Buyer beware !

Status
Not open for further replies.

5150ukulele

Reaction score
Well . With the popular lack of ability of the readers of this original post to see the scam in motion that I posted in regard to, I opted to just let it be as is . Buyer beware in all occasions of buying .

It was one of those posts to a link that if you can't see the handwriting on the wall, you probably can't see the wall anyway . Time will tell .

Best of internet shopping to all .

ROFLOL !

Last edited:
I am a bit confused by your post. What exactly do you find so offensive on page to which you provided a link. It did not set off any concerns for me.

When someone asks for recommendations/advice on purchasing an `Ukulele, I direct them to the vendors who are part of the UU community. The vendors we do recommend have built a solid reputation we've come to trust and they've proven it time and again.

I didn't see anything on that site that isn't quite accurate, actually. I don't have any experience with this company...but just because they might be new on the scene doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing re. setups and such. It doesn't mean they do, either, but until somebody trustworthy has an actual bad experience to report after having actually done business with them I'd not go bashing them.

In our experience, over half of the inventory we receive from manufacturers arrives with serious setup issues that needs to be addressed and 1 in 10 have blemishes that would result in our returning the product if we had purchased it for our personal use. We refuse to ship a product that is not ready to play or sell an blemished instrument at our regular price. We do basic setup on any instrument that needs it and provide sharp discounts on any blemished instruments we receive. Again, the vast majority of retailers ship their instruments as is without even inspecting them. Professional setup work to correct these sorts of issues typically cost around $60.

If anything, I'd say closer to 80% of factory instruments ordered from major retailers have setup issues and the 10% blemish estimate is also probably on the conservative side. That's why we around here tend to stress over and over again to ignore Amazon.com and Guitar Center and what have you and order from dedicated ukulele dealers. There are some here who have built up good reputations (HMS, Mim, Uke Republic, etc.).

I've not heard of this Ukulele Town but it's not unusual for existing brick and mortar stores to open an internet presence - in any case, this particular registration of that domain has been active for over a year so not even all that new. Seems like if they were dishonest we'd have heard horror stories actually resulting from bad transactions than someone yelling about the sky falling because they object to the absolutely accurate assessment of ukuleles purchased from big retailers.

John

I agree with OldePhart. Until I hear that someone is ripping people off (a reliable source), I will reserve judgment. However, the site in question is very limited in their product line and they are dropping Oscar Schmidt (most likely for quality issues).

When someone asks for recommendations/advice on purchasing an `Ukulele, I direct them to the vendors who are part of the UU community. The vendors we do recommend have built a solid reputation we've come to trust and they've proven it time and again.

yes, great point Danny. Same here. The UU has a community of folks who are well known and who stand behind all their work and as such, have established solid reputations in customer service and set up work.

That said, your post is nothing more than a somewhat bizarre rant. Because a business is new should not tarnish them with the kinds of accusations you are making here. All the vendors whom I know routinely do extra set up work on their factory lines. Their claims don't seem strange to me, however, your post does.

Last edited:
I don't see anything there that isn't in line with what a lot of the vendors who participate on this site have stated on this forum or in phone conversations with them about low to mid range ukes. I've played a lot of ukes offered at local stores that do not set up their ukes, and the playability and sound compared to set up instruments is night and day. I'll hold my judgement about Ukulele Town until I hear reviews from people who have actually done business with them.

Wow! This was a fairly scathing post and I'm not sure why. . .

"not on my watch" lol. unless you know them to be fraudulent this is pointless slander

No red flags for me. Seems like a completely legit business. Contact information is provided including phone and address. Limited range of products, which gives them the possibility to know their product. A one-man home based business as I can see (check street view).

These cats bash the absolute snot out of uke manufacturers and suppliers in their claims in regard to the ukes not being worth the buyers time unless ....... ( get this ) .......of course THEY deals with all the flaws and readies the ukes for your worthy ownership.

Folks ! I'm not one to usually bash a biz that's trying . But it needs to be legit for me to get excited about it. Read this webpage and see where their claim is that so many ukes these people see is not up to snuff and how their expertise readies them for shipping.

I'm confused here, what part of these claims do you see as being bad for you as a buyer? They're saying they individually weed through factory-produced instruments, separate the obviously blemished ones to then discount them, and set up the others that they feel need the set up. That's a large part of the very reason that the "big 3" recommended sellers on here (HMS, Ukerepublic, and my current favorite, Mim) are recommended so often. In the end this can only benefit the buyer, and increases the chance you'll be happy with the instrument.

Did you personally get burned on a purchase from them?

It's not even a poorly-made/bad-looking website. Yeah, they don't have a ton of inventory, but they present what they have cleanly and in an easy-to-find everything sort of way. If it was some sketchy-looking unfriendly website then I'd be a bit more nervous it was a scam maybe.

Last edited:
Shoot, even just a minute or two of searching google for reviews of that site revealed that the owner is a UU member. Granted, he hasn't posted much, but from what I've read he doesn't seem like a bad guy.

I see nothing wrong with the link....in fact I think they are so open and what you'd expect a dealer to be....am I misising something here...enlighten me

Beautiful reverse/backhanded compliment advertising ploy. Well done. Classic illustration of Method 12b of the successful internet advertising strategies. The owner could not have paid for a better example.

+1 to what bill said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom