Started a coffin case

oldetymey

Reaction score
Had a bunch of scrap wood left over from remodel project, and decided to take a shot at a coffin case...laid it out on graph paper first to figure out the angles, and built the body today. Its just made from cheap pine 1x4's and the bottom is 1/4 ply underlayment. I built it for my silvertone, and it looks a little big in the pics, but the silvertone is a small bodied soprano, and I wanted it to be universal for all my ukes so I gave it a little extra space. The gobs of stuff on it is just putty covering the screw heads, when thats dry it will get a sand, stain and poly, and lined with padding and muppet skin. Its nothing special, but getting the angles right was a pain so Im pretty psyched it turned out so good in that regard. Its amazingly light for solid wood (probably because its such cheap wood). Tommorow Ill build a plank lid for it. Im not getting too fancy with it, and Im leaving alot of imperfections in it, I want it to resemble kind of an weathered old west style "pine box". My wife recently let me convert an unused bedroom off of our family room into a dedicated workshop so I wanted an easy fun project to kick it off, best of all its free!

coffincase3.jpgcoffincase2.jpgcoffincase1.jpg

Not sure why you would want to bury what looks like a perfectly fine uke. :p:p

Very cool :). Looking forward to see the finished work. How will you carry the case? Or is it just meant to be for storing the ukes?

And obviously a very awesome wife you've got :).

Very cool :). Looking forward to see the finished work. How will you carry the case? Or is it just meant to be for storing the ukes?

And obviously a very awesome wife you've got :).

Its for carrying. Itll have latches and a handle on the side, and all that jazz, but it will need all the finish put on first. Thanks, the wifes alright I guess. ;)

Cool! Can you share those angles?

Sure can, heres a quick sketch, hopefully you can make out whats what....I only mapped out one side, but obviously the other side is the same angles.

plans.jpg

U seem very good with with wood. Perhaps the next project ... an ukulele. ;)

Cool, cool, cool!

Here's one I built for my uke.

image.jpg

Cheers
Darren

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 17
You've already done the hardest bit, making the case.

For the plush work, I found the easiest way was to make individual "panels" out of thin MDF (I think it was about 3mm thick) and then cut some padding to size, cut your material about 15mm larger than the panel, and hot glue it to the back of the panel, and wrap it around the padding (does that make sense?). Then I just hot glued it to the inside of the case. It turned out way better than I expected.

Cheers
Darren

totally makes sense, thanks for the tip. Im actually surprised companies dont use hot melt glues for this application, it seems like it would be plenty strong. Considering the biggest complaint I hear about hard cases is the smell from the gassing of the toxic adhesives they do use youd think someone would have discovered a better way like what you did.

Top Bottom