PDA

View Full Version : Have you won a ukulele?

joekulele
05-01-2013, 02:00 PM
I found out today that I was the lucky winner of the KoAloha May Day Tenor Giveaway on FB. :D I am blown away! This is actually the third ukulele I have won. First was a Uke Can Change the World Flea, second was a Kala Mighty Uke concert and today the KoAloha tenor. What ukes have other UUers won? I'd like to hear about them!
-joe

Lexxy
05-01-2013, 02:41 PM
I've won a KoAloha concert once! and also a Koa Pili Koko concert :) Wish I got the KoAloha tenor though.. Congrats on acquiring it!

remy26
05-01-2013, 02:45 PM
No ukuleles...yet.

I did win a Gibson Les Paul that paid for my Compass Rose though, and that was a win for me!

Almost forgot...congrats on your great luck!

ksiegel
05-01-2013, 02:47 PM
I won my first Ohana Vita Uke from Making Music Magazine. I didn't even recall entering the contest, and was going to dismiss the email as a scam, but when I checked the web site, there she was with my name and city.

So, congratulations on the Uke(s)!

I found out today that I was the lucky winner of the KoAloha May Day Tenor Giveaway on FB. :D I am blown away! This is actually the third ukulele I have won. First was a Uke Can Change the World Flea, second was a Kala Mighty Uke concert and today the KoAloha tenor. What ukes have other UUers won? I'd like to hear about them!
-joe

-Kurt

itsme
05-01-2013, 02:51 PM
You lucky dog, you! Congrats! :)

Actually, I've won two ukes. The one that got me started on ukes was a Cordoba Donavon Frankenreiter signature model mahogany tenor that I won in a drawing from a guitar store I've done business with. The other was a Mainland red cedar tenor I won during a UU Undies event. I do have others now, but for some reason, these two are probably my faves, or at least the ones I play the most often. :)

Tigeralum2001
05-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Dang! You need to go buy lottery tickets! I've never won a uke. I've won concert tickets from the radio once and I won a Wemo switch a few months ago at an industry conference (I entered probably 100 drawings. I must have lost 90 iPad minis!)

gitarzan
05-01-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm not a winner. I never win anything. :(

joekulele
05-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Great stories! And thank you for the congrats. I think I have a CUAS. Contest Uke Aquisition Syndrome!

joekulele
05-01-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm not a winner. I never win anything. :(
Never give up gitarzan!

Gadzukes!
05-01-2013, 07:03 PM
I won some ukes from Kala for their Design-A-Ukadelic contest (twice!).

kingsrider
05-01-2013, 07:12 PM
I won an Oscar Schmidt OU7T spalted maple from Ukulele Player Magazine about 2 years ago. You can see pictures of it here http://www.tricornpublications.com/issue9.pdf

iDavid
05-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Papa KoAloha gave my family a concert uke. He let me pick it out and then they blessed it. Fantastic day and great people.

Congrats on your win!

arpie
05-01-2013, 07:54 PM
WOW! How lucky are YOU?? Well done to all you uke winners!! But hey!! All uke owners are winners, aren't they? Blessed with the best little musical instrument that has been invented! :)

I won a kayak once ;) ...... not quite a ukulele, eh??

Ya gotta be in it to win it!! :o

cheers

Roberta

-Emma-
05-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Congratulations :D . I would love to win a uke!

myrnaukelele
05-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Congrats to you on winning your uke! I recently won a Schoenhut uke in Freeda's Knock-Off contest :)

experimentjon
05-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Congratulations on the new uke! No ukuleles won here, although I did win a bicycle when I was 7 or 8. That was awesome...learned how to ride on that bike...

mds725
05-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Congratulations on the new KoAloha tenor! Last November, I won a blue Sunshine brand tenor ukulele (aka the "bluekulele") at the Kapalakiko Hawaiian Music Band's annual funraiser luau in Newark CA. I've been eligible a couple of times to win a Kamaka tenor given away in a performers-only raffle at the Ukulele Festival of Northern California, but I didn't win. I try to think that I'm saving my big all-luck win for the Lottery or Powerball. :)

Rodney.
05-01-2013, 10:38 PM
I was looking for new strings when a fellow UU-member pm-ed me and said he was going to send them to me.
Won a warm feeling, can't beat that.

Fisherman
05-02-2013, 01:24 AM
What's your secret joekulele??! Amazing luck :) Happy for you!

-joe

aquadan
05-02-2013, 01:51 AM
I won a Koaloha longneck pineapple from HMS in their trivia contest. It's still my favorite.

mm stan
05-02-2013, 02:38 AM
I did call in first to get a uke.....and I did win some worth strings.... :)

chrimess
05-02-2013, 02:52 AM
Great stories! And thank you for the congrats. I think I have a CUAS. Contest Uke Aquisition Syndrome!

