PDA

View Full Version : [PHOTO] "The Art in Art"

advancedbasic
05-03-2013, 12:24 PM
I love photography and usually depict things pretty "as they are", but I decided to go super artistic for a change...

If you like my entry, I'd love your vote :)

Voting link: http://iframe.wizehive.com/voting/view/516ec858-60b8-43c8-a562-17510a20adfa/0/1271300/0

http://i.imgur.com/LL5usJA.jpg

Figured I'd add this into the OP:

Pretty picture. What is the story on this uke?

Back in December, a friend of mine had left his really nice Spruce-top Lanikai concert uke sitting in the main room of our house at college. I picked it up and started trying to figure out chords even though I've never played any instruments besides piano and some drums. It was oddly addicting even though I had no idea how to play so I decided over the holidays to get a relatively cheap uke and try to teach myself while home in sunny Florida far from the cold winter in Vermont where I go to school.

I actually didn't even know much about uke sizes while ordering my Kala KA-15S -- I thought my friend's Lanikai concert was a soprano and liked the size. To my surprise, when my instrument arrived it was much smaller than I expected! Instead of returning it, I did some research and found out that I was actually looking for a concert but that a soprano had its perks as well. I liked the smaller boxy sound (and dreaded the idea of waiting longer to start learning), so I kept it.

After a few months of playing my soprano, I started saving up and considering buying something solid-wood and nicer (also concert-sized) but still within my college student budget, so I settled on the ukulele in that picture -- a Kala KA-SMHC. I love it more than anything right now, but oddly enough even though I like some aspects of the concert size better, I miss the classic soprano sound.

When I got an email about the photo contest, I realized I haven't been doing as much photography as I used to given how busy I am at school, so last-minute I had an idea for a photo and submitted it hoping that maybe, by some small miracle, I'd win.

I composed the photo in such a way that one's eye is led up the sharp fretboard in an almost "beckoning" way, so the viewer might feel a little bit of what I felt the day I first picked up my friend's uke and was immediately drawn to the idea of learning how to play. I removed the "Kala" logo at the top since it seemed too distracting :P

The title is a little bit of a joke -- on my second History of Modern Art exam this semester we had to identify the title of a book written by the painter Kandinsky: "Concerning the ________ in Art". I had completely forgotten the real title, but I thought "The Art in Art" sounded both cryptic and ridiculous yet meaningful enough to have been written by a painter who did abstract painting. When I got back the exam and realized the real title was "Concerning the Spiritual in Art" I decided I still liked my wrong answer enough that I would need to give that title to something I create in the future. I had only a few minutes until the submission deadline and that anecdote popped into my head so I went with it :)

I think the first thing I'd do if I won would be giving my younger sister my old soprano and convincing her to learn how to play, because if she got even half the enjoyment that I did when I started playing, it would be successful.

Kmetzger
05-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Beautiful. Love it.

Doc_J
05-03-2013, 02:07 PM
I love photography and usually depict things pretty "as they are", but I decided to go super artistic for a change...

If you like my entry, I'd love your vote :)

Voting link: http://iframe.wizehive.com/voting/view/516ec858-60b8-43c8-a562-17510a20adfa/0/1271300/0

http://i.imgur.com/LL5usJA.jpg

fumanshu
05-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Nice nice picture!!! Good luck for the contest!!!

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao ....new duet.....

advancedbasic
05-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the support everyone! I don't usually do super artistic photography like this. This photo is actually the combination of 6 photos -- two sets of bracketed exposures for HDR where one set was done with a very low depth of field and the other was done with a high depth of field. By combining the two with a few masks in Photoshop I was able to maintain the sharpness across the fretboard while still leaving the body looking ghosty.

Back in December, a friend of mine had left his really nice Spruce-top Lanikai concert uke sitting in the main room of our house at college. I picked it up and started trying to figure out chords even though I've never played any instruments besides piano and some drums. It was oddly addicting even though I had no idea how to play so I decided over the holidays to get a relatively cheap uke and try to teach myself while home in sunny Florida far from the cold winter in Vermont where I go to school.

