Baritone tuned in perfect 4ths?

Tele295

Reaction score
Is there such a tuning for baritone uke - EADG, but an octave up from the 4 lowest strings on a guitar? If so, what strings are used?

It would take a special string set for sure. Ken Middleton has a Living Water custom baritone set for tuning GCEA but the gauges are actually the same as those of his low G tenor set. I'm guessing you could tune down that set on a baritone and have it work. But I haven't tried it.

Oh you can also get a perfect fourths tuning from a standard DGBE set by tuning up the top two string a semitone to get DGCF or you could tune down the bottom two strings to get C#F#BE

Oh you can also get a perfect fourths tuning from a standard DGBE set by tuning up the top two string a semitone to get DGCF or you could tune down the bottom two strings to get C#F#BE

Think the top 2 strings of a dgbe can be tuned all the way up to d and g?

I'd be very skeptical of that. My baritone is strung with a standard Living Water set and the tension on that top string is already pretty high. I kinda doubt it would twist up 3 more semitones. Another option would be to use either of the options in post #3 above and capo on either the 2nd or third fret to get the the low E.

Your request was to go an octave up from a guitars bottom 4 strings. That is only 2 semitones up for the standard D string on a baritone ukulele, 2 semitones up for the G, 3 semitones up for the B string and 3 semitones up for the E string.

You can easily take a standard baritone up one semitone. 3 would be pushing your luck.

Or as Jim stated, tune in 4ths but not so high.

Anthony

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand the advantage of tuning in 4ths.
Playing chords would require all new fingerings.

Or I could take a Low G linear set and tune it down. A heavier set might avoid floppiness

A v G
E v D
C v A
G v E

Yes, that was my suggestion back in post #2. I know Living Water has such a set but I think there are others for GCEA on a baritone.

Sorry Jim, I got sidetracked on tuning up. I felt like Isaac Newton when I thought about tuning down! That was good advice!

Top Bottom