PDA

View Full Version : I need a beginner Uke from the UK.

stokietom1
05-04-2013, 10:40 AM
I recently purchased a VERY cheap Uke online (20) just something to mess around on, but it turns out I really enjoy playing and I've learned a lot thanks to the UU videos.

I now want to purchase a good Uke but I have NO idea what to go for. I live in the UK so something from a UK retailer would be ideal.

I looked in my local music shop which has the following:

Ashton UKE200SP Soprano Ukulele - 50
Ashton UKE240MH Concert Ukulele - 60
Ashton UKE240SP Concert Ukulele - 75

Are any of those any good?

I have a maximum budget of 100 and I really have no idea what to go for!

Cheers

philrab66
05-04-2013, 10:50 AM
I recently purchased a VERY cheap Uke online (20) just something to mess around on, but it turns out I really enjoy playing and I've learned a lot thanks to the UU videos.

I now want to purchase a good Uke but I have NO idea what to go for. I live in the UK so something from a UK retailer would be ideal.

Cheers

Never tried an Ashton but I would definitely recommend one of these.

http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Product/618/S-U-S-Concert-Ukulele-ALL-SOLID-MAHOGANY-only-%C2%A380

Or http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/soprano-ukuleles/Ohana-SK20-S-Soprano-Ukulele.htm

philrab66
05-04-2013, 11:01 AM

Cheers

Also what size uke did you buy to start with ( are you happy with that size ) do you know what the difference is between Soprano, Concert, Tenor, Baritone ?

stokietom1
05-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Also what size uke did you buy to start with ( are you happy with that size ) do you know what the difference is between Soprano, Concert, Tenor, Baritone ?

The cheap one I have is a Soprano. From what I've read their is size differences and the Baritone is tuned differently I think.

I did feel it was a bit on the small size but ofcourse it's a Uke and this is how they're meant to be. :D

Those you linked me look very nice although I have no idea which one I should go for!

Cheers. :)

wallyboy
05-04-2013, 11:27 AM
i started with a makala soprano great little uke for price, then i went for a tanglewood concert, still got both ukes, enjoy both of them for different reasons,

your choice of uke should be down to the sound you like, each uke offers a different sound so its down to personel choice, there are websites with sound bites of ukes,

take your time and try as many ukes as you can, happy hunting enjoy

philrab66
05-04-2013, 11:32 AM
The cheap one I have is a Soprano. From what I've read their is size differences and the Baritone is tuned differently I think.

I did feel it was a bit on the small size but ofcourse it's a Uke and this is how they're meant to be. :D

Those you linked me look very nice although I have no idea which one I should go for!

Cheers. :)

The main thing you should be looking for is a solid wood model. The Ashton ones you mentioned are probaly made out of plywood laminate. You get a much better sound with a cheap solid. Although you can get some expensive laminate ones which sound very good. If I was you go into your local store not to buy one but to see if you prefer a concert size.
Another thing to do is to find reviews of the ones I linked you too. Then look at all the online stores you can find and look around there stores for ukes around your budget. Then go on you tube and look for reviews. Find as many as you can that is half the fun with ukuleles always looking for your next uke.

stokietom1
05-04-2013, 11:32 AM
i started with a makala soprano great little uke for price, then i went for a tanglewood concert, still got both ukes, enjoy both of them for different reasons,

your choice of uke should be down to the sound you like, each uke offers a different sound so its down to personel choice, there are websites with sound bites of ukes,

take your time and try as many ukes as you can, happy hunting enjoy

makala soprano has very good reviews on Amazon and it's only 30 aswell. I'm very tempted.

The one I have at the moment has very plasticky strings and they sometimes rattle and vibrate. I have tuned the uke the best I can though.

Anymore suggestions would be great. :)

Kevs-the-name
05-04-2013, 12:27 PM
For a beginner soprano lots of people recommend a Dolphin
http://www.gamlinsmusic.co.uk/musical-instruments/ukuleles/soprano-ukuleles/item/mk-srd-soprano-ukulele-red-362/
I purchased 2 from here (4 ukes in total) great seller!

