Godin Multiuke got here.

jkevinwolfe

Reaction score
http://wolfewithane.com

Just got my tenor Multiuke Wednesday. It's the uke I've really been waiting for ever since I started playing. It's taken a few days to warm up to it, but I'm very happy (despite the big chunk it took out of my VISA card.)

Curious what others think of the concept of a uke that plays like an top-notch electric (feels like a Les Paul shrunk in the dyer) and that sounds like a high-end acoustic when plugged in. It's definitely a uke built for performing and recording like the Nylon Multiac guitar it was modeled after. It's a very different beast than any acoustic or electric uke I've played. Things I'm curious about:

Will it flop because uke players are just too attached to the acoustic format?

Being really unique, will it carve a niche for itself with players looking for a performance or studio uke?

In light of custom tenors and the Hawaiian K ukes selling for over $1000, is $750-850 still too much for a primo small-factory-made uke like this? (In my opinion the quality of design and build is definitely worth the cost.)

Thoughts?

image.jpg

Got a friend who plays a Godin guitar and they are phenomenal. A Godin Uke sounds a sweet idea. Video please?

It appears to sound at least as good as the Ko'olau CE-1 at half the price.

I saw the ones at HMS and they sound great. Godin has a good name.

I considered one, but I decided against the RAC saddle pickup. It's so unique, and online forums discuss issues with one string, for instance, in guitars, and with the entire technology being so different, I'd rather not deal with it if that ever happened. Too few can service it, and company that makes it for Godin is small.

It does not have a traditional, changeable bone saddle with under-saddle pickup for ease of future servicing. The KoOLau CE, for instance does use this setup. It uses LR Baggs special electronics (I have one, it sounds gorgeous).

I'm waiting to see the Pono tenor and baritone solid body (chambered body) ukes coming out this autumn. SHould be AWESOME!

But, the Godin is great looking and sounding. I'm going to predict that they'll be out of uke making in five years, but I could be wrong. They are so good at guitars (even then, though, with a rather limited market of zealous Godin fans).

Last edited:
Wow! How did I not know about these? I always wanted a Godin nylon guitar (this thing's big brother) but never got around to getting one. In my experience Godin guitars and basses are not glamorous and resale can be a little low sometimes but they are a good value - no reason the uke wouldn't be, too.

Corey's video is great - but he could play a railroad tie and make it sound good... :) (There's an April fool's day gag in that somewhere, I can feel it.)

John

Congrats on the new uke! I got to play the prototype at a guitar show recently and was VERY impressed. Godin really did their homework and made something that plays great, sounds fantastic plugged in, and is priced pretty well.

But I don't think folks who collect $3000+ custom ukes built to their own specs will go for this one. The Multiuke seems to be designed for live performers who want something that sounds good first and foremost. But there's no bling, exotic woods, or obscure options to speak of, and nobody is going to buy it solely for its (surprisingly good) acoustic sound, so fancy uke enthusiasts will be disappointed.

Still, if you plug in regularly, the Multiuke sounds better than even the best custom acoustic uke with a pickup does.

I own the mandolin version of this instrument. I have had it and played it for about 5 years. In general, it is seen as a bit "different" in the mando community, but whenever anyone asks for opinions on it, people come out of the woodwork to sing its praises. Great plugged in tone, very good playability. It is popular for studio work.

My guess is that the uke version will do pretty much all that an electric chambered body uke should be expected to do.

Wow!!!!! It's a very nice piece that you have there!!!!! I didn't know that Godin is making these ukes!!!!! For me, at that price, it's totally worth it!!!! Godin guiyars are very well built.....well I'm from Montreal and Godin factory is not far from where I am so here Godin is very respected!!!! So no it's not expensive compare to a Ko'olau and I'm quite sure it's as good if not even better than a Ko'olau electric uke!!

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao

Video coming soon.

CoolKayaker: so far the pickups sounds really well balanced.

John: They're really new. I got one if the first off the line.

Last edited:
John: They're really new. I got one if the first off the line.

Well...I suspect I'm going to get one of the soon off the line. :) Probably not until after UWC because I want to make sure I've got a little "play money" for that trip, but not long after my return, for reasonably sure.

Check out the HMS demo on their YT site- the juke records very clearly and has wonderful string separation.

Seems like a great buy. I wonder what the Pono will be priced at, but I think the Multiuke will have the better pick-up. I like the way it looks, I don't think it needs to look like a traditional uke. I wonder how the plugged in sound would compare to a Blackbird. I have a steal string uke by Monkey Wrench, but am looking for a Nylon string to record with and this one is VERY tempting.

This was the first I had heard of the multiuke. I've played a couple multiac nylon guitars, and they sound very nice to my ear. They aren't for everyone, but I would imagine that people who do a lot of recording and live performances this would be a perfect instrument. Corey makes it sound amazing on the youtube video. Congrats on the new uke!

I'm waiting to see the Pono tenor and baritone solid body (chambered body) ukes coming out this autumn. SHould be AWESOME!
Wait, what?!? Where did you hear that? :drool:

Top Bottom