loudest strings you've tried?

janeray1940

Reaction score
I'm laughing out loud as I write this, since I thought it would *never* be a question I'd need to ask, but - what are the loudest strings you've tried? On a koa or mahogany soprano, in case that makes a difference.

Suddenly I'm finding myself needing to be heard more loudly in a group - the bigger ukes are drowning me out! I'm not ready to commit to playing amplified at this point and am wondering if a string change might make a difference.

Currently using Martin M600s; thinking I may have to go back to Aquilas...

I'm laughing out loud as I write this, since I thought it would *never* be a question I'd need to ask, but - what are the loudest strings you've tried? On a koa or mahogany soprano, in case that makes a difference.

Suddenly I'm finding myself needing to be heard more loudly in a group - the bigger ukes are drowning me out! I'm not ready to commit to playing amplified at this point and am wondering if a string change might make a difference.

Currently using Martin M600s; thinking I may have to go back to Aquilas...

If your group plays fingerpicking songs, you have no hope. If you are strumming, then hopefully the higher pitched sound would distinguish your uke from the larger ones. You gotta remember if you are using aquilas, bigger ukes can use aquila too.

You just can't beat physics. Good luck

Last edited:
I think youre going to get alot of folks saying aquilas......as the loudest that is, volume doesnt denote quality, although I prefer aquilas.

If your group plays fingerpicking songs, you have no hope. If you are strumming, then hopefully the higher pitched sound would distinguish your uke from the larger ones. You gotta remember if you are using aquilas, bigger ukes can use aquila too. Good luck

LOL I have no hope :)

Actually I used to use concert Aquilas on my sops, and they seemed really loud to me. So I'm going to give that another go.

(And this is my larger, Monday night McCabe's group I'm talking about. A couple of people were giving me a hard time about playing too quietly recently, which I don't think I do.)

I think youre going to get alot of folks saying aquilas......as the loudest that is, volume doesnt denote quality, although I prefer aquilas.

Thanks, I suspect that's where this is going to go :) And that's fine - I don't dislike Aquilas exactly, I just prefer the feel and availablity of the Martins, but maybe it's time for a change.

M,
If allowed I would consider plugging in a small amp (like a microcube) just to get a boost.
You can keep your strings you like and you won't change your playing style trying to get added volume.
I have seen when folks try to play loud they lose their touch as well.
Plug in, turn it way up so I can here you up the coast in Ventura. :)

I'd be interested to hear your assessment of a change of strings but I don't think a string change will make that much of a difference.
Brighter strings sometimes cut through other ukes in ensemble playing but I prefer low amplification in our group setting--4 ukes.

I think the answer lies in asking everyone to play more quietly so that the ensemble sound can be heard. In group playing it often is difficult to hear your own uke so instinctively we all play louder. Soon everyone is strumming away at high volume and no one can hear themself playing.

M,
If allowed I would consider plugging in a small amp (like a microcube) just to get a boost.
You can keep your strings you like and you won't change your playing style trying to get added volume.
I have seen when folks try to play loud they lose their touch as well.
Plug in, turn it way up so I can here you up the coast in Ventura. :)

None of my ukes have pickups installed. Tried that once and really hated the sound - I'm convinced that having the pickup inside the uke altered the tone.

I'd be interested to hear your assessment of a change of strings but I don't think a string change will make that much of a difference.
Brighter strings sometimes cut through other ukes in ensemble playing but I prefer low amplification in our group setting--4 ukes.

I think the answer lies in asking everyone to play more quietly so that the ensemble sound can be heard. In group playing it often is difficult to hear your own uke so instinctively we all play louder. Soon everyone is strumming away at high volume and no one can hear themself playing.

This is more of a fingerpicking group than a strumming group. The odd thing is, I sound really loud to myself, but not to others - kind of the opposite of what you are describing.

I'm going to pick up some Aquilas tonight and will report back. I'm looking forward to experimenting!

I think loudest would be Aquila......but personnaly I just don't like the tone of it.....

You know, I think it depends on the uke. I love how they sound on my friend's Kamaka tenor, but on my little Kamaka pineapple I preferred the tone of the Martins. I'm going to try them on my mahogany soprano, which I haven't tried before.

Time for a sound hole mic. or just a mic close to your uke.

But I would think higher tension strings would drive your soundboard more and be louder. Try higher tension strings (Worth HD,etc, Saverez or other guitar strings.).

Time for a sound hole mic. or just a mic close to your uke.

But I would think higher tension strings would drive your soundboard more and be louder. Try higher tension strings (Worth HD,etc, Saverez or other guitar strings.).

Thanks Doc, hadn't thought of guitar strings. I usually put concert strings on my sopranos and I know this is ok, but do you think I would be risking any damage with the higher tension of guitar strings?

Try the Aquila Red strings. They are a thinner diameter string - but the use of copper in making the string gives some pretty amazing results. (They do feel completely different from Aquila Nyglut strings...)

I've got them on my Kala Cedar Top Tenor, and they stood up fine in a traditional folk music song circle, where I was the only Uke, and there were multiple guitars, banjos, an autoharp, a mandolin, penny whistles, flute, and voices. The only instrument that was drowning me out was a tenor banjo, played with a pick.

Also, while he plays Tenor, rather than soprano, Rick Turner used Savarez Classical Guitar Stringd on his personal ukes.

-Kurt​

Try the Aquila Red strings. They are a thinner diameter string - but the use of copper in making the string gives some pretty amazing results. (They do feel completely different from Aquila Nyglut strings...)

I've got them on my Kala Cedar Top Tenor, and they stood up fine in a traditional folk music song circle, where I was the only Uke, and there were multiple guitars, banjos, an autoharp, a mandolin, penny whistles, flute, and voices. The only instrument that was drowning me out was a tenor banjo, played with a pick.

Also, while he plays Tenor, rather than soprano, Rick Turner used Savarez Classical Guitar Stringd on his personal ukes.
]

Thanks Kurt, I didn't know the Aquila Reds came in sets - thought they were just low G. Seem to be hard to come by though!

And, that song circle sounds like a lot of fun :)

I've found D'Addario titaniums do the job for me. They are quite thick but have a nice bright clear tone and much nicer than aquillas. They're quite different though.

Thanks Doc, hadn't thought of guitar strings. I usually put concert strings on my sopranos and I know this is ok, but do you think I would be risking any damage with the higher tension of guitar strings?

Yes, too much tension could be bad news. Check with Mike D about what tensions would be OK on it.

The Aquila Reds suggested by ksiegel are a good idea too. The D'Addario T2 seem similar to Alohi strings (purple monofilament) of a larger diameter, also higher tension.

None of my ukes have pickups installed. Tried that once and really hated the sound - I'm convinced that having the pickup inside the uke altered the tone.

Kremona UK-1 ($70) is a pretty high quality piezo pickup. It's great if you have a tie bridge as it slips under the strings at the bridge. You don't even have to re-string, just loosen the strings to slip it under and re-tune. No permanent commitment and it lets you decide if amped is the way to go. The signal needs some help to get it sounding uku-like. I use a Behringer AD121 ($40) as an outboard preamp. HMS is showing a K&K preamp that clips on your belt.

Loudest strings on most ukes? Fluorocarbon fishing leaders in the same gages as a Worth CH set. Louder even than Aquilas on most ukes. Some really lightly constructed ukes don't handle that much tension well - my KoAloha notably got much, much quieter with the heavy gage strings - they pinched the typical open KoAloha sound right down to miserable. Couldn't get them off fast enough.

But, yeah, on everything that can handle the tension without having the soundboard go too rigid to vibrate well, CH strings are da bomb.

John

Top Bottom