I DO consider a string upgrade as vital though (Aquila)
otherwise, I purchased my Lanikai LU-21C concert as a first uke from Gamlins (and still consider it my favourite)

Tootler
05-04-2013, 12:34 PM
makala soprano has very good reviews on Amazon and it's only 30 aswell. I'm very tempted.

The one I have at the moment has very plasticky strings and they sometimes rattle and vibrate. I have tuned the uke the best I can though.

Anymore suggestions would be great. :)

Most cheap ukes come with dreadful strings. Changing strings can make a big difference and they're not expensive.

There's plenty of advice on here about strings but you won't go far wrong if you replace your stock strings with Aquila. You can get them from Amazon or SUS.

Ashton ukes seem OK as inexpensive ukes. I know someone who has one and she's happy with it. If they sound OK to you, then go for it.

we tigers
05-04-2013, 12:38 PM
That concert from SUS for 80,- looks like a great deal.

stokietom1
05-04-2013, 02:06 PM
That concert from SUS for 80,- looks like a great deal.

So you think that may be the best one I can get with the budget?

Would the strings need changing aswell? I can't say I'd feel comfortable doing that on a brand new Uke, maybe if I called the shop and asked them to put better strings on they'd do it for an extra fee.

Cheers

Kestrel
05-04-2013, 02:53 PM
The strings on it will be fine for you IMO

philrab66
05-04-2013, 03:14 PM

Would the strings need changing aswell? I can't say I'd feel comfortable doing that on a brand new Uke, maybe if I called the shop and asked them to put better strings on they'd do it for an extra fee.

Cheers

I would ask them to change them they have cheap GHS strings ask them to put some of these on http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Product/244/Aquila-Nylgut-Concert-Ukulele-Strings

ChaosToo
05-04-2013, 11:04 PM
You can get the Aria concert (that the SUS one is a copy of/made by the same factory as) from Clifford Essex Music - complete with a decent hard case and fully setup (with their own strings) for 110 delivered. The case and the setup are worth the extra money IMHO, although I'm sure SUS will sell you a case and setup the uke for you too.......but factor that into the price.

It's a great uke and, for me, probably my favourite size. Let us know how you get on :D

Tootler
05-04-2013, 11:22 PM

Cheers

Changing strings isn't difficult, though it can seem a little daunting at first. There are plenty of tutorials on You Tube and also web pages that explain how to do it.

I reckon the SUS uke is a good bet. Check with them about set up. I've found them helpful on the phone in the past. You could ask about strings at the same time. As others say, GHS strings aren't all that good.

ukuleledaveey
05-04-2013, 11:56 PM
sus are a wonderful shop, but i am pretty certain they dont do set ups, i agree with the person that said try and get to a uke shop and try as many as you can, to find the one you like the sound of and feels comfortable to play, good luck with you purchase and keep us informed, have you considered a bruko ? they have a very distinct sound all of their own but a beautifully built solid uke made in a small family business, but they be slightly over your budget, ialso love ohanas,but thats a personal choice :)

stokietom1
05-05-2013, 12:05 AM
You can get the Aria concert (that the SUS one is a copy of/made by the same factory as) from Clifford Essex Music - complete with a decent hard case and fully setup (with their own strings) for 110 delivered. The case and the setup are worth the extra money IMHO, although I'm sure SUS will sell you a case and setup the uke for you too.......but factor that into the price.

It's a great uke and, for me, probably my favourite size. Let us know how you get on :D

Where can I find a link for this? :)

I'm not in a mad rush to get one, as the cheap one I have is doing the job for now in terms of learning and I can stretch the budget over 100 if needed, I just didn't want to spend a large amount at the moment as I'm still testing the waters (but absolutely loving it so far, just signed up for the Uke Underground lessons as well.)

I live in Stoke On Trent and sadly I don't think their are any Uke stores around here. :(

Cheers

Rodney.
05-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Contact Courtney and Walker, they are very pleasant to deal with, and have a really nice Kala KA-SEM for 65GBP (uk mainland delivery, aquila strings and setup included).

http://www.courtneyandwalker.co.uk/acatalog/Soprano_Ukuleles.html

stokietom1
05-05-2013, 01:53 AM
Contact Courtney and Walker, they are very pleasant to deal with, and have a really nice Kala KA-SEM for 65GBP (uk mainland delivery, aquila strings and setup included).

http://www.courtneyandwalker.co.uk/acatalog/Soprano_Ukuleles.html

This one?:

Soprano Ukulele Kala Exotic Mahogany KA-SEM Ref: Ukulele KA-SEM

It looks really nice and the price seems very good to. What does 'set up' actually consist of? It being tuned?