I actually didn't even know much about uke sizes while ordering my Kala KA-15S -- I thought my friend's Lanikai concert was a soprano and liked the size. To my surprise, when my instrument arrived it was much smaller than I expected! Instead of returning it, I did some research and found out that I was actually looking for a concert but that a soprano had its perks as well. I liked the smaller boxy sound (and dreaded the idea of waiting longer to start learning), so I kept it.

After a few months of playing my soprano, I started saving up and considering buying something solid-wood and nicer (also concert-sized) but still within my college student budget, so I settled on the ukulele in that picture -- a Kala KA-SMHC. I love it more than anything right now, but oddly enough even though I like some aspects of the concert size better, I miss the classic soprano sound.

When I got an email about the photo contest, I realized I haven't been doing as much photography as I used to given how busy I am at school, so last-minute I had an idea for a photo and submitted it hoping that maybe, by some small miracle, I'd win.

I composed the photo in such a way that one's eye is led up the sharp fretboard in an almost "beckoning" way, so the viewer might feel a little bit of what I felt the day I first picked up my friend's uke and was immediately drawn to the idea of learning how to play. I removed the "Kala" logo at the top since it seemed too distracting :P

The title is a little bit of a joke -- on my second History of Modern Art exam this semester we had to identify the title of a book written by the painter Kandinsky: "Concerning the ________ in Art". I had completely forgotten the real title, but I thought "The Art in Art" sounded both cryptic and ridiculous yet meaningful enough to have been written by a painter who did abstract painting. When I got back the exam and realized the real title was "Concerning the Spiritual in Art" I decided I still liked my wrong answer enough that I would need to give that title to something I create in the future. I had only a few minutes until the submission deadline and that anecdote popped into my head so I went with it :)

I think the first thing I'd do if I won would be giving my younger sister my old soprano and convincing her to learn how to play, because if she got even half the enjoyment that I did when I started playing, it would be successful.

mds725
05-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Very nice photo! Good luck in the contest!

Paul December
05-04-2013, 06:01 AM
:( OK ... Sour grapes here...
Let me do the math ...
You have 6 forum posts. The thread has 90 views. The voting has just started and you already have 250+ votes.
Your pic is nice enough, but come on now.
To be fair, you are not the only one. I thought this was a "Photo Contest"...
... Not a contest to see who has the most friends and family.

Dan Uke
05-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Let me do the math ...
You have 6 forum posts. The thread has 90 views. The voting has just started and you already have 250+ votes.

That's how it works and I don't think HMS minds as the ukulele and their website get exposure. There's been several posts for this contest as well as the prior. It's all good. Somehow he was exposued to HMS and UU and everyone starts from one post.

advancedbasic
05-04-2013, 06:33 AM
Let me do the math ...

Allow me to reply!

I have 6 posts because I joined a few weeks ago when an order I made from HMS was taking a very long time to ship and really wanted to ask a few questions. Additionally, I had been a lurker for a while and realized that I definitely like uke enough that I should be a part of this community for many other reasons than a shipping question. Everyone who joins an online community has to deal with being harassed for a low post count for a while. That's just how it works. I hope I'll be more active once my semester ends and I have more free time.

Yes, I am aggressively marketing the contest, my photo, and HMS because I really do want to win. I was happy with their service, so they deserve the business. Look at the #1 photo -- I don't think it's nearly as good as ever some other ones below it (not just mine), yet it has over 100 more votes. I hope that in the end, since I cannot keep up the level of "marketing" I'm doing now that stuff will balance out and the "best" photos will be ranked highest. For the record, though, I am happy with my photo! I hope the rest of the world agrees.

Paul December
05-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Allow me to reply!

I have 6 posts because I joined a few weeks ago when an order I made from HMS was taking a very long time to ship and really wanted to ask a few questions. Additionally, I had been a lurker for a while and realized that I definitely like uke enough that I should be a part of this community for many other reasons than a shipping question. Everyone who joins an online community has to deal with being harassed for a low post count for a while. That's just how it works. I hope I'll be more active once my semester ends and I have more free time.

