I need a beginner Uke from the UK.

stokietom1

Reaction score
I recently purchased a VERY cheap Uke online (£20) just something to mess around on, but it turns out I really enjoy playing and I've learned a lot thanks to the UU videos.

I now want to purchase a good Uke but I have NO idea what to go for. I live in the UK so something from a UK retailer would be ideal.

I looked in my local music shop which has the following:

Ashton UKE200SP Soprano Ukulele - £50
Ashton UKE240MH Concert Ukulele - £60
Ashton UKE240SP Concert Ukulele - £75

Are any of those any good?

I have a maximum budget of £100 and I really have no idea what to go for!

Cheers

I recently purchased a VERY cheap Uke online (£20) just something to mess around on, but it turns out I really enjoy playing and I've learned a lot thanks to the UU videos.

I now want to purchase a good Uke but I have NO idea what to go for. I live in the UK so something from a UK retailer would be ideal.

Cheers

Never tried an Ashton but I would definitely recommend one of these.

http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Product/618/S-U-S-Concert-Ukulele-ALL-SOLID-MAHOGANY-only-£80

Or http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/soprano-ukuleles/Ohana-SK20-S-Soprano-Ukulele.htm

Last edited:

Cheers

Also what size uke did you buy to start with ( are you happy with that size ) do you know what the difference is between Soprano, Concert, Tenor, Baritone ?

Also what size uke did you buy to start with ( are you happy with that size ) do you know what the difference is between Soprano, Concert, Tenor, Baritone ?

The cheap one I have is a Soprano. From what I've read their is size differences and the Baritone is tuned differently I think.

I did feel it was a bit on the small size but ofcourse it's a Uke and this is how they're meant to be. :D

Those you linked me look very nice although I have no idea which one I should go for!

Cheers. :)

i started with a makala soprano great little uke for price, then i went for a tanglewood concert, still got both ukes, enjoy both of them for different reasons,

your choice of uke should be down to the sound you like, each uke offers a different sound so its down to personel choice, there are websites with sound bites of ukes,

take your time and try as many ukes as you can, happy hunting enjoy

The cheap one I have is a Soprano. From what I've read their is size differences and the Baritone is tuned differently I think.

I did feel it was a bit on the small size but ofcourse it's a Uke and this is how they're meant to be. :D

Those you linked me look very nice although I have no idea which one I should go for!

Cheers. :)

The main thing you should be looking for is a solid wood model. The Ashton ones you mentioned are probaly made out of plywood laminate. You get a much better sound with a cheap solid. Although you can get some expensive laminate ones which sound very good. If I was you go into your local store not to buy one but to see if you prefer a concert size.
Another thing to do is to find reviews of the ones I linked you too. Then look at all the online stores you can find and look around there stores for ukes around your budget. Then go on you tube and look for reviews. Find as many as you can that is half the fun with ukuleles always looking for your next uke.

i started with a makala soprano great little uke for price, then i went for a tanglewood concert, still got both ukes, enjoy both of them for different reasons,

your choice of uke should be down to the sound you like, each uke offers a different sound so its down to personel choice, there are websites with sound bites of ukes,

take your time and try as many ukes as you can, happy hunting enjoy

makala soprano has very good reviews on Amazon and it's only £30 aswell. I'm very tempted.

The one I have at the moment has very plasticky strings and they sometimes rattle and vibrate. I have tuned the uke the best I can though.

Anymore suggestions would be great. :)

makala soprano has very good reviews on Amazon and it's only £30 aswell. I'm very tempted.

The one I have at the moment has very plasticky strings and they sometimes rattle and vibrate. I have tuned the uke the best I can though.

Anymore suggestions would be great. :)

Most cheap ukes come with dreadful strings. Changing strings can make a big difference and they're not expensive.

There's plenty of advice on here about strings but you won't go far wrong if you replace your stock strings with Aquila. You can get them from Amazon or SUS.

Ashton ukes seem OK as inexpensive ukes. I know someone who has one and she's happy with it. If they sound OK to you, then go for it.

That concert from SUS for £80,- looks like a great deal.

That concert from SUS for £80,- looks like a great deal.

So you think that may be the best one I can get with the budget?

Would the strings need changing aswell? I can't say I'd feel comfortable doing that on a brand new Uke, maybe if I called the shop and asked them to put better strings on they'd do it for an extra fee.

