How to get comfy playing in front of folks?

oldetymey

Reaction score
I dont get it. I grew up in bands, and concert choirs, and show choirs, and musicals in school. I never had an issue performing. I was a karaoke legend in my time (perhaps also only in my mind :)). For some odd reason now however I freeze up when people ask me to play the uke for them. Its like getting older has totally wrecked my confidence in performing. Especially if it involves singing, even in front of my family. Id like to get back to a point where I could play out at the odd open mike, and I would really like to participate in the seasons contests here on the site. My technical skills have progressed enough I feel like I could be pretty respectable. So any pointers how to baby step my comfort level back up? Today as part of my all day uke day I wandered over to the local college campus found a sunny spot by some ponds, and played for a couple hours. I went from being very self aware to by the end being annoyed that no one seemed to be paying any attention whatsoever. No one does indifferent like college kids, and thats probably just what I needed. Someone to be there, but not care I was there.....if that makes sense. Anyway I feel like that was a good start, and I want to build on that little victory. So how did you guys get over performance anxiety?

No advice to offer. This is just a bump because I want to follow the thread. Hanging out at the college sounds cool. But I'm an old-enough guy that I'd get visited by security as a lurker/stalker.

No advice to offer. This is just a bump because I want to follow the thread. Hanging out at the college sounds cool. But I'm an old-enough guy that I'd get visited by security as a lurker/stalker.

I thought the same thing at first. Im 36, and thats not old fart level or anything, but it was enough to make me aware of it. There were however alot of older folks on the campus (both students and faculty) and they were just as good at ignoring me as the kids :)

Me too.

I'm glad you asked this question. Because I am having the same problem. I freeze up and feel and look like a don't know what I am doing when I get in front of anyone but my immediate family. It's too weird because I am getting pretty decent and playing. It'll be interesting to see what people say here. :eek:

Yeah, you don't want to embarrass in front of your peers. Even if you you won't.

Im ok with playing in front of family now. I wish I could play for some of them, now, but they've passed on. My grandparents would have liked it.

My anti-audience is my coworkers. None of them can play any instrument whatsoever, but without even hearing me, I get made fun of for playing. Screw 'em.

Anyway, playing to an somewhat anonymous audience seems easier to me.

Top Bottom