Cheers

Rodney.
05-05-2013, 02:08 AM
This one?:

Soprano Ukulele Kala Exotic Mahogany KA-SEM Ref: Ukulele KA-SEM

It looks really nice and the price seems very good to. What does 'set up' actually consist of? It being tuned?

Cheers

That one yes. Paul Walker send me the workshop rules last year, this is what they do with their setup:

Instrument Check
Ukulele

Preliminary checks on a new or second hand Instrument.

Finish
Check for woodwork blemishes eg, under the finish the wood may be cracked or filled
Check for Hardware blemishes eg poor plating or plating coming off
Check for actual finish blemishes eg, shiny bits on matt finishes, small dings

Neck angle
check enough bridge saddle height is present above bridge when string height
is set at correct distance above fingerboard.

Neck relief (straightness of neck)

Bridge glued on properly

Linings glued on properly and neat

Struts Tap on top and back for loose

Top Use wooden straight to check for top lifting on bridge area

If Passed, instrument to Workshop.

Fretting level frets if necessary, crown and re-finish.

Saddle height adjust as necessary for specific tuning (high or low G), re-finish

Top nut adjust heights and slotting for specific tunings (high or low G), re-finish.

Fingerboard Oil and make smooth if necessary

Bridge Adjust saddle slot height, oil if necessary.

Playing Bring up to pitch and check for playability and sound quality
(minimum requirement no fret buzz)

Finally Inspect finish againInstrument Check
Ukulele

Preliminary checks on a new or second hand Instrument.

Finish
Check for woodwork blemishes eg, under the finish the wood may be cracked or filled
Check for Hardware blemishes eg poor plating or plating coming off
Check for actual finish blemishes eg, shiny bits on matt finishes, small dings

Neck angle
check enough bridge saddle height is present above bridge when string height
is set at correct distance above fingerboard.

Neck relief (straightness of neck)

Bridge glued on properly

Linings glued on properly and neat

Struts Tap on top and back for loose

Top Use wooden straight to check for top lifting on bridge area

If Passed, instrument to Workshop.

Fretting level frets if necessary, crown and re-finish.

Saddle height adjust as necessary for specific tuning (high or low G), re-finish

Top nut adjust heights and slotting for specific tunings (high or low G), re-finish.

Fingerboard Oil and make smooth if necessary

Bridge Adjust saddle slot height, oil if necessary.

Playing Bring up to pitch and check for playability and sound quality
(minimum requirement no fret buzz)

Finally Inspect finish again

stokietom1
05-05-2013, 02:39 AM
That one yes. Paul Walker send me the workshop rules last year, this is what they do with their setup:

Sounds really good. So you think it's the best I can get for the price then?

I might even order it today. :)

Rodney.
05-05-2013, 02:52 AM
Sounds really good. So you think it's the best I can get for the price then?

I might even order it today. :)

I'm not saying it's the best you can get for the price, but I played one and it's defintely good for the price, and a good choice for a beginner uke.
If I were you I would concentrate on the 'good dealers' in the UK. I've dealt with Courtney and Walker, Highly Strung and the Southern Ukulele Store. Look at what they have in stock, what you are willing to spend and look for youtube videos of the particular ukuleles. After you made a decision, contact them directly, the company's I mentioned are very pleasant to deal with on the phone or by e-mail. Ask them what they do for setup, and defintely make sure you mention they have to check the action (=stringheight) of the ukulele. There's in my opnion nothing worse than a ukulele with strings that are too high. It makes it a pain to play and throws the intonation way off.

philrab66
05-05-2013, 04:12 AM

That is even better then.

stokietom1
05-05-2013, 04:48 AM
That is even better then.

This one?

http://www.cliffordessex.net/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=830

Is a concert much bigger than a soprano?

