PDA

View Full Version : I went public!!!

Macbrayne
04-28-2013, 02:27 PM
I finally strummed up courage to go along to the local uke club. Being self conscious I didn't want to look foolish so I spent a few months practising. I shouldn't have worried as there are all levels there and nobody could hear my mistakes anyway. Great fun and I learned lots. It also made me realise that I was playing too slowly on my own. I managed to keep up with most tunes but on others my fingers were going like Jimmy Page in full flight. I haven't laughed so much in ages.

perep
04-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Good for you, I remember a short time ago being in same boat. Keep on strummin & laughing

Nickie
04-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Way to go! It is fun, it's impossible NOT to have a good time playing my uke with others...I am told I grin with sort of a madman smile....

ukuLily Mars
04-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Yay! Good for you!

UkeKiddinMe
04-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Congrats. That's great.

kvehe
04-28-2013, 03:11 PM
That's great to hear!

sukie
04-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Glad you had fun. I get a lot of enjoyment from ukulele club.

airmanfoote
04-29-2013, 05:14 AM
Awesome! I never thought I'd play in public either, but then one day while waiting on the wife to finish laundry, my buddy and I busted out our ukes and within seconds a stranger came over and gave us a lesson in the Blues and Bluegrass! Never thought I'd be showing a guitar player where to find his I, IV, & V on a ukulele. Thanks to UU I didn't look like an idiot, but like a musician! Keep strumming in public, it is indeed fun! And you never know who you will meet.

teruterubouzu
04-29-2013, 05:39 AM
You rock! I'm trying to get up the nerve to go to my local uke club. Tonight may be the night.

SailingUke
04-29-2013, 05:43 AM
I have always encouraged students to go to a club gathering as soon as possible.
Most groups are fabulous at lending support.
Playing with others as valuable as a lesson with an instructor.

sukie
04-29-2013, 07:12 AM
You rock! I'm trying to get up the nerve to go to my local uke club. Tonight may be the night.

Do it. Tonight is a good one.

teruterubouzu
04-29-2013, 07:15 AM
Do it. Tonight is a good one.
Cool. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll try to psych myself up for it. If it ends up being a stretch night, I'll be content with just watching, if that would be ok. Are you going?

sukie
04-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Cool. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll try to psych myself up for it. If it ends up being a stretch night, I'll be content with just watching, if that would be ok. Are you going?

Yep.

Oops, sorry to go off topic, OP. I do it all the time. Sorry.

teruterubouzu
04-29-2013, 07:35 AM
Yes, sorry OP! I'm terrible about staying on topic (both here and in real life). Squirrel!

wayfarer75
04-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Oooo, I found a club near me, and I'm still getting up the nerve to go.

PereBourik
04-29-2013, 08:21 AM

Treat yourself to some uku therapy. My club only meets once a month but it is great fun and somehow normalizes the weirdness of my playing.

gitarzan
04-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Ukulele get togethers are great. Uke players are the friendliest and most helpful people in the world. By all means get out there and p,ay with others.

teruterubouzu
04-30-2013, 03:38 AM
Thank you for starting this thread, Macbrayne. I went to my local club last night and had a great time. It was a "stretch" night, which meant people were supposed to do things out of their comfort zone. By my account I succeeded in that by just showing up, and I know I'll be back. If anyone else is dithering about attending a ukulele local club, I'd encourage you to give it a try. I came home really excited about practicing so I can do better next time.

camperman
04-30-2013, 01:34 PM

First off... Well done to the OP.
I recently plucked up enough courage to go to a club too.

And to teruterubouzu... Just go for it. The strum a longs will be so loud you can't hear your own playing so it becomes a sort of cloak of invisibility. You might not even be able to hear yourself and you'll know what mistakes you make but no one else will. However you can take that away and practice ready for the next meet.

Nickie
04-30-2013, 01:55 PM
I can do no more than to echo what has been said here....there is nothing in the world better than playing music with my friends....did Willie Nelson say something lkke that?

arpie
04-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Good on you, Mac - your playing (and confidence in playing) will improve incredibly quickly ...... and you will find yourself keeping up with speed too.

Where abouts in Qld are you? There are heaps of top uke clubs there - keep goin' & happy strummin'!

Roberta

OldePhart
04-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Good on ya!

(But, every time I see this thread I want to ask you your ticker symbol so I can see how you trend and whether I want to buy stock or not...)

John

mm stan
04-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Congrats way to go....Happy strummings...