I certainl hope it is contagious-please PM me some DNA.

joekulele
05-02-2013, 03:33 AM
I was looking for new strings when a fellow UU-member pm-ed me and said he was going to send them to me.
Won a warm feeling, can't beat that.
No, you can't. UUer's are just that way.

joekulele
05-02-2013, 03:39 AM
What's your secret joekulele??! Amazing luck :) Happy for you!

The first two were essay contests, one on FMMBB and the other for Mighty Uke Movie on FB. This last one was just pure luck of the draw out of the hat. I'm not sure how to post videos on here, but if you search KoAloha May Day on YT you can see it.
-joe

pootsie
05-02-2013, 03:43 AM
I was pleased as punch to win an Anuenue Khaya II solid mahogany concert uke in the Ukulele-Tabs.com forum opening contest.

Love that uke!

But Arpie is right -- to uke is to win.

Tonya
05-02-2013, 05:31 AM
Not me, but a gentleman in our ukulele group, Ukuleles of Paradise, has attended four of the Reno Uke Fest events and, in the raffle, has won one of the "top" prize ukuleles three of those years. He doesn't buy a ton of raffle tickets either. This year he won the top third uke and another member of our club one the top second uke (a lovely, milk painted David Iriguchi gem named Queenie (http://iriguchiukuleles.com/portfolio-item/queenie-win-this-ukulele-at-the-reno-ukulele-festival/)). And we only had four members in attendance. Hence, if you want to win at Reno next year, better join our club ;)

UKISOCIETY
05-02-2013, 07:21 AM
I'd like to win a uke someday

glass
05-02-2013, 08:28 AM
I won a sopranino, a eddy finn and a sailor in a raffle. Also my daughter won a Tiwi Ukulele.

Nickie
05-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Luna concert and Kala Ubass

dhoenisch
05-02-2013, 10:54 AM
I've won a few eBay auctions... but somehow, they expect me to pay for the uke first :(

Congrats to you though!

Dan

ChaosToo
05-02-2013, 11:14 AM
I don't think I've ever won anything worth mentioning......ever........

OldePhart
05-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Until UWC 2011 I could honestly say I'd never won anything in my life. I won some strings and a uke hanger in the raffle. Then, last year I took first place in one of the seasons and won an egg shaker and a book (we'll omit the part about the winners being chosen by Dave throwing a knife at a board with the names on the back).

Win a ukulele? Yeah, as if! I'm the guy who always gets stuck with panty hose or a rap CD or something similarly useful in the annual office white-elephant gift exchange...

John

Tiki.time
05-02-2013, 03:31 PM
I won fiddy bucks on a scatch-off ticket.
Best I've done so far.:mad:

electrauke
05-02-2013, 04:54 PM
I recently won an awesome Orange Burst Dolphin right here on the forum. Nothing compared to a KoAloha, if I was exited that I won a dolphin, I can imagine how you feel :)

joekulele
05-02-2013, 07:55 PM
I recently won an awesome Orange Burst Dolphin right here on the forum. Nothing compared to a KoAloha, if I was exited that I won a dolphin, I can imagine how you feel :)

Haha!Let me tell you, I was holding my cell phone watching that video and my hands were SHAKING! Thanks for all the kind responses.
-joe

wayfarer75
05-03-2013, 02:09 AM
That's a pretty awesome win! I've entered some contests, but no luck yet. I'll keep trying!

redpaul1
05-03-2013, 02:27 AM
I won the very first Kala Mighty Ukulele. See me talking about it here:

http://youtu.be/yU-A09FGgco

Joe, I notice that you don't list your Mighty Uke on your signature - what have you done with it?

Dougf
05-03-2013, 03:38 AM
I won a Schoenhut soprano in Freeda's knockoff contest. I replaced the plastic fingerboard with one I made from manzanita, and gave it away as a prize in Season 57 of the ukulele. I'm considering giving away one of my homemade manzanita ukuleles as a contest prize, but I haven't yet made one good enough to give away. :)

joekulele
05-05-2013, 03:06 PM
I won the very first Kala Mighty Ukulele. See me talking about it here:

http://youtu.be/yU-A09FGgco

Joe, I notice that you don't list your Mighty Uke on your signature - what have you done with it?

Haha! I still have it, just too lazy to update my sig. I fixed it now. It's funny, another Mighty Uke winner lives just 20 minutes down the road from me, but I've never met him yet.

Nixon
05-06-2013, 12:21 PM
I was in the final 5 for Koyama's ukulele design contest. Didn't win though :(