Yes, I am aggressively marketing the contest, my photo, and HMS because I really do want to win. I was happy with their service, so they deserve the business. Look at the #1 photo -- I don't think it's nearly as good as ever some other ones below it (not just mine), yet it has over 100 more votes. I hope that in the end, since I cannot keep up the level of "marketing" I'm doing now that stuff will balance out and the "best" photos will be ranked highest. For the record, though, I am happy with my photo! I hope the rest of the world agrees.

I'm not complaining so much about you (you actually put effort in your pic) ...
... I'm disagreeing with calling it a "contest". They might as well had people send in pics of their toes.

advancedbasic
05-04-2013, 08:04 AM
... I'm disagreeing with calling it a "contest". They might as well had people send in pics of their toes.

Alright, I just wanted you to understand that I'm putting a lot of effort in general with advertising my link and asking people simply if they like my photo best to vote for it. Of course it helps being in college where there are lots of students with computers sitting around, but I'd imagine the real reason for this contest on their part is for the great advertising they get for the price of a Kamaka.

I am still a bit baffled with how the #1 photo has so many votes, and even more so how it seems to have a constant stream of 1-3 votes in regular intervals. Again, there are multiple other photos I think are better because they're more well-composed or simply more humorous. She must have friends with Twitter accounts that have thousands of followers or something.

Trinimon
05-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Or as I've noticed, if you clear your browsers cache and history, you can vote multiple time all day long. Can't fault HMS for any of the contest rules as it is listed as a popularity contest and not by merit or technicality of the images.

advancedbasic
05-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Or as I've noticed, if you clear your browsers cache and history, you can vote multiple time all day long. Can't fault HMS for any of the contest rules as it is listed as a popularity contest and not by merit or technicality of the images.

Wow that's disappointing. I'm pretty sure multi-voting is listed as against the rules though...

And yeah of course this is popularity-based -- that's probably the best for advertising purposes because you have an incentive to inform as many people as possible about the contest.

-Emma-
05-04-2013, 11:48 AM

On the HMS site it says "We are tracking IP address and registered users and reserve the right to delete any votes we find to be fraudulant", so hopefully if there is anything dodgy going on with voting (not implying there is with the "The Art in Art" photo), then fingers crossed that HMS are able to sort it out.

advancedbasic
05-04-2013, 11:53 AM
On the HMS site it says "We are tracking IP address and registered users and reserve the right to delete any votes we find to be fraudulant", so hopefully if there is anything dodgy going on with voting (not implying there is with the "The Art in Art" photo), then fingers crossed that HMS are able to sort it out.

Yeah I hope so too. I just hope that every voter who has voted for my photo hasn't attempted to multi-vote :(

-Emma-
05-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Yeah I hope so too. I just hope that every voter who has voted for my photo hasn't attempted to multi-vote :(

Hopefully if there are any multi-votes with any of the entries, the votes will be deleted. I hope all of your votes are genuine.

To put in a second vote after 24 hours has passed, have you had to do anything on your computer? It won't let me place a 2nd vote and I'm pretty sure that it has been more than 24 hours since I voted. It would have been easier if the rule for voting was once a day at any time, so you could vote at any point of time in each day instead of once every 24 hours.

I would have actually preferred for HMS to just choose the winner instead of using online voting, or perhaps they could have chosen their favourite top 10 entries, and then the winner could have been chosen by online votes.

advancedbasic
05-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Hopefully if there are any multi-votes with any of the entries, the votes will be deleted. I hope all of your votes are genuine.

To put in a second vote after 24 hours has passed, have you had to do anything on your computer? It won't let me place a 2nd vote and I'm pretty sure that it has been more than 24 hours since I voted. It would have been easier if the rule for voting was once a day at any time, so you could vote at any point of time in each day instead of once every 24 hours.

I would have actually preferred for HMS to just choose the winner instead of using online voting, or perhaps they could have chosen their favourite top 10 entries, and then the winner could have been chosen by online votes.

Yeah that's a tricky situation since now that I'm aware it's possible I'm going to start telling those I give my link to to not attempt to vote more than once a day but before today I just gave out my link and said to vote daily.