Cheers

ChaosToo
05-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Where can I find a link for this? :)

I'm not in a mad rush to get one, as the cheap one I have is doing the job for now in terms of learning and I can stretch the budget over 100 if needed, I just didn't want to spend a large amount at the moment as I'm still testing the waters (but absolutely loving it so far, just signed up for the Uke Underground lessons as well.)

I live in Stoke On Trent and sadly I don't think their are any Uke stores around here. :(

Cheers

:D

Oh - I see you've found it - yep, the concert is bigger than the soprano, and the tenor is bigger again, with the baritone being the biggest. Personally, having tried the first three sizes, I prefer my concert - but that's all down to personal taste......

I really don't think you can go far wrong with the Aria - and the setup really is worth paying for if you're unsure how to do it, as it makes all the difference :D Clifford Essex's customer service is absolutely first class too - I had some fret buzz initially (at least I thought it was) and they firstly sent me a new saddle and strings (free of charge) to try. When that didn't work, they arranged collection by courier at their own expense, set the uke up again with another set of new strings and couriered it back to me! I honestly can't recommend them highly enough!

stokietom1
05-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Oh - I see you've found it - yep, the concert is bigger than the soprano, and the tenor is bigger again, with the baritone being the biggest. Personally, having tried the first three sizes, I prefer my concert - but that's all down to personal taste......

I really don't think you can go far wrong with the Aria - and the setup really is worth paying for if you're unsure how to do it, as it makes all the difference :D Clifford Essex's customer service is absolutely first class too - I had some fret buzz initially (at least I thought it was) and they firstly sent me a new saddle and strings (free of charge) to try. When that didn't work, they arranged collection by courier at their own expense, set the uke up again with another set of new strings and couriered it back to me! I honestly can't recommend them highly enough!

Thanks for the advice. I think I would be even happier with the one I've got now so I think the concert makes sense.

What are the strings like on that Uke though? Will they be good enough? Obviously with spending this much money I won't want to have to go through the hassle of changing anything. :)

Cheers

ChaosToo
05-05-2013, 08:56 AM
The Clifford Essex strings are really nice. Again - it's all about personal taste here. I used Aquilas when I got my first (Mahalo Soprano) uke and - to be honest, they just sounded really brash to my ears. I had Aquilas as standard on the Tenor I've got too - and quickly changed them to Living Water strings, which I love! I'll be sticking the Living Water strings on my soprano once I build it back up again.

But the CE strings are certainly not 'cheap and nasty' efforts and won't need changing unless they don't suit your ears, which is something only time, and you, will be able to tell - but the same goes for any strings.

Any more help I can give, just ask :D

stokietom1
05-05-2013, 11:31 AM
The Clifford Essex strings are really nice. Again - it's all about personal taste here. I used Aquilas when I got my first (Mahalo Soprano) uke and - to be honest, they just sounded really brash to my ears. I had Aquilas as standard on the Tenor I've got too - and quickly changed them to Living Water strings, which I love! I'll be sticking the Living Water strings on my soprano once I build it back up again.

But the CE strings are certainly not 'cheap and nasty' efforts and won't need changing unless they don't suit your ears, which is something only time, and you, will be able to tell - but the same goes for any strings.

Any more help I can give, just ask :D

Thanks for all of the help so far guys. I really appreciate it.

I am pretty much sold on the Uke now, 110 seems a lot to me for something I'm really new to so I'm not sure if to hold out a bit on my current cheap Uke but it's very plasticky and it's beginning to frustrate me.

If I didn't want to jump to a 100 Uke right away, would their be anything worthwhile for half that price or should I stay away?

Cheers

philrab66
05-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all of the help so far guys. I really appreciate it.

I am pretty much sold on the Uke now, 110 seems a lot to me for something I'm really new to so I'm not sure if to hold out a bit on my current cheap Uke but it's very plasticky and it's beginning to frustrate me.

If I didn't want to jump to a 100 Uke right away, would their be anything worthwhile for half that price or should I stay away?

Cheers

If you are like a lot of people on here you will always be hunting for your next uke. If you buy one for half the price your next one will be the 110
one. Then after you have bought that one you will want a better one for around 200 then you will want another for 300 and so on.
You may get a cheaper one that sounds as good but as you can not try any it is a hard decision.

