40's Harmony Tuner screw snapped...

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just bought a 40's harmony baritone in mint condition except it has a frozen tuner..when I tryed to take the frozen tuner off,
the screw head snapped....shoots..do you know anybody that may have parts for it...or just one tuner or a set, let me know...thanks in advance...Stan

Stan.
There is seller guzi65 on ebay-great guy-currentl he only has 60s ones:
View at eBay: The item ID is 281099668354.

Looks like an accidental double post by the OP. Hopefully, the mods can merge the two threads together.

Last edited:
What we need to see is the shaft which is under the button and the spacer on the underside of the headstock. Favilla and some other early instruments had the decorative spacer. The length of the shaft below the part which is the string post, and the diameter across the flat part of the end which goes into the button will also help. There are many of us have a These and Those box or drawer. This and That only lasted for about a week. It will help both of your posts if you give us some numbers either metric or inches.

Aloha Crafted Cow,
thank you for your response...the tuner post is a simple design of two components...the post shaft is total length of about 5mm, the top where the string goes through stop is 3/4 mm,
from there the whole round shaft is 1 1/2mm, then it is shaved on both sides of the shaft to 2/10th mm.....and the screw frozen in the post is 1 mm. the spacer is 1.1mm here is the picture....sorry for the blurryness....hope you can help thank you stan

Aloha Stan:

Can you remove the broken screw and replace it? I have a source for miniature screws, if that is all you need.

It depends how much you want to put into extracting the screw. The first thing I'd try is a couple of vise grips, one for the screw and the other for the tuner stem. If you can't move it that way, you could try a screw extractor, although I don't know if they come that small. If it were me, I'd probably try the grips and if I couldn't remove the screw, I'd just get a set of replacement tuners. Save the problem one for someday when I had plenty of patience.

Aloha Howie,
I tried with the vice grip pliers and regular....all I did was strip the threads...maybe soak it in penetrating oil or something...somebody must have some idea...keep the ideas coming...
thank you, stan

Aloha Howie...
wish I had a torch and could weld a nut on the end to extract the screw...did look at those extractors and wonder if they would work of frozen metal screws as efficent as wood screws..

Top Bottom