And no -- Approximately 24 hours after my first vote the vote button reappeared instead of the "Voted" with a checkmark. As long as it has been 24 hours I don't think there's anything wrong with clearing your cache/cookies and trying to see if it works then.

And the rules actually say that they have the right to determine how the contest is held (i.e. if there are private judges) but I think that's more of a general guidelines for any contest, and once they pick the judging method for any given contest that's how it's going to work for that one instance.

EDIT: Huh, looks like the number of votes for each image is hidden now?

-Emma-
05-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks advancedbasic, since 24 hour hours had passed I just tried a different browser. Maybe the competition isn't that Mac friendly.

That's weird that the vote count on each photo is hidden...maybe there has been some fraudulent voting and they are sorting it out.

advancedbasic
05-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks advancedbasic, since 24 hour hours had passed I just tried a different browser. Maybe the competition isn't that Mac friendly.

That's weird that the vote count on each photo is hidden...maybe there has been some fraudulent voting and they are sorting it out.

Or maybe they want to increase the suspense! Haha :P

AndrewKuker
05-04-2013, 03:11 PM

oh please

...maybe there has been some fraudulent voting and they are sorting it out.

Yes, I'm erasing fraudulent votes but in a few days I'll just start eliminating contestants that continue to not play by the rules.

Thanks to all who participated. We'll continue to improve our methods during these monthly contests.

-Emma-
05-04-2013, 03:29 PM
oh please

Yes, I'm erasing fraudulent votes but in a few days I'll just start eliminating contestants that continue to not play by the rules.

Thanks to all who participated. We'll continue to improve our methods during these monthly contests.

Thanks Andrew :) . It's a shame that there has been some fraudulent voting. Good to hear that you are sorting it out.

advancedbasic
05-04-2013, 03:35 PM
oh please

Alright, sounds good -- thanks for the hard work! Do you plan on making the number of votes visible again or leaving it the way it looks now?

Paul December
05-04-2013, 06:42 PM
oh please

:confused: Andrew, are you saying people are actually looking at pictures and basing their votes on that?
Sorry, but this just isn't a "Photo Contest". I like HMS, so will give you guys the benefit of doubt that you didn't plan for it to turn out this way.
That being said, I don't normally bother entering contests, and probably won't bother next time. I'm guessing others without a HUGE circle of friends will either.

Dan Uke
05-04-2013, 08:05 PM
:confused: Andrew, are you saying people are actually looking at pictures and basing their votes on that?
Sorry, but this just isn't a "Photo Contest". I like HMS, so will give you guys the benefit of doubt that you didn't plan for it to turn out this way.
That being said, I don't normally bother entering contests, and probably won't bother next time. I'm guessing others without a HUGE circle of friends will either.

oh please x2

Paul December
05-04-2013, 08:17 PM
oh please x2

How about you explain your response to me.

AndrewKuker
05-04-2013, 08:48 PM
The giveaways will not always be a public vote. But this one will be as fair as anything else in life. Support and determination are at the root of any success. Things will always be skewed towards those with more of it. But what's better, me choosing? Is my opinion supreme?

And you don't have to give us any benefit of the doubt, we know the perks of public voting along with it's fallacy. People can support us because of the effort we put forth to help them. This is just fun promotion. Not what we want to be known for.

advancedbasic
05-04-2013, 09:33 PM

It's just the nature of the beast (at least when it's a popular vote, and as Andrew and the contest guidelines say not all contests will be based on a popular vote).

Do I feel weird about advertising my trying to win this photo contest to everyone on Facebook and Twitter multiple times a day? Writing the shortcut I created to the voting link for my image in multiple places around campus? Sending it to not only my immediate family but my extended family? Hearing that any of these people passed it on somewhere else? The answer is definitely a little bit...

I'm doing all of this because even if I don't win, I had fun composing and editing the photo and am happy to have all of my family, friends, and even people multiple degrees away from me possibly get some enjoyment out of it whether they appreciate the fact it's ukulele-related or not. While the goal is to win, I don't think I'd not enter if I felt that my odds weren't great.

But for the record, popular votes do kinda suck -- I don't know if I've ever won a large-scale popular vote (or if what I'm doing now is enough). I might as well try though...