As you will read time and time again buy the best one you can afford.

stokietom1
05-05-2013, 12:45 PM
If you are like a lot of people on here you will always be hunting for your next uke. If you buy one for half the price your next one will be the 110
one. Then after you have bought that one you will want a better one for around 200 then you will want another for 300 and so on.
You may get a cheaper one that sounds as good but as you can not try any it is a hard decision.

As you will read time and time again buy the best one you can afford.

Very good point. :)

A different type of question. The ends of my fingers are hurting really bad from where I press down on the strings and I just can't practice at all. Is their anything I can do or do I just have to wait it out?

Cheers

philrab66
05-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Very good point. :)

A different type of question. The ends of my fingers are hurting really bad from where I press down on the strings and I just can't practice at all. Is their anything I can do or do I just have to wait it out?

Cheers

Give them a rest. your fingers will toughen up over time. make sure you are not pressing to hard. Also it may be your uke the way it is set up with high strings. If they are hurting though give them a break practice little and often.

stokietom1
05-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Give them a rest. your fingers will toughen up over time. make sure you are not pressing to hard. Also it may be your uke the way it is set up with high strings. If they are hurting though give them a break practice little and often.

It is very cheap ukulele afterall and I think the body is plastic. To be honest I did buy it on a whim and I think it's one of these:
http://www.djmmusic.com/ItemMatrix.asp?Ic=2011WH&MatrixType=2&gclid=CLjl4-f9_7YCFc3HtAodDjEAtw

I truly didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I do and I am serious about playing and learning. I bet The Aria will feel and sound really nice to play and be totally different class.

ChaosToo
05-05-2013, 01:21 PM
High action will make for extra pressure to fret the notes - leading to sore fingers. But sore fingers will happen until they toughen up a bit from playing - but it's not a long process for that to get easier. Just make sure you're not applying too much pressure, just enough to get a buzz free clean note.

110 is a lot of cash (I know how you feel) - but I can assure you that the Aria is a fantastic uke at the price and I don't think there's another solid wood instrument that even comes close to that price bracket. In all honesty, as a newbie myself, I don't think I could justify spending much more on an instrument because I couldn't do it justice (and I don't think I could honestly tell the difference) - but it's truly a massive step up from my 50 Mahalo Soprano in every respect.

Let us know how you get on......... :D

philrab66
05-05-2013, 01:38 PM
It is very cheap ukulele afterall and I think the body is plastic. To be honest I did buy it on a whim and I think it's one of these:
http://www.djmmusic.com/ItemMatrix.asp?Ic=2011WH&MatrixType=2&gclid=CLjl4-f9_7YCFc3HtAodDjEAtw

I truly didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I do and I am serious about playing and learning. I bet The Aria will feel and sound really nice to play and be totally different class.

It will make you want to play more as well if it sounds better. It is a lot of fun because it is fairly easy to be able to play something very quickly not like a lot of other instruments.

stokietom1
05-06-2013, 12:24 AM
It will make you want to play more as well if it sounds better. It is a lot of fun because it is fairly easy to be able to play something very quickly not like a lot of other instruments.

I just called Clifford Essex and what a fantastic help the guy was who I spoke to. Explained everything to me.

He actually advised to go for a cheaper Uke saying the Makalas are very good quality for the price.

This one he suggested:

http://www.cliffordessex.net/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=175

I think I would feel more comfortable going for one at this price for now. What do you guys think?

Cheers

stokietom1
05-06-2013, 01:37 AM
I've looked at some reviews on YouTube and they all appear to say good things about it and it also seems nice and sounds good.

I'm sure it'll be a lot better than my current one. And it comes fully set up with good strings to. 47.50 with shipping and it comes with a good case to.

Should I do it? :)

philrab66
05-06-2013, 07:31 AM
I've looked at some reviews on YouTube and they all appear to say good things about it and it also seems nice and sounds good.

I'm sure it'll be a lot better than my current one. And it comes fully set up with good strings to. 47.50 with shipping and it comes with a good case to.

It is completely down to you now you have got a lot of info, it is down to your budget.

stokietom1
05-06-2013, 10:39 AM
It is completely down to you now you have got a lot of info, it is down to your budget.