Cheers

You can get the Aria concert (that the SUS one is a copy of/made by the same factory as) from Clifford Essex Music - complete with a decent hard case and fully setup (with their own strings) for £110 delivered. The case and the setup are worth the extra money IMHO, although I'm sure SUS will sell you a case and setup the uke for you too.......but factor that into the price.

It's a great uke and, for me, probably my favourite size. Let us know how you get on :D

So you think that may be the best one I can get with the budget?

Would the strings need changing aswell? I can't say I'd feel comfortable doing that on a brand new Uke, maybe if I called the shop and asked them to put better strings on they'd do it for an extra fee.

Cheers

Changing strings isn't difficult, though it can seem a little daunting at first. There are plenty of tutorials on You Tube and also web pages that explain how to do it.

I reckon the SUS uke is a good bet. Check with them about set up. I've found them helpful on the phone in the past. You could ask about strings at the same time. As others say, GHS strings aren't all that good.

Last edited:
sus are a wonderful shop, but i am pretty certain they dont do set ups, i agree with the person that said try and get to a uke shop and try as many as you can, to find the one you like the sound of and feels comfortable to play, good luck with you purchase and keep us informed, have you considered a bruko ? they have a very distinct sound all of their own but a beautifully built solid uke made in a small family business, but they be slightly over your budget, ialso love ohanas,but thats a personal choice :)

You can get the Aria concert (that the SUS one is a copy of/made by the same factory as) from Clifford Essex Music - complete with a decent hard case and fully setup (with their own strings) for £110 delivered. The case and the setup are worth the extra money IMHO, although I'm sure SUS will sell you a case and setup the uke for you too.......but factor that into the price.

It's a great uke and, for me, probably my favourite size. Let us know how you get on :D

Where can I find a link for this? :)

I'm not in a mad rush to get one, as the cheap one I have is doing the job for now in terms of learning and I can stretch the budget over £100 if needed, I just didn't want to spend a large amount at the moment as I'm still testing the waters (but absolutely loving it so far, just signed up for the Uke Underground lessons as well.)

I live in Stoke On Trent and sadly I don't think their are any Uke stores around here. :(

Cheers

This one?:

Soprano Ukulele Kala Exotic Mahogany KA-SEM Ref: Ukulele KA-SEM

It looks really nice and the price seems very good to. What does 'set up' actually consist of? It being tuned?

Cheers

That one yes. Paul Walker send me the workshop rules last year, this is what they do with their setup:

Instrument Check
Ukulele

Preliminary checks on a new or second hand Instrument.

Finish
Check for woodwork blemishes eg, under the finish the wood may be cracked or filled
Check for Hardware blemishes eg poor plating or plating coming off
Check for actual finish blemishes eg, shiny bits on matt finishes, small dings

Neck angle
check enough bridge saddle height is present above bridge when string height
is set at correct distance above fingerboard.

Neck relief (straightness of neck)

Bridge glued on properly

Linings glued on properly and neat

Struts Tap on top and back for loose

Top Use wooden straight to check for top lifting on bridge area

If Passed, instrument to Workshop.

Fretting level frets if necessary, crown and re-finish.

Saddle height adjust as necessary for specific tuning (high or low G), re-finish

Top nut adjust heights and slotting for specific tunings (high or low G), re-finish.

Fingerboard Oil and make smooth if necessary

Bridge Adjust saddle slot height, oil if necessary.

Playing Bring up to pitch and check for playability and sound quality
(minimum requirement no fret buzz)

Finally Inspect finish againInstrument Check
Ukulele

Preliminary checks on a new or second hand Instrument.

Finish
Check for woodwork blemishes eg, under the finish the wood may be cracked or filled
Check for Hardware blemishes eg poor plating or plating coming off
Check for actual finish blemishes eg, shiny bits on matt finishes, small dings

Neck angle
check enough bridge saddle height is present above bridge when string height
is set at correct distance above fingerboard.

Neck relief (straightness of neck)

Bridge glued on properly

Linings glued on properly and neat

Struts Tap on top and back for loose

Top Use wooden straight to check for top lifting on bridge area

If Passed, instrument to Workshop.

Fretting level frets if necessary, crown and re-finish.

Saddle height adjust as necessary for specific tuning (high or low G), re-finish

Top nut adjust heights and slotting for specific tunings (high or low G), re-finish.

Fingerboard Oil and make smooth if necessary

Bridge Adjust saddle slot height, oil if necessary.

Playing Bring up to pitch and check for playability and sound quality
(minimum requirement no fret buzz)

Finally Inspect finish again

Last edited:
Top Bottom