Dan Uke
05-04-2013, 11:58 PM

I tried to limit my response to oh please but I need 10 characters minimum so I put x2.

Paul December
05-05-2013, 06:45 AM
I guess I now know...
...no need in wasting my time with them in the future.

advancedbasic
05-05-2013, 07:25 AM
I guess I now know...
...no need in wasting my time with them in the future.

I mean just don't enter popular vote contests again if you feel so strongly that you don't have a chance. The contest guidelines (and Andrew) made it clear that they have the right to structure contests however they want and might do private voting with judges in the future. That being said, you have a really great image and shouldn't be so down on yourself...

Sporin
05-06-2013, 04:34 AM
I know HMS is doing everything it can to keep this as fair as possible. But it's a ukulele site, not Photography.com so naturally folks with large social networks are going to have an advantage... that is just the nature of the beast (the beast being pretty much any online contest).

I'm bugging my family and friends daily, though I know it's a long shot. :)

advancedbasic
05-06-2013, 08:46 AM
I know HMS is doing everything it can to keep this as fair as possible. But it's a ukulele site, not Photography.com so naturally folks with large social networks are going to have an advantage... that is just the nature of the beast (the beast being pretty much any online contest).

I'm bugging my family and friends daily, though I know it's a long shot. :)

I'm already getting some crap (half-jokingly) from friends for advertising the shortcut I created to my voting link on our school's online directory like crazy everywhere. My family is helping me out too, but now that the vote numbers are hidden I'm freaking out seeing other photos overtake each other and wondering how big the gaps are...

This is definitely not conducive to my final papers/projects/exams hahaha :P

Sporin
05-06-2013, 09:01 AM
I'm already getting some crap (half-jokingly) from friends for advertising the shortcut I created to my voting link on our school's online directory like crazy everywhere. My family is helping me out too, but now that the vote numbers are hidden I'm freaking out seeing other photos overtake each other and wondering how big the gaps are...

This is definitely not conducive to my final papers/projects/exams hahaha :P

Yeah, I know I'm testing the patience of my Facebook friends :) but this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance for me to own something I could never buy on my own. I have to take my shot!

Good luck!

missameeames
05-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Hmmm. I didn't enter the contest, and I went and looked at the pictures and voted for the ones I liked best. Is that weird of me?

The first day of voting, I was able to vote for multiple pictures. There were so many that I like, I just clicked "vote" on the ones I liked best. I must've voted on 10 different ones before it told me I had reached the maximum number of votes in one day. I missed a few days after that, but today I voted for my first and found I couldn't vote for anymore after that! Sigh, I would've been more picky with myvote if I had known. Oh well.

Good luck everyone!

-Emma-
05-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Hmmm. I didn't enter the contest, and I went and looked at the pictures and voted for the ones I liked best. Is that weird of me?

The first day of voting, I was able to vote for multiple pictures. There were so many that I like, I just clicked "vote" on the ones I liked best. I must've voted on 10 different ones before it told me I had reached the maximum number of votes in one day. I missed a few days after that, but today I voted for my first and found I couldn't vote for anymore after that! Sigh, I would've been more picky with myvote if I had known. Oh well.

Good luck everyone!

You can only vote once every 24 hours, so I think only your first vote would have counted and the other votes would have been deleted.

Sporin
05-07-2013, 03:42 AM
I go to the site, if it lets me vote, I vote, and it seems to be limited to twice every 24 hours just as it should be. No monkeying with cookies or anything like that (and I've asked my friends to do the same, no monkey-business).

I want klean kamaka kontest karma. :)

advancedbasic
05-07-2013, 04:37 AM
I go to the site, if it lets me vote, I vote, and it seems to be limited to twice every 24 hours just as it should be. No monkeying with cookies or anything like that (and I've asked my friends to do the same, no monkey-business).

I want klean kamaka kontest karma. :)

It should be once every 24 hours. They should (and probably will) delete duplicate votes from the same IP address that occurred less than 24 hours apart.

