Radius Dish Pattern Guide to my website for anyone who might be interested. The guide consists of three pdfs that are assembled into a 30" full size guide that has multiple radii ranging from 12-1/2' to 30' and for any dish diameter up to 30".

I did these after watching a Youtube video of someone making guide rails in their driveway with a router on the end of a 25 foot board. Somebody out there can use these!

There's also a shot of forming my dish if that might be helpful. The newest information is available by scrolling down toward the bottom of the page:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageUke1.html

Pete Howlett
04-27-2013, 05:42 AM
If you do a search in this forum Rudy you can find two accurate methods for making foolproof radiu dishes that do no include the free-hand shaping of guide rails. I know if I had a drill press which methood I would use.

rudy
04-27-2013, 06:49 AM
Thanks, Pete.
No part of my radius dish is "free-hand" formed. What I found after a forum search seemed way over-complicated to me, I'm all about simplicity.

Dominator
04-28-2013, 07:43 AM
The outline box prints short by nearly 1/2" the long way and 1/4" the short way.

ThomD
04-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Just draw them in CAD. You can make a real scale circle in cad with one to two clicks of the mouse. Then with a few more clicks either trim it to size, or use the print utility to print only a few sheets of it.

You don't really have to know how to use cad. Just click on the circle drawing icon, click on the white space, and enter a diameter in the provided box, hit enter. You are done. Sure the circle will look like a 6 inch circle on your screen, but unlike a drawing of a 30 foot circle in a book, with a large enough printer, or a knowlede of how to run the one you have, you can print this baby out in whole or in part at full scale.

Once you can print out real arcs, you can make a lot of shop fittings and jigs to a high degree of accuracy using every day shop tools.

coitmusic
04-28-2013, 03:59 PM
The outline box prints short by nearly 1/2" the long way and 1/4" the short way.
In my experience, Pdfs tend to try to "fit to page" by default. That might be causing the size difference. Look for an option you can change on the print pop up window.

Timbuck
04-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks, Pete.
No part of my radius dish is "free-hand" formed. What I found after a forum search seemed way over-complicated to me, I'm all about simplicity.

The method you describe takes hours to make the drawings then the cradle to run the router back and forth and umpteen cuts across until the whole area is machined..and then it has to be finished by hand to remove the machine marks I know this co's I've done it ...That is why I came up with an easier solution on the drill press....Once set up you can make a perfect dish in minutes.
It's based on a machining method I learned years ago when I was Toolmaker...It's the reverse to machining a sphere on a mill..can be seen here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3BGtt8quK4
I don't use the standard radius dish anymore ..I use a compound radius 5ft rad X 10ft rad:)
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/arch%20project/PICT0056.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/arch%20project/PICT0056.jpg.html)

rudy
04-29-2013, 04:09 AM
In my experience, Pdfs tend to try to "fit to page" by default. That might be causing the size difference. Look for an option you can change on the print pop up window.

That's exactly correct! The print dialog box for pdf printing allows you to check "no page scaling", then they will print out accurately. That's the whole point of presenting them as pdfs.

rudy
04-29-2013, 04:14 AM
Just draw them in CAD. You can make a real scale circle in cad with one to two clicks of the mouse. Then with a few more clicks either trim it to size, or use the print utility to print only a few sheets of it.

You don't really have to know how to use cad. Just click on the circle drawing icon, click on the white space, and enter a diameter in the provided box, hit enter. You are done. Sure the circle will look like a 6 inch circle on your screen, but unlike a drawing of a 30 foot circle in a book, with a large enough printer, or a knowlede of how to run the one you have, you can print this baby out in whole or in part at full scale.

Once you can print out real arcs, you can make a lot of shop fittings and jigs to a high degree of accuracy using every day shop tools.

No circle necessary, just specify begining and end points of a difined arc, you're done.

Yes, easily done in CAD (that's where these came from obviosly), but not everyone has or wants to learn a CAD program. That's why I figured it would be nice to provide them as pdfs which pretty much anyone can print out.

rudy
04-29-2013, 04:27 AM
The method you describe takes hours to make the drawings then the cradle to run the router back and forth and umpteen cuts across until the whole area is machined..and then it has to be finished by hand to remove the machine marks I know this co's I've done it ...That is why I came up with an easier solution on the drill press....Once set up you can make a perfect dish in minutes.

Thanks Tim, I think your method was one of the ones outlined when I did a search for older topic posts on radius dishes.

Hours in CAD? I spent about 1/2 hour doing the drawing and splitting it to print as three pdfs. The point of my post is so others don't have to have a CAD program, learn how to use it, or spend hours drawing. It's already done for them here.

It did take me about 15 minutes to hog out the dish and anothe 5 to hit it with a 5" random orbit sander to remove any machining marks left. It's not "better" than the drill press method, it's just an option based on whatever tooling a person has available and feels comfortable using.

tobinsuke
04-29-2013, 06:15 AM
Someone is bound to say this, so let me be the one this time.... We definitely all have different ways of working.

And Rudy, Timbuck's name is Ken :)

rudy
04-29-2013, 09:19 AM
Someone is bound to say this, so let me be the one this time.... We definitely all have different ways of working.

And Rudy, Timbuck's name is Ken :)

Oops, My bad! The interesting thing is I was going to try and be extra careful because I read a past topic where someone else made the same mistake and it generated considerable concernation!

If you're following the topic, Sorry, Ken.

Forum handles can be odd ducks to deal with. You might be surprised to hear that I get lots of e-mail that starts of "Hi Rudy...".

Now where would they get an idea like that?

Pete Howlett
04-29-2013, 10:10 AM
I've made mine both the rail and drill press way - drill press is more accurate and quick.