Hi from the Blue Mountains

LovelyLexie

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I finally joined the forums, have been lurking for a bit, mostly searching for specific information, and decided it was time to actually join!

I'm Alex, I'm still a ukey baby. I've only had my uke for three months, but it has taken over my life!

I'm a proud mamber of the Blue Mountains Ukulele Group (I know there are a few of you here :) *waves*

I have a classically trained music background, but I love ALL MUSIC.

My particular point of interest is with the first half of the 20th century, tin pan alley, vaudeville, george formby, wartime, etc and I'm planning to buy a banjolele for that exact purpose in about 18 months (If I can hold out that long ;-)

Eventually I'd like to develop an act around that theme, but I know I have a long way to go!

I'm also a HUGE beatles fan. I have plenty of their songs in my collection.

I love just sitting in front of the TV strumming away, and I'm constantly looking for new tricks to learn.

I just cracked the George Formby Split Stroke and the Triple Stroke (but mastering is an entirely different kettle of fish!) I think I am probably driving the neighbours nuts... that reminds me I must add "Crazy Words, Crazy Tune" to my repertoire!

But I have discivered a little trick to stop annoying the neighbours, a uke mute... Simply a tissue threaded through the strings at thebridge... very high tech ;-)

My boys (8 & 10) who have been my roadies and BlueMugs percussionists now have ukes, so the uke mute will come in handy!!!!!

Well I look forward many more strums with you all :)

Hi Alex

Hmmm I thought I'd replied to this one yesterday ...... just forgot to post it!! Tried to a couple of minutes ago & lost it! DUH!

A big Welcome to UU!! You'll love it here - lots of info on all different styles of playing!! especially Formby Style - we have some VERY talented Formby players who give great tips! I can do all the bits individually - but just can't string it together in a song ..... yet! In my head, I can hear every tap & nuance - just can't transform it to my hands!!

Check out this 'search' - I would recommend you looking closely at Ukulelzaza's Painting the Clouds with Sunshine thread - I bought the CD and the TAB book & love it! He is the MASTER of formby style:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4656157

One day I'll get to the Blue Mountains Uke Festival ........ they are a very active mob & you'll just love playing with them. I am down on the coast!

cheers & happy Strummin'

Roberta

Hi Lexie, warm welcomes mate. Hope you continue to enjoy your uke journey and have a ball here with us while you're doing so. Cheers!

Welcome to UU!

Top Bottom