I'm getting really frustrated with this cheap Uke now, the strings feel so hard and uncomfortable and they rattle a lot as well.

I don't want to get the Makala Uke and regret it because their is something wrong with the quality but the guy from the essex music store assured me that they are of great quality and they will be fully setup.

I hate making decisions.

philrab66
05-06-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm getting really frustrated with this cheap Uke now, the strings feel so hard and uncomfortable and they rattle a lot as well.

I don't want to get the Makala Uke and regret it because their is something wrong with the quality but the guy from the essex music store assured me that they are of great quality and they will be fully setup.

I hate making decisions.

If you have the 110 go for it you will not regret it. You get what you pay for the Aria or whatever it is called will be what I say is a proper instrument that you want to play. The makala is a lot better than what you have but the difference between the makala and the aria is like buying a pound pizza from tescos or buying 2.50 one if you get my drift.

philrab66
05-06-2013, 11:22 AM

Listen to both of these should make up your mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWYhCVop2vo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3bWU-Fy1aU

That first vid I linked you to is awful this one sounds a bit better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WzXVFo8_vo

ChaosToo
05-06-2013, 12:26 PM
I take it you spoke to Clem - great isn't he? And so is Jenny (I've spoken to them both and they couldn't have been more helpful if they'd tried - hence my recommendations on here).

I haven't played the Makala, but one thing is for sure, the people at Clifford Essex have forgotten more than I'll ever know about musical instruments - and they also do an incredibly good setup, so whatever uke you choose will make you happy I'm sure......

stokietom1
05-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the video links. :)

I think the Makala would be fine for me just because I'm starting out and as it is I can barely play more than 3 chords lol.

I guess I have the assurance of knowing that the Makala will be set up properly and I think overall I will feel comfortable spending only this much for the time being rather than over 100 just to make sure that the Ukulele is for me and in the video linked it doesn't sound to bad at all. :)

Cheers

Rodney.
05-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Buy the Makala, I still play my Makala Dolphin every day.

philrab66
05-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the video links. :)

I think the Makala would be fine for me just because I'm starting out and as it is I can barely play more than 3 chords lol.

I guess I have the assurance of knowing that the Makala will be set up properly and I think overall I will feel comfortable spending only this much for the time being rather than over 100 just to make sure that the Ukulele is for me and in the video linked it doesn't sound to bad at all. :)

Cheers

That is good, let us know how you get on and maybe a video.

stokietom1
05-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Okay guys just ordered and paid for the Makala:
http://www.cliffordessex.net/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=175

Can't wait to get my hands on it. Really looking forward to playing with something better than my current plastic one! :D

Thanks so much for all of your help and I'm sure I will have many questions to come, this forum is a fantastic resoruce!!

Tootler
05-06-2013, 11:09 PM
I think you've made a good choice there. Makala is a reputable brand - it's Kala's economy range. You're also getting setup included which means you'll get an instrument that's a pleasure to play, so you are more likely to stay with it. In time, you will want to up grade - UAS creeps up on us all! By that time though, you will be more aware of what's available and what you're looking for.

Welcome to the journey!

stokietom1
05-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi again guys, I've got another question if that's OK.

I signed up for the UU Underground videos which have been a great help. I haven't been playing very long in total and can only smoothly switch between a few chords so far (lol) but the learning aspect is great.

I have only been paying attention to the tuition on the UU Underground and haven't really sourced practice from anywhere else. Is it a bad idea to buy Ukulele books and look at other videos offering tuition? I wouldn't want to confuse myself in terms of books and people having different styles of playing which in turn would lead to a different style of teaching.

For example I saw the 'Ukulele For Dummies' book on Amazon and I was wondering if it would be worth a shot.

