Installed my own strap button !

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
I almost put this in the luthier's section, but decided not to. :biglaugh:

Just wanted to share. I installed a strap button on my Ohana TKS-15E. :cool: You can see pictures below. I used a a Fender strap button - $4.99 from Sam Ash. I also picked up a $6 guitar strap which is way too wide but they didn't have anything slimmer.

The screw required a 1/8" diameter drill bit. I tested this and the 9/64" bit on a scrap piece of wood first and the 9/64" was exactly the size of the screw so I backed down a size to give the screw something to bite into, but not so much as to split. It screwed in with a hand screwdriver with just a little pressure so I think I got the right size. The only minor boo-boo was that I marked the bit with tape for the proper depth, but the bit actually went through the tail block just before I hit the tape. Oops. Seems OK though.

Hands-and-elbow-free is *SO* much nicer. Feeling much more secure. :nana:

Jim

IMG_0366.JPGIMG_0367.jpgIMG_0368.jpg

Looks good! It's scary drilling into an instrument, especially if it's the first time you've done it. Congratulations on taking the plunge :p Hah, there's something very self-satisfying about being able to do little things like this for yourself, even if it is "basic". It still feels good.

I ordered a small lot of nice-looking buffalo horn strap buttons a little while ago that I'm just waiting eagerly on to arrive so I can check them out and set them up on my ukes. I've tried tying a strap to the headstock before and I even bought one of those Martin leather headstock strap-button loop things, but nothing feels quite as free to me as having a 2nd strap button at the base of the neck as well.

Congrats. Taking a power tool to your uke can raise one's blood pressure

I've tried tying a strap to the headstock before and I even bought one of those Martin leather headstock strap-button loop things, but nothing feels quite as free to me as having a 2nd strap button at the base of the neck as well.
I wasn't sure about that either but for now I'm going to stick with the headstock (just using the shoelace that came with the cheap strap). The body of the uke just seems too small to put the strap there. Having a wider "base of support" from the tail to the headstock feels better so far.

Jim, I know how you feel. I am not especially handy, but I installed a strap button on my first uke, a Kala KA-T. I was cautious, all went well, and I was thrilled. However, now I kind of wonder how I ever got up the nerve to do it!

And pootsie, nice thread!

Yea pootsie! Thanks for that post! One question....do these same steps/rule apply with adding a button on the neck? Like Aldrine's? I'm at work and sped read the thread, so I hope I didnt miss my answer.... Thanks again!

Pretty much the same thing. Choose your spot carefully, then make sure it's the right spot, then look again to be certain. tape it, mark it, drill carefully, etc.

Pretty much the same thing. Choose your spot carefully, then make sure it's the right spot, then look again to be certain. tape it, mark it, drill carefully, etc.

I am toying with installing a strap button on my Kanilea concert. I've heard it may reduce resale value, but I bought this thing to play, not as an investment. Having said that, I don't recall seeing an end block. How do you recommend proceeding if there isn't one?

I am toying with installing a strap button on my Kanilea concert. I've heard it may reduce resale value, but I bought this thing to play, not as an investment. Having said that, I don't recall seeing an end block. How do you recommend proceeding if there isn't one?

I would be very surprised if it does not have one. What model do you have?

If your uke doesn't have a tail block (such as a dolphin) you can glue a wood disc inside the body to anchor the screw

I do not plan to install the other button although Ohana even agreed there should be adequate space at the neck heel to do it. I like how it works tied to the headstock. The uke stays put while playing and it is the perfect length for me so that I don't even have to loosen it - just put on over my head and play.

If there is no end block, I think you are limited to buttonless options - Uke Leash, Möbius, sound hole hook, etc. but check again with a flashlight. You might also want to ask Kanilea directly - info@kanileaukulele.com

Thanks for suggesting emailing them. I always figure the makers are so busy I don't like asking them. I guess that like any business they make time for customer relations though, because they answered:

"We install strap buttons and strap jacks often. Our 'ukulele are designed to accommodate them. There is a tail block at the base of the inside of your 'ukulele. Not too worry about drilling the hole. The issue to worry about is doing it correctly. You do not want to crack the seam of the bottom. We recommend having a local luthier do the install if this is your first attempt."

Now I just have to get a button worthy of my uke. Saw some nice bone ones somewhere, though ebony might be nice...

Top Bottom