Sporin
05-07-2013, 04:46 AM
I know it was twice a day initially because my first couple of Facebook posts were direct copy and pastes from the rules page. I see that's not the case now. Things have certainly morphed since voting opened. I'm not complaining, but I want to be clear that I'm not trying to cheat here.

Like I said, no cache or IP monkey business from me but if I go to my Photo's page, and the vote button is live for me, I'm clicking it,...aren't you? Isn't everyone?

If HMS is deleting votes that are beyond the scope I certainly have no problem with that, and in fact, I encourage it.

advancedbasic
05-07-2013, 05:11 AM
I know it was twice a day initially because my first couple of Facebook posts were direct copy and pastes from the rules page. I see that's not the case now. Things have certainly morphed since voting opened. I'm not complaining, but I want to be clear that I'm not trying to cheat here.

Like I said, no cache or IP monkey business from me but if I go to my Photo's page, and the vote button is live for me, I'm clicking it,...aren't you? Isn't everyone?

If HMS is deleting votes that are beyond the scope I certainly have no problem with that, and in fact, I encourage it.

Oh no I wasn't suggesting that, just reiterating my understanding of the rules -- duplicate votes are deleted and repeat offenders are removed from the contest at the discretion of HMS. I started advertising that people can only vote ONCE per day to my family/friends/online etc. after the few messages from Andrew in this thread.

advancedbasic
05-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Ahh I'm neck and neck with the "Painted Uke" photo.

Keep voting guys =)

Bob-in-Alberta
05-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Or tighten up the race even more and vote for me:

http://iframe.wizehive.com/voting/view/516ec858-60b8-43c8-a562-17510a20adfa/14289/1242928/0

advancedbasic
05-08-2013, 07:41 PM
I must say, after less than a week my link has been to many online forums (some of which I'm not a part of so friends posted on my behalf), has been posted all over FB and Twitter (both by me to my own news feed and to groups I'm a part of and by my close friends who have put it on their own news feeds), has been spread to both my old high schools, posted all around my college campus, sent to my immediate and extended family (including other countries), and has been retweeted and posted by random people I've never met.

I remind as many of these people as possible to vote daily, and luckily, since it's finals, I can solicit a few quick votes in person at crowded locations like the library or otherwise via a friend of mine's Twitter account that has a lot of followers around the world if needed in a pinch.

Yet, somehow "Ukes make me Happy, Happy, Happy" is neck-and-neck with my photo! I applaud you, whoever you are -- I haven't ever in my life tried so hard to win a contest haha. I just hope I can make it another 9 days :wallbash: I feel like during my most difficult final exams when I stare off into space I'm going to start seeing ukes :biglaugh:

AndrewKuker
05-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Well keep in mind I haven't even erased many of your double votes from the first few days. Stupid software, I have to do this manually. But I just mention it to say, don't alienate your friends over this thing. I will make sure things are as fair as can be, so don't worry about that. But as crazy as you get there's bound to be somebody more crazy. Plan on that likely outcome. And don't clog UU with self serving requests of others. Thanks for your support and just contact me with any questions.

-Emma-
05-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Hi Andrew,
Have you got any idea of when the vote count will show again for each photo? Will you display the vote counts after you've deleted the dodgy votes?

advancedbasic
05-09-2013, 02:29 AM
Well keep in mind I haven't even erased many of your double votes from the first few days. Stupid software, I have to do this manually. But I just mention it to say, don't alienate your friends over this thing. I will make sure things are as fair as can be, so don't worry about that. But as crazy as you get there's bound to be somebody more crazy. Plan on that likely outcome. And don't clog UU with self serving requests of others. Thanks for your support and just contact me with any questions.

If you think this thread is clog, I apologize and you may delete it if you wish -- I think I saw one other thread before this by someone else so I didn't feel as bad about making my own. That and I wanted to give some background story since there wasn't a way to do that on the contest site.

Thanks for the hard work!

AndrewKuker
05-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Well it was fine for what it was, but to keep bumping it up and questioning the votes and pushing how much you want it.... Don't get me wrong. I appreciate your participation. Sorry if I was not tactful enough with my post. I appreciate any support we get. Just don't want to bomb it with constant agenda; backlash already