[PHOTO] "The Art in Art"

advancedbasic

Reaction score
I love photography and usually depict things pretty "as they are", but I decided to go super artistic for a change...

If you like my entry, I'd love your vote :)

Voting link: http://iframe.wizehive.com/voting/view/516ec858-60b8-43c8-a562-17510a20adfa/0/1271300/0

LL5usJA.jpg

Figured I'd add this into the OP:

Pretty picture. What is the story on this uke?

Back in December, a friend of mine had left his really nice Spruce-top Lanikai concert uke sitting in the main room of our house at college. I picked it up and started trying to figure out chords even though I've never played any instruments besides piano and some drums. It was oddly addicting even though I had no idea how to play so I decided over the holidays to get a relatively cheap uke and try to teach myself while home in sunny Florida far from the cold winter in Vermont where I go to school.

I actually didn't even know much about uke sizes while ordering my Kala KA-15S -- I thought my friend's Lanikai concert was a soprano and liked the size. To my surprise, when my instrument arrived it was much smaller than I expected! Instead of returning it, I did some research and found out that I was actually looking for a concert but that a soprano had its perks as well. I liked the smaller boxy sound (and dreaded the idea of waiting longer to start learning), so I kept it.

After a few months of playing my soprano, I started saving up and considering buying something solid-wood and nicer (also concert-sized) but still within my college student budget, so I settled on the ukulele in that picture -- a Kala KA-SMHC. I love it more than anything right now, but oddly enough even though I like some aspects of the concert size better, I miss the classic soprano sound.

When I got an email about the photo contest, I realized I haven't been doing as much photography as I used to given how busy I am at school, so last-minute I had an idea for a photo and submitted it hoping that maybe, by some small miracle, I'd win.

I composed the photo in such a way that one's eye is led up the sharp fretboard in an almost "beckoning" way, so the viewer might feel a little bit of what I felt the day I first picked up my friend's uke and was immediately drawn to the idea of learning how to play. I removed the "Kala" logo at the top since it seemed too distracting :p

The title is a little bit of a joke -- on my second History of Modern Art exam this semester we had to identify the title of a book written by the painter Kandinsky: "Concerning the ________ in Art". I had completely forgotten the real title, but I thought "The Art in Art" sounded both cryptic and ridiculous yet meaningful enough to have been written by a painter who did abstract painting. When I got back the exam and realized the real title was "Concerning the Spiritual in Art" I decided I still liked my wrong answer enough that I would need to give that title to something I create in the future. I had only a few minutes until the submission deadline and that anecdote popped into my head so I went with it :)

I think the first thing I'd do if I won would be giving my younger sister my old soprano and convincing her to learn how to play, because if she got even half the enjoyment that I did when I started playing, it would be successful.

Last edited:
Thanks for the support everyone! I don't usually do super artistic photography like this. This photo is actually the combination of 6 photos -- two sets of bracketed exposures for HDR where one set was done with a very low depth of field and the other was done with a high depth of field. By combining the two with a few masks in Photoshop I was able to maintain the sharpness across the fretboard while still leaving the body looking ghosty.

Pretty picture. What is the story on this uke?

Back in December, a friend of mine had left his really nice Spruce-top Lanikai concert uke sitting in the main room of our house at college. I picked it up and started trying to figure out chords even though I've never played any instruments besides piano and some drums. It was oddly addicting even though I had no idea how to play so I decided over the holidays to get a relatively cheap uke and try to teach myself while home in sunny Florida far from the cold winter in Vermont where I go to school.

I actually didn't even know much about uke sizes while ordering my Kala KA-15S -- I thought my friend's Lanikai concert was a soprano and liked the size. To my surprise, when my instrument arrived it was much smaller than I expected! Instead of returning it, I did some research and found out that I was actually looking for a concert but that a soprano had its perks as well. I liked the smaller boxy sound (and dreaded the idea of waiting longer to start learning), so I kept it.

After a few months of playing my soprano, I started saving up and considering buying something solid-wood and nicer (also concert-sized) but still within my college student budget, so I settled on the ukulele in that picture -- a Kala KA-SMHC. I love it more than anything right now, but oddly enough even though I like some aspects of the concert size better, I miss the classic soprano sound.

