Made a double tenor case for someone with 2 Fremont cases
http://ukeeku.com/2013/04/29/double-fremont-tenor-case/

tell me what you think.

Added a couple pics here if you don't want to read the article

SPECS
Outside Dimensions:
30″ Wide X 11.5″ Deep X 9.5″ tall

Inside Dimensions of Each Side:
28″ Wide X 9.5″ Deep X 3.5″ Tall (Up to the soft foam in the top)

Weighs 18LB empty

Price:
$250 (Slightly cheaper for smaller sizes)

fremont_double_ukulele_top1.gif

fremont_double_ukulele_inside1.gif

fremont_double_ukulele_bottom1.gif

fremont_double_ukulele_handle1.gif

any thoughts? comments? Concerns. Don't worry about hurting my feelings if you think this is stupid.
I think I can shave a couple LB on the next one by taking out the filler piece

I love double cases. I have a double gig bag for cavaquinhos (approximately the size of a concert uke) I bought locally and it is a great improvement. I never play with less than two ukes, so carrying one gig bag instead of two cases is much easier.

Just after I bought the double gig bag I found a triple one, for two cavaquinhos plus one banjo-cavaquinho. If I'd seen it before I would've buy it without thinking!

Tim: why not put two separate cases--any size, any style--in a heavy-duty large canvas duffle bag (like the kind they sell in Army surplus stores): it'll add almost no weight, plus have a shoulder strap. If and when it doesn't fit in a car trunk, a overhead bin, etc., one simply takes the two cases out and stows them away separately. If rattling and movement of cases in the bag is annoying, just flat bungee them together before putting them in the canvas bag. A few canvas military style bags have dual shoulder backpack-style straps, so that'd be another potential way to carry them--plus almost all bags have short handles for hand carry. Some have rolling wheels (huge "positive"). Additionally, most bags have one or two outside zippered pockets for stowing last minute items, too; a hard case does not. Canvas bags are washable. Hockey gear bags are superb for this purpose: giant and strong, extra pockets, and wheeled (about $75 for a sweet one).

Just a thought. Steve

68570_BLACK_LG.jpglargeduffelbagcanvas.jpgOZtrail-Canvas-Duffle-Bag-Extra-Large.jpghockey-bags.jpg

The green canvas one is $29 and made to carry a family sized tent, so pretty sturdy and wide opening.

Last edited:
Tim: why not put two separate cases--any size, any style--in a heavy-duty large canvas duffle bag (like the kind they sell in Army surplus stores): it'll add almost no weight, plus have a shoulder strap. If and when it doesn't fit in a car trunk, a overhead bin, etc., one simply takes the two cases out and stows them away separately. If rattling and movement of cases in the bag is annoying, just flat bungee them together before putting them in the canvas bag. A few canvas military style bags have dual shoulder backpack-style straps, so that'd be another potential way to carry them--plus almost all bags have short handles for hand carry. Some have rolling wheels (huge "positive"). Additionally, most bags have one or two outside zippered pockets for stowing last minute items, too; a hard case does not. Canvas bags are washable. Hockey gear bags are superb for this purpose: giant and strong, extra pockets, and wheeled (about $75 for a sweet one).

Just a thought. Steve

View attachment 52474View attachment 52475View attachment 52476View attachment 52477

The green canvas one is $29 and made to carry a family sized tent, so pretty sturdy and wide opening.

please take this as an answer to your question. I wracked my brain and thought the same thing.
the bag idea will not work for several reasons.
1. with the feet on the tenor cases the height is 11" tall when stacked.
2. if you take it onto a plane and take the cases out you have 2 carry-on right there, and the point it to take 2 ukes and another carry-on

NOW the other idea I had (And I have one of these) is the Gator GP-PC308W Drum Set Cases
41Snt56PavL._SX300_.jpg

It is super rigid and 2 tenor fremont cases fit with room for books on each side, OR 1 tenor and 2 concert/soprano Fremont cases fit perfectly.
it is way to big as a carry-on, but with the hard cases plus hard shell you could gate check it when you get on the plane, and get it right when you get off.

thank you for commenting. Hope to see you Saturday at the Normal fun jam where I will have the case with me.

Thanks for the invitation, Tim. My son is going to ISU Business (CPA Masters, Insurance Minor) in autumn, btw. I don't know why I wrote that, I know you no longer work for ISU. It's by your Fusion Tea, I guess.

I think the hockey bag would swallow the entire thing whole, legs and all. It would fit in the overhead bin as well as two cases together. It adds no bulk.

That said, if the goal really is to put two ukes in one case the Gator drum case is a good one, if for no other reason than gig bags could be used in it.

I, personally, would not want a hard double case. I think the double Femont would not fit in the carry-on metal gauge thingy by the ramps at the airport--it looks too big.

All that said, you always shows a true "think outside the box" creativity, T. It's refreshing. Thanks for sharing and perhaps others will chime in with tweaks and ideas.

I, personally, would not want a hard double case. I think the double Femont would not fit in the carry-on metal gauge thingy by the ramps at the airport--it looks too big.

Took it to the Bloomington airport
fremont_double_ukulele_airport.gif

it is too long, but you can ask for permission to still put it in the overhead.

Top Bottom