Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Black Acacia

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • None of these

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters

Doc_J

Reaction score
I'm in the process of selecting wood sets. Wanted to see what folks thought of these woods. Which do you prefer.

Here are the wood sets in the following photo:
Curly Maple, quilted Big Leaf Maple, Black Walnut, Black Walnut
attachment.php

Here is the second set of woods for the following picture:
English Walnut, Osage orange, Sinker Lapacho, Black Acacia
attachment.php

Had to add a more detailed picture of the sinker Lapacho wood, very interesting grain patterns.
attachment.php

Detail of the Quilted Big Leaf Maple
attachment.php

Last edited:
I like the looks of the English Walnut and the sinker Lapacho.

English Walnut, Quilted Maple, Orange Osage. Voted for the English Walnut.

are they all sold? I would ask for a sound sample first and decide
Unfortunately they're all sold. I'm in the next build batch. Some have spruce tops , others cedar. So sound samples might not help much.

I appreciate the comments, everyone. The English Walnut might be my favorite, but the Lapacho and black Walnut are also in my top 3. The Quilted Big Leaf Maple is gorgeous but I'm afraid it might make the sound a little too bright for me.

Another vote for the black walnut.

Going to be one handsome uke, Doc. I'm excited for you.

hey Doc! I never heard about Moodyville uke, do you have any experience with them? As you probably I'm curious when it comes to nice ukes like these!!! They sure looks good!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao

I haven't had any experience with Moodyville, but I have done some research on the luthier, Shelley D. Park. She has a good reputation for her Gypsy jazz guitars. Folks in Japan have been buying many of ukes. So, it's a bit of uncertainty and trust for me. I'll keep you posted on mine.

It's Black Walnut for me, no question.:D

I've always been a sucker for black walnut...

John

Shelley D. Park, Luthier

I haven't had any experience with Moodyville, but I have done some research on the luthier, Shelley D. Park. She has a good reputation for her Gypsy jazz guitars. Folks in Japan have been buying many of ukes. So, it's a bit of uncertainty and trust for me. I'll keep you posted on mine.

I have played a couple of Shelley D. Park's Moodyville ukuleles at Bluedog Guitars in North Vancouver, which is really close to Ms Park's workshop. I tried a Gypsy Jazz tenor and a more traditional shaped tenor.

The workmanship (workwomanship ?) and sound were great, they just didn't sing to me, so I do not own one. They were in an almost raw satin finish, with very little bling, and light as a feather (I believe good photos are still available on the Bluedog Guitars website and facebook page).

However, my wife owns a Shelley D. Park acoustic guitar, "The Fallen Vega", which is just amazing in both build and sound quality. It is her favourite guitar, and trust me, she tried a lot of others before settling on this one. Good luck with your build.

Sinker Lapacho Wood

I have played a couple of Shelley D. Park's Moodyville ukuleles at Bluedog Guitars in North Vancouver, which is really close to Ms Park's workshop. I tried a Gypsy Jazz tenor and a more traditional shaped tenor.

The workmanship (workwomanship ?) and sound were great, they just didn't sing to me, so I do not own one. They were in an almost raw satin finish, with very little bling, and light as a feather (I believe good photos are still available on the Bluedog Guitars website and facebook page).

However, my wife owns a Shelley D. Park acoustic guitar, "The Fallen Vega", which is just amazing in both build and sound quality. It is her favourite guitar, and trust me, she tried a lot of others before settling on this one. Good luck with your build.

Thanks for your thoughts...I wonder if she does gloss as I don't like satin for custom ukes...just me.

Thanks for your thoughts...I wonder if she does gloss as I don't like satin for custom ukes...just me.

Yes, Shelley does a gloss as well as a satin finish. French polish is also available.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience!!! It's really appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/star-filante-by-caro-bao

Top Bottom