When I got an email about the photo contest, I realized I haven't been doing as much photography as I used to given how busy I am at school, so last-minute I had an idea for a photo and submitted it hoping that maybe, by some small miracle, I'd win.

I composed the photo in such a way that one's eye is led up the sharp fretboard in an almost "beckoning" way, so the viewer might feel a little bit of what I felt the day I first picked up my friend's uke and was immediately drawn to the idea of learning how to play. I removed the "Kala" logo at the top since it seemed too distracting :p

The title is a little bit of a joke -- on my second History of Modern Art exam this semester we had to identify the title of a book written by the painter Kandinsky: "Concerning the ________ in Art". I had completely forgotten the real title, but I thought "The Art in Art" sounded both cryptic and ridiculous yet meaningful enough to have been written by a painter who did abstract painting. When I got back the exam and realized the real title was "Concerning the Spiritual in Art" I decided I still liked my wrong answer enough that I would need to give that title to something I create in the future. I had only a few minutes until the submission deadline and that anecdote popped into my head so I went with it :)

I think the first thing I'd do if I won would be giving my younger sister my old soprano and convincing her to learn how to play, because if she got even half the enjoyment that I did when I started playing, it would be successful.

Last edited:
:( OK ... Sour grapes here...
Let me do the math ...
You have 6 forum posts. The thread has 90 views. The voting has just started and you already have 250+ votes.
Your pic is nice enough, but come on now.
To be fair, you are not the only one. I thought this was a "Photo Contest"...
... Not a contest to see who has the most friends and family.

Let me do the math ...
You have 6 forum posts. The thread has 90 views. The voting has just started and you already have 250+ votes.

That's how it works and I don't think HMS minds as the ukulele and their website get exposure. There's been several posts for this contest as well as the prior. It's all good. Somehow he was exposued to HMS and UU and everyone starts from one post.

Last edited:
Let me do the math ...

Allow me to reply!

I have 6 posts because I joined a few weeks ago when an order I made from HMS was taking a very long time to ship and really wanted to ask a few questions. Additionally, I had been a lurker for a while and realized that I definitely like uke enough that I should be a part of this community for many other reasons than a shipping question. Everyone who joins an online community has to deal with being harassed for a low post count for a while. That's just how it works. I hope I'll be more active once my semester ends and I have more free time.

Yes, I am aggressively marketing the contest, my photo, and HMS because I really do want to win. I was happy with their service, so they deserve the business. Look at the #1 photo -- I don't think it's nearly as good as ever some other ones below it (not just mine), yet it has over 100 more votes. I hope that in the end, since I cannot keep up the level of "marketing" I'm doing now that stuff will balance out and the "best" photos will be ranked highest. For the record, though, I am happy with my photo! I hope the rest of the world agrees.

Last edited:
Allow me to reply!

I have 6 posts because I joined a few weeks ago when an order I made from HMS was taking a very long time to ship and really wanted to ask a few questions. Additionally, I had been a lurker for a while and realized that I definitely like uke enough that I should be a part of this community for many other reasons than a shipping question. Everyone who joins an online community has to deal with being harassed for a low post count for a while. That's just how it works. I hope I'll be more active once my semester ends and I have more free time.

Yes, I am aggressively marketing the contest, my photo, and HMS because I really do want to win. I was happy with their service, so they deserve the business. Look at the #1 photo -- I don't think it's nearly as good as ever some other ones below it (not just mine), yet it has over 100 more votes. I hope that in the end, since I cannot keep up the level of "marketing" I'm doing now that stuff will balance out and the "best" photos will be ranked highest. For the record, though, I am happy with my photo! I hope the rest of the world agrees.

I'm not complaining so much about you (you actually put effort in your pic) ...
... I'm disagreeing with calling it a "contest". They might as well had people send in pics of their toes.

... I'm disagreeing with calling it a "contest". They might as well had people send in pics of their toes.

Alright, I just wanted you to understand that I'm putting a lot of effort in general with advertising my link and asking people simply if they like my photo best to vote for it. Of course it helps being in college where there are lots of students with computers sitting around, but I'd imagine the real reason for this contest on their part is for the great advertising they get for the price of a Kamaka.

