PDA

View Full Version : Different types of tuning?

poodle448
04-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Hello, I don't know for sure where this should go, but I felt like this would be a good place. So, I got a Soprano Ukulele about two months ago and I love it! I've been playing at least three hours a day; I even have a wall mount up for it now! The only thing I'm trying to figure out, is are there other ways of tuning a Ukulele? I know the standard GCEA, but I wanted to know if there was any others and how common they are, because I know with the guitar for example, there's a lot of ways to tune it. Thanks!

(Also, I do have a tuner)

PS. I've been practicing Let it Be - The Beatles most of the time, but I have a problem going from the C chord to the G, any tips on how to easily go to a G?:confused::confused:

-Thanks!

Kanaka916
04-29-2013, 01:08 PM
You can tune 1 step up to D (A D F# B). As far as transitioning from chord to chord, in your case from C to G. Use your ring finger for the C, makes it easier to finger the G. And yea, it takes practice for it to come naturally.

mm stan
04-29-2013, 01:39 PM
So much to write on altered tuning....depends on how your uke sounds...every uke has a different voice and everyone has a dfferent reference...whether you'd like it brighter or warmer
you move up or down in half steps....find the sweet spot for your strings and pitch....good luck...hope it helps..

allanr
04-29-2013, 02:55 PM
The D tuning mentioned above was very common in Canada at one time, not so much now.

However, you can have fun creating your own alternate tuning based on open chords. For example, with standard GCEA tuning strumming open gives you a C6 chord. Tune your A string up to A#/Bb and you now have an open C7 chord. Now you can play 1 4 5 blues just by barring the 5th and 7th frets straight across

OldePhart
04-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Another common open tuning is to tune the A string down to G. You now have an open C tuning. Typically, guitarists playing styles that call for open tunings are more likely to play in open D so you could tune the other three stings up one full step (ADF#A) for open D tuning and play right along with 'em or even to G B D G for an open G tuning when playing with guitars using that tuning or A C# E A for an open A tuning.

John

Tootler
04-30-2013, 12:55 AM
You can also take standard tubing down a tone to F Bb D G (Bb tuning) though I would prefer to do that on a Concert or Tenor with their higher string tension in standard tuning. In fact, I keep a concert in Bb tuning.

Ondrej
04-30-2013, 01:57 AM
Book with 28 tuning for ukulele can be found here (http://www.amazon.com/Open-Tunings-Ukulele-ONDREJ-SAREK/dp/0786684550/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367319297&sr=8-1&keywords=open+tuning+ukulele).

poodle448
05-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Thank you all for the help on this! :D

Hms
05-01-2013, 10:22 AM
C to G it's all preparation.
Use the ring finger for C
Before moving to G you can place the middle finger fret 2 of the A string. this wont sound as the C covers it.
When time comes to move to G ring finger moves up one string, middle finger stays where it is and index finger is placed on the second fret on the C string.
I think tha's all correct as I'm having to do it on my air Uke!
h