Humidity and solid wood ukuleles

-Emma-

Reaction score
Hi,
The hygrometer that I have in the case with my Kamaka HF-2 is showing that the humidity level is between 57-67% (minimum and maximum readings).

Because the maximum reading is only just above 65%, the point which HMS recommends dehumidifying , should I be using a dehumidifier with this range of humidity?

During the day when I've checked, the humidity always seems to stay at 67%.

I emailed HMS a few days ago but didn't receive a reply, so I'd appreciate your help :) .

I wouldn't rely too heavily on a single hygrometer since over dehumidifying can be disastrous as I'm sure you know. Get another digital one online or in a cigar shop. I have two plus another in my house so I can easily compare readings and see if any of them are way off. There should be some threads suggesting makers/ suppliers.

Thanks Kayak Jim :) .

Do you keep more than one hygrometer in the ukulele case? Or would you recommend having a 2nd hygrometer just in the room where the ukulele is kept?

Thanks Kayak Jim :) .

Do you keep more than one hygrometer in the ukulele case? Or would you recommend having a 2nd hygrometer just in the room where the ukulele is kept?

No Emma, just one in each of my two uke cases, but when I got the second I put them side to side on the table to see how closely they agreed (about 5% apart). Then I put them in the bathroom after a shower to check their agreement at another humidity level (about the same 5% difference). This gave me reasonable confidence that the readings change with changes in humidity too!

Jim B

...This gave me reasonable confidence that the readings change with changes in humidity too!

Jim B

That's important! I have one of those cases with a built-in hygrometer - I noticed that it didn't matter how many humidifiers I put in the case the dial never went above about 45% or below 40%. That didn't seem right so I got a digital one and found that the humidity in the case was closer to 65% when the dial read 45...

John

Top Bottom