Aesthetic Requirements for Customs???

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Are there any things you must have on a custom ordered uke?

For me, I need bound fretboard as I hate seeing the ends of the fret. It's even worse when I see the hammered part a little crooked, there's some space, and worst of all, it gets dirt or greenish mold in the crevices.

I really like slotted headstocks and that is dictated more by the price but not necessary.

What are other things you need on your custom order?

With any stringed instrument other than violins or cellos which rarely come with embellishments, I like to start out looking for flawless joinery. I have picked up a few fabulous looking instruments that began to quickly diminish in my eyes upon closer inspection. To me, finish flaws are a fairly reliable indicator of structural issues.

That said, I like wood binding on both top, back and fretboard. I never really thought much about rosettes as most of my instruments have f holes. That changed when I first saw the MP I recently purchased. Luckily for me, all the rosette inlay is wood which I much prefer to shell inlays.

I never knew that I would come to prefer a slot head on a uke. I have a very old Kay classical guitar with a slot head and it has always seemed a bit crude to me. The slot head and hi tech Gotoh tuners that came on the MP changed that view for me.

Figured wood is a mixed bag, in my view. I would rather have well balanced tonewoods that reveal little grain activity than a highly figured wood that does not sound as good.

Headstocks on ukes seem to get a fair amount of graphic treatment and, while I can appreciate the skill and artistry that went into the creation, I prefer a minimal logo. I am a sucker for creativily carved/shaped bridges, though.

Have the luthier do what they know they do best. Don't ask the luthier to do work out of his/her comfort zone.

super lightweight, 12,324,934,943 pieces of brazillian rosewood and other exotic woods marquetry rosette, illegally bought abalone shell inlay of my name in mandarin and in reverse italics. an inlayed Mona lisa on the back...with aquila strings. :)
eeeeeooooh yes brother. Can you build me one like that but with an inlay of a bald, fat guy :drool:

Are there any things you must have on a custom ordered uke?

For me, I need bound fretboard as I hate seeing the ends of the fret. It's even worse when I see the hammered part a little crooked, there's some space, and worst of all, it gets dirt or greenish mold in the crevices.

I really like slotted headstocks and that is dictated more by the price but not necessary.

What are other things you need on your custom order?

Awww Dan, you don't like my Kerry Char tenor then? LoL

If slotted headstock is an option, I'm down for that. Other options I like would be rosewood or ebony binding and a rosette, add an ebony fretboard and headstock. Oh, and ebony buttons on the tuner to match the headstock. :)

ZERO bling!!

Apparently, and I didn't know this before reading another thread, bling negates all positive tonal qualities in ukuleles. :)

gloss gloss and more gloss

Shoots...I'll make an exception and take it off your hands. Yours is so beautiful that I didn't look at the fretboard...hehehe

I hear it is for sale..at the right price...

It had to have a flamingo. The rest I could negotiate. But I didn't have to.

Top Bottom