I am still a bit baffled with how the #1 photo has so many votes, and even more so how it seems to have a constant stream of 1-3 votes in regular intervals. Again, there are multiple other photos I think are better because they're more well-composed or simply more humorous. She must have friends with Twitter accounts that have thousands of followers or something.

Or as I've noticed, if you clear your browsers cache and history, you can vote multiple time all day long. Can't fault HMS for any of the contest rules as it is listed as a popularity contest and not by merit or technicality of the images.

Or as I've noticed, if you clear your browsers cache and history, you can vote multiple time all day long. Can't fault HMS for any of the contest rules as it is listed as a popularity contest and not by merit or technicality of the images.

Wow that's disappointing. I'm pretty sure multi-voting is listed as against the rules though...

And yeah of course this is popularity-based -- that's probably the best for advertising purposes because you have an incentive to inform as many people as possible about the contest.

On the HMS site it says "We are tracking IP address and registered users and reserve the right to delete any votes we find to be fraudulant", so hopefully if there is anything dodgy going on with voting (not implying there is with the "The Art in Art" photo), then fingers crossed that HMS are able to sort it out.

On the HMS site it says "We are tracking IP address and registered users and reserve the right to delete any votes we find to be fraudulant", so hopefully if there is anything dodgy going on with voting (not implying there is with the "The Art in Art" photo), then fingers crossed that HMS are able to sort it out.

Yeah I hope so too. I just hope that every voter who has voted for my photo hasn't attempted to multi-vote :(

Yeah I hope so too. I just hope that every voter who has voted for my photo hasn't attempted to multi-vote :(

Hopefully if there are any multi-votes with any of the entries, the votes will be deleted. I hope all of your votes are genuine.

To put in a second vote after 24 hours has passed, have you had to do anything on your computer? It won't let me place a 2nd vote and I'm pretty sure that it has been more than 24 hours since I voted. It would have been easier if the rule for voting was once a day at any time, so you could vote at any point of time in each day instead of once every 24 hours.

I would have actually preferred for HMS to just choose the winner instead of using online voting, or perhaps they could have chosen their favourite top 10 entries, and then the winner could have been chosen by online votes.

Hopefully if there are any multi-votes with any of the entries, the votes will be deleted. I hope all of your votes are genuine.

To put in a second vote after 24 hours has passed, have you had to do anything on your computer? It won't let me place a 2nd vote and I'm pretty sure that it has been more than 24 hours since I voted. It would have been easier if the rule for voting was once a day at any time, so you could vote at any point of time in each day instead of once every 24 hours.

I would have actually preferred for HMS to just choose the winner instead of using online voting, or perhaps they could have chosen their favourite top 10 entries, and then the winner could have been chosen by online votes.

Yeah that's a tricky situation since now that I'm aware it's possible I'm going to start telling those I give my link to to not attempt to vote more than once a day but before today I just gave out my link and said to vote daily.

And no -- Approximately 24 hours after my first vote the vote button reappeared instead of the "Voted" with a checkmark. As long as it has been 24 hours I don't think there's anything wrong with clearing your cache/cookies and trying to see if it works then.

And the rules actually say that they have the right to determine how the contest is held (i.e. if there are private judges) but I think that's more of a general guidelines for any contest, and once they pick the judging method for any given contest that's how it's going to work for that one instance.

EDIT: Huh, looks like the number of votes for each image is hidden now?

Last edited:
Thanks advancedbasic, since 24 hour hours had passed I just tried a different browser. Maybe the competition isn't that Mac friendly.

That's weird that the vote count on each photo is hidden...maybe there has been some fraudulent voting and they are sorting it out.

Thanks advancedbasic, since 24 hour hours had passed I just tried a different browser. Maybe the competition isn't that Mac friendly.

That's weird that the vote count on each photo is hidden...maybe there has been some fraudulent voting and they are sorting it out.

Or maybe they want to increase the suspense! Haha :p

oh please

...maybe there has been some fraudulent voting and they are sorting it out.

Yes, I'm erasing fraudulent votes but in a few days I'll just start eliminating contestants that continue to not play by the rules.

Thanks to all who participated. We'll continue to improve our methods during these monthly contests.

Top Bottom