Duke Kahanamoku Uke - is it worth anything?

aquadan

Reaction score
We found this in a thrift store yesterday and are trying to decide if it's worth a trip back to buy it.

It's listed at $33, and prices on the net seem to run from $19 to $300. I'm assuming real values are closer to the low end of the range. From reading up on them, there are 2 grades - touristy, and OK (slightly less touristy?) There are no labels inside or on the headstock, so I haven't been able to determine its age or which build quality it might be.

Aside from missing strings and loose tuners it looks to be in very good condition and I think is in the original box although the box is just plain cardboard.

Is anyone familiar with these instruments?

duke-front.jpgduke-back.jpgduke-neck.jpg

They are basically all tourist instruments. Some of the older ones were halfway decent. This doesn't look like one of those.

It's missing a couple of strings. Get them to throw in a package of strings and I might pay $25-$30 for it - it's probably no worse than any other uke in that price range.

John

Thanks, that's pretty much what I expected, but figured it was worth double checking. If it was $15 I'd have grabbed it for kicks, but we'll leave it for someone else.

Actually they are in the price range of 65 - 85 dollars....that is what I would pay as mentioned they are low grade touristy ukes....the pineapple model is the rare one....not many were made..

Don't know about the uke but I had a Duke Kahanamoku skateboard many decades ago. It was awesome!

Thanks, that's pretty much what I expected, but figured it was worth double checking. If it was $15 I'd have grabbed it for kicks, but we'll leave it for someone else.

15 bucks stopped you from grabbing it? Can't be any worse than a cheap Lanikai that sells for double that, can it? Just have water instead of that 15 bucks worth of beer or wine next time you go out to dinner at a restaurant !!:)

15 bucks stopped you from grabbing it? Can't be any worse than a cheap Lanikai that sells for double that, can it? Just have water instead of that 15 bucks worth of beer or wine next time you go out to dinner at a restaurant !!:)

really! a guy in our uke club has one and I'd def' give him $100 for it! he wouldn't take it though...

Last edited:
Top Bottom