New uke day!! (belated) LoPrinzi custom koa soprano

Mattyukaholic

Reaction score
On friday my lovely new LoPrinzi arrived from Mike at Uke Republic. I'm sure it's all been said before, but I can't say enough nice things about Mike. He was very patient answering all my emails whilst I deliberated what model to buy, and he sorted me out with a great deal.

I've decided I'm definitely a soprano boy. Having gone through a phase of trying everything I realised I like a fairly specific old time sound that seemed to be only in the sopranos I have played. I recently got a Kiwaya KTS-4 (which I am absolutely in love with) so decided to try something a bit different in soprano size.

Onto this uke. OH THE WOOD!!!!!! :drool: I've played quite a few K brands but this looks and feels like the best ukulele I have played. The koa is very dark and wonderfully patterned. It has an almost 3D effect as you turn it in the light. At first I just couldn't stop staring at it and turning it over and over in my hands! It has faux tortoiseshell binding and a rosette inlay. The neck is light coloured mahogany.

It is really well made. That was the second impression I got. This one was made by Donna and she did a great job. The frets are smooth and polished, it is set up well, the inside looks meticulous with no splinters or glue, the bridge is neat. The only real imperfection I can find is that where the tuners have been put in the wood around is not entirely smooth (like it has been cut but not sanded right down.) That's about it though.

It is a surprisingly heavy ukulele for it's size and that probably contributes to it's quietness. However, I don't mind that at all because the sound that does come out is really good, with lots of depth.The sound is also very clear and it has great note separation. The intonation is good up the neck. In fact that's another great thing about it - the lean fast neck, with 19 frets, makes it SO playable. It is comfortable and a joy to play. When I form chords past the fifth fret which sometimes muffle on other ukes they come out clean and sound great.

I didn't like the LoPrinzi strings if I am honest and tried it with a variety of strings. The best are the D'Addario Titaniums. They're very thick but they make it sound really bright and crisp, and boost the volume.

One weekend with this uke and I'm already in love. I can see the sound opening up over time and I've found the sweetspot for strumming. I'm a very content ukulele player.

I've spoiled myself (and ruined my bank account) this month as I have a Kiwaya KTS-7 on order from France now. I'll post about that when it comes. In the meantime here are some pictures...

Matt :)

loprinzi2.jpgloprinzi3.jpg

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 69
Looks really nice. Is this a long neck soprano?

Nice! I have a KTS7 myself you will NOT be disappointed with that! would love a LoPrinzi, is it still cheaper with taxes/customs getting something from uke republic on this side of the Atlantic? I managed to get the KTS7 from France but LoPrinzi's are harder to find

Just give it a bit of time--my own LoPrinzi opened up gloriously to have a commanding, sweet voice ("It doesn't *sound* like a soprano" someone told me once in surprise). Donna and Augie do a great job with their instruments; I'd consider them among those "hidden" luthiers producing some singularly nice instruments.

Nice! I have a KTS7 myself you will NOT be disappointed with that! would love a LoPrinzi, is it still cheaper with taxes/customs getting something from uke republic on this side of the Atlantic? I managed to get the KTS7 from France but LoPrinzi's are harder to find

Did you get your KTS7 from Exquisite? Just ordered mine from there. Can't wait, hope the wait isn't too bad!!

I got a good deal on shipping from Mike which helped a bit. The customs were £120 so still steep. But I think even with this factored in it's not too bad. I've gotten a lot of ukes from the States because I find even with customs it's cheaper.

Just give it a bit of time--my own LoPrinzi opened up gloriously to have a commanding, sweet voice ("It doesn't *sound* like a soprano" someone told me once in surprise). Donna and Augie do a great job with their instruments; I'd consider them among those "hidden" luthiers producing some singularly nice instruments.

Thanks Tonya and everyone. This one is definitely a keeper! I'm very happy.

Congrats, Matt. Of all the ukes I've owned and since sold, I find I think about the Loprinzi more than any of them. (Interesting about the weight, though. I had a tenor, which I thought was rather light compared to a Pono tenor -- obviously -- and a Kamaka.)

Cheers.

Did you get your KTS7 from Exquisite? Just ordered mine from there. Can't wait, hope the wait isn't too bad!!

I got a good deal on shipping from Mike which helped a bit. The customs were £120 so still steep. But I think even with this factored in it's not too bad. I've gotten a lot of ukes from the States because I find even with customs it's cheaper.
I got mine from ukebox.fr thankfully they had it in stock

That sure has a beautiful grain. Congratulations on your new LoPrinzi!
-joe

Top Bottom