PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this instrument is???

Bob Bledsoe
05-01-2013, 05:22 AM
I'm working in Mississippi right now and finding all kinds of crazy southern stuff... Check out this instrument I found. Cigar box, 3 bass guitar strings, pickup installed!... I have no idea what it is. Anyone know?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvA04LQKRnI&feature=player_embedded

UncleMoon
05-01-2013, 06:08 AM
I'm gonna step out on a limb and say a cigar box bass. Cigar box guitars are huge right now.

Bob Bledsoe
05-01-2013, 06:21 AM
That's probably the best thing to call it, but it's only got 3 strings. It might be something someone just made up.

The Big Kahuna
05-01-2013, 06:36 AM
3 string diddly bow ?

Bob Bledsoe
05-01-2013, 06:47 AM
3 string diddly bow ?

That's what I'm gonna call it. Love that name.

OldePhart
05-01-2013, 07:19 AM
That's probably the best thing to call it, but it's only got 3 strings. It might be something someone just made up.

Many cigar box guitars have three strings...scale looks pretty short for a bass, especially with the treble bass strings that it looks like are on it - how was it tuned? I'm thinking maybe tuned like a baritone guitar?

Bob Bledsoe
05-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Many cigar box guitars have three strings...scale looks pretty short for a bass, especially with the treble bass strings that it looks like are on it - how was it tuned? I'm thinking maybe tuned like a baritone guitar?

I don't know how it was tuned. I don't have good enough ears to know that. I'm sure it was out of tune anyway.

The Big Kahuna
05-01-2013, 08:13 AM
I'm sure it was out of tune anyway.

Ah, it's a Ukulele then...

Bob Bledsoe
05-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Ah, it's a Ukulele then...

Mystery solved!

UncleMoon
05-01-2013, 08:51 AM
There as many ways to string/tune a CBG as there are way to make them. I built a couple 4 stringers, but the next ones will be 3 strings. Cigar Box Nation is a cool site with tons of resources, and is as friendly as this place is. You can check it out here. (http://www.cigarboxnation.com/)

gnordenstam
05-01-2013, 08:57 AM
I've built three 3-stringers on a 25" scale and one uke on a soprano scale. Here are two of the 3-string cigar box guitars and the Godiva Tin ukulele. These were Christmas presents for my kids. The pirate themed guitar has skull knobs on the tuning pegs.

Bob Bledsoe
05-01-2013, 06:19 PM
I've built three 3-stringers on a 25" scale and one uke on a soprano scale. Here are two of the 3-string cigar box guitars and the Godiva Tin ukulele. These were Christmas presents for my kids. The pirate themed guitar has skull knobs on the tuning pegs.

Those are really cool! Nice work... Okay, I'd say I've got my answer. It's a CBG. I'll keep playing it while I'm here. It's a fun instrument!

coolkayaker1
05-01-2013, 06:21 PM
You're funny, Bob.

Quit this show and be in my band. lol

Bob Bledsoe
05-01-2013, 06:28 PM
You're funny, Bob.

Quit this show and be in my band. lol

Thanks! The camera work made it though. I gave my phone to a camera guy to record it and he intuitively knew when to pan up to the sky. That's the benefit of having a TV crew around all the time.

coolkayaker1
05-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Good point about the camera.

I hope your movie and comedy career are going into orbit. You are ten times funnier than the "popular" comics out there now (think Louis CK, Louis Black, etc. Dane Cook has his moments). On camera, seriously, Sandler, Ferrell, Fey, they're all blowhards, There...I said it.

You, man, are killer funny. I'm not just smoking popes, here.

drbekken
05-02-2013, 12:57 AM
It's a cigar box balalaika. Pour the vodka.

Bob Bledsoe
05-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Good point about the camera.

I hope your movie and comedy career are going into orbit. You are ten times funnier than the "popular" comics out there now (think Louis CK, Louis Black, etc. Dane Cook has his moments). On camera, seriously, Sandler, Ferrell, Fey, they're all blowhards, There...I said it.

You, man, are killer funny. I'm not just smoking popes, here.

Aw thanks Cool! That's really nice of you to say. Glad you like my stuff... The career is going well right now since I'm working I guess. We'll see how long this lasts. This is a new reality show for the food network that I'm writing/producing and we don't know how many episodes they'll ultimately want us to shoot, so we're gonna get the first four shot and hope they order at least 9 more. If that happens, my career is going GREAT. ;-)
Thanks again for the kind words!

konut
05-02-2013, 05:13 AM
During the 1700s and 1800s 3-string basses were tuned in 5ths and sometimes had frets. Everything old is new again.

stevepetergal
05-02-2013, 06:41 AM
I thought it was a strum stick.

fumanshu
05-02-2013, 06:51 AM
I would call it a bass strum stick dulcimer!!!!

I have something similar but in normal range and not in the bass form....I might make a videoclip or soundclip...these kind of instruments sound good when amplified.....

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao

Bob Bledsoe
05-02-2013, 03:32 PM
I would call it a bass strum stick dulcimer!!!!

I have something similar but in normal range and not in the bass form....I might make a videoclip or soundclip...these kind of instruments sound good when amplified.....

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao

Yeah this one actually sounds really good. I'm sure it's great amplified. You should do a vid with yours.

Bob Bledsoe
05-02-2013, 03:34 PM
It's a cigar box balalaika. Pour the vodka.

A friend gave me his balalaika. I don't know what I'd ever do with it though so I left it at his house. I don't get having 3 strings with two of them tuned exactly the same... They look really cool though.

itsme
05-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Someday I'd like to own a cigar box uke. In my searches, I often come across these three-stringed things.

Bob Bledsoe
05-02-2013, 04:37 PM
It sounds really great and is easy to play even when you don't know what you're doing. I'm not into the aesthetic of a cigar box for a ukulele, but I think for this thing it's cool.