Cheers

Hms
05-08-2013, 01:27 AM
Firstly, i'd learn a few chords and how to change between them,
Once you have a few under the belt then you could look at other options with a bit more confidence, i.e. not having to worry about how do I finger that chord.
Best bet for starting in Uncle Rod's boot camp. A series of chord diagrammes in a key per page. Useful for learning a chord and gaining muscle memory. Start with the key of C.
Here for boot camp: (Botom of list)
http://www.mediafire.com/?rvr286vaqavab
h

stokietom1
05-08-2013, 04:30 AM
Firstly, i'd learn a few chords and how to change between them,
Once you have a few under the belt then you could look at other options with a bit more confidence, i.e. not having to worry about how do I finger that chord.
Best bet for starting in Uncle Rod's boot camp. A series of chord diagrammes in a key per page. Useful for learning a chord and gaining muscle memory. Start with the key of C.
Here for boot camp: (Botom of list)
http://www.mediafire.com/?rvr286vaqavab
h

Thanks for the link - Those chord sheets look very helpful. :)

I have been practicing lots and I can switch between 4 chords now quite easily... I must say the UU Underground videos have been a MASSIVE help and I've been following the 101 videos. :)

Hms
05-08-2013, 05:28 AM
Yep,
Uncle Rod deserves a medal for service to the Uke Community!
h

wallyboy
05-08-2013, 12:26 PM
well done on purchase, the MKS was my first uke, i'ts a great little uke for the money, if you can play four chords you already have enough to play lots of songs, i would buy a uke song book to get the hang of chord progression, with easy chords, stick at it and it will all fall in place, hope you have as much fun with MKS as i have.

stokietom1
05-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Just an update, I got the Uke a couple of days ago and I love it. It sounds so much better than my other one and Clifford Essex have been great.

However, on the C string, when I play it open or on a fret, their is a buzzing noise and I'm not sure what I need to do to fix it.

Any advice please?

Thanks

Jim Hanks
05-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Hmm, as you just got it, the easy answer is to send it back. Has it done it from the start or just started recently? Your first step is to determine where the buzz is coming from- which can be tricky. Is it just the C string? All frets on the C string?

ChaosToo
05-10-2013, 05:12 PM
OK - having been in EXACTLY the same boat, just make sure your picking/strumming action isn't the issue. Clifford Essex do set their ukes up nice and low and, as a newbie myself, I found that the buzz I also experienced initially was more down to my heavy handed strumming.

That having been said, after a lengthy chat with Clem, he first sent me out a new saddle and set of strings, with detailed instructions on what to do - and when that failed, he arranged a courier collection and took the uke back. Whilst they couldn't replicate the buzz (and even played the uke to me on the phone to prove it), Jenny (Clems partner?) restrung it, set it up again and then couriered it back to me.

It's been fine ever since - especially when I started to play it a little more gently .......... :D

stokietom1
05-11-2013, 02:26 AM
There is an elemant of buzzing on the C and E string. I don't know if it's how I'm holding it but the buzzing is comming from the first four frets on each string

philrab66
05-11-2013, 06:51 AM
There is an elemant of buzzing on the C and E string. I don't know if it's how I'm holding it but the buzzing is comming from the first four frets on each string

Post a video of you playing it.

Jim Hanks
05-11-2013, 07:07 AM
Does it matter where your fretting finger is relative to the fret? Try putting your finger right behind the fret, mashing harder or softer, etc. to try to rule out a technique issue.

stokietom1
05-11-2013, 09:49 AM
No matter where or how I fret the buzz still appears... I emailed clifford essex and they got back to me saying the Uke left with no buzzing and it was played by a professional before it was sent to me so I'm not sure what I can do.

I don't know if their is a genuine problem with the Uke or it's how I'm playing.

philrab66
05-11-2013, 10:00 AM
No matter where or how I fret the buzz still appears... I emailed clifford essex and they got back to me saying the Uke left with no buzzing and it was played by a professional before it was sent to me so I'm not sure what I can do.

I don't know if their is a genuine problem with the Uke or it's how I'm playing.

can you not post a video?

Jim Hanks
05-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Can you tell if the buzz is coming from the nut, bridge, or somewhere else?

stokietom1
05-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Can you tell if the buzz is coming from the nut, bridge, or somewhere else?

After adjusting my technique, I've now narrowed it down to the E string 1st fret. As you can tell I'm no expert but it kinda sounds like the string is hitting the frets which in turn is causing the buzzing, I could be totally wrong though.

philrab66
05-12-2013, 11:05 AM
after adjusting my technique, i've now narrowed it down to the e string 1st fret. As you can tell i'm no expert but it kinda sounds like the string is hitting the frets which in turn is causing the buzzing, i could be totally wrong though.

can you post a video?