Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai

very nice.

now you need a dancer to complete it :)

joel

very nice.

now you need a dancer to complete it :)

joel

Thanks. I 've had my 9 year old daughter watching the instructional video on youtube for the hula that goes with this song, but progress has been slow. She has a pa'u skirt already, so if she ever learns the dance, we'll have to do this song again. :)

Last edited:
Very nice sound to that Pono. Really enjoyed the picking!! Must be nice to have a new 'baby' in the house. Congrats on the cool gift. May want to slow down the tempo a bit for your daughter, or her hips might fly off, haha!!

Thanks. I 've had my 9 year old daughter watching the instructional video on youtube for the hula that goes with this song, but progress has been slow. She has a pa'u skirt already, so if she ever learns the dance, we'll have to do this song again. :)

Cool job D! Looking forward to the next version w/ your daughter :D

Just a FYI for anyone interested. Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai (Plants of the Sea) was composed by Edith Kanaka`ole. Translated it talks about the various seaweeds that Hawaiians harvest from the seashore for food, moreso the lipoa and limu kohu. This mele is also danced by many of the Hula Halaus and played at different tempos. Normally, it's played with a lively beat. Befo I fo'get, nice job on da cava.

He ho`oheno kê `ike aku
Ke kai moana nui lâ
Nui ke aloha e hi`ipoi nei
Me ke `ala o ka lîpoa

He lîpoa i pae i ke one
Ke one hinuhinu lâ
Wela i ka lâ kê hehi a`e
Mai mana`o he pono kêia

Ho`okohukohu e ka limu kohu
Ke kau i luna ô nâ moku la
`O ia moku `ula la e hô
`Oni ana i `ôi `ane`i