Stringing a resonator tips please.

Almost Human

Reaction score
Okay so I'm going to be re stringing my resonator Uke this week it's a Kala Resonator, I've never stringed a resonator before so any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

I personally only remove 1 string and replace 1 string (and bring to tension) at a time on my resonator. I'm not sure that is absolutely necessary, but it will help to keep even pressure on the cone. What strings do you plan to put on it?

Thanks for the advice :)

I'm putting on D'Addario Titanium Tenor Ukulele Strings

You will find different rules of thought on string types for a resonator ukulele. My personal experience is that I prefer a low tension string (I actually have Martin M600's on mine now). I tried a set of high tension Kala Reds on my resonator once and it turned out poorly (to my ear). If you have not done so, you may want to read up on recommendations of string types for resonators.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to find out from the company what strings they think may collapse the cone. Unless it is some kind of titanium coating rather than titanium metal strings, you may be okay. Is Kala is made to withstand the downbearing of metal strings? It is recommended that the two inside strings are put on first, and just pulled snug---not up to pitch, and then the two outer strings the same way. bring the two centers up to pitch, then the outers. By doing that, the neck stays centered rather than being wracked sideways as happens when 4then 3 are put on and pulled up tightly or even up to pitch and the same for 2 then 1. It really is easier on the instrument to bring them all up a bit at at a time across the nut.

Does yours go through wood at the tail or into a slit on the cone cover? Some resonators have slits which look wide enough to feed two strings into it, so trying to tie a large enough knot is a pain. A small plastic or metal bead (glasss will break)has a smaller hole so the knot is easier, and it also protects against chafing against the cone cover and takes the chances of the metal edge of the cover cutting off the knot to be less likely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom