Season 64 ~ Louisiana Hot Sauce

~dave~~wave~

Reaction score
The theme this week is anything of or pertaining to Louisiana.

Songs by Louisiana artists, about or referring to Louisiana, its cities, environs, culture, characters, etc. are welcome.

I you need direction or suggestions PM me.

Rules

Please state the name and writer or artist of your song, I'm not hip enough to guess them all.

Everything is permitted.
That is, except Iko Iko.

I'm traumatized from watching and being obliged to participate in too many cringe-inducing uke version of this, one of my favorite songs, to put up with any more this week.

Prizes

This week everybody who enters wins First Prize.
Too many deserving folks enter each week and get edged out by the very talented or very lucky.

Everybody who sends me their address will receive a 0.125 oz. (.037 l) bottle of genuine Tabasco brand Louisiana hot sauce with a collectible limited edition Season 64 label. Anywhere in world.
If you prefer, I can PM you a certificate.

In addition, there will be three Grand Prizes.

• First time posters will have a drawing for a hand-crafted stone pick (plectrum) made of petrified wood, to represent that no one should be "petrified" about jumping in and entering the Seasons.
Anybody who has won in previous Seasons is not eligible to win a Grand Prize.

Folks who have never won a prize will be entered in two random drawings.

• The domestic US winner will receive a Boulder Sled kite.
  • The international winner will get an assortment of red hot Aquila Red strings plus a Fremont Soloist Polished Gold Low G sent with the hot sauce.
Terms and conditions

The standard terms and time lines apply this week.

Feel free to get busy recording and uploading, but refrain from posting until Sunday morning US time.

Deadline, as usual, is midnight Sunday Hawaiian Standard Time.

Laissez les bontemps roulez (Let the good times roll) !

Playlists:

Season 64 Entries
Minty Fresh Lagniappes (bonus tracks)
Moldy Oldie Bonus Tracks

​Iko Iko Purgatory (you were warned!)

Last edited:
Great challenge! So much great music from Louisiana---excited to see/hear what y'all choose this week. Now, let's not ALL sing a L'il Wayne song, okay?

OK here we go.
Jolie Blonde. I believe this would be classed as a "Traditional" song. I could find when they believe it was first recorded but could not find a composer's name. The name also varies but I think it is basically "Pretty Blonde" in English. It kinda sounds wrong in English especially Australian English.

Last edited:
What no Iko Iko just when I had explored the African traditions and traced how
they were transported and adapted to the Mardi Gras in New Orleans:eek:ld:

If You like a bit of Dan Moi and some African carnival dance then you can indulge
your self with this version, and get in the mood for this season.

IKO IKO

Here's one for the Moldy Oldies! A tribute to my father - 38 years a RR engineer on the Illinois Central. The City of New Orleans was one of his trains.

Audrey is home from college for the weekend (have to take her back after I upload this). We decided to have some fun!

Uh, oh...I predict a rather large number of covers of "Jambalya" ;)

What I want to know though, is would a song about my wife qualify? I met and married her while stationed at England AFB in Alexandria, LA...

Come to think of it...I haven't written any songs about my wife.

Nevermind... :)

John

That was beautiful, Myrna! What a nice tribute to your father.
Thanks Lily. It's actually a double Moldy Oldie since i posted it as a bonus during train week as well. But what can I say? I've loved that song ever since I first heard it - it was our train and our song! I was one of those pass riders he sang about. I once met Steve Goodman and told him how much that song meant to me.

Uh, oh...I predict a rather large number of covers of "Jambalya" ;)

What I want to know though, is would a song about my wife qualify? I met and married her while stationed at England AFB in Alexandria, LA...

Come to think of it...I haven't written any songs about my wife.

Nevermind... :)

John

I'm sure that would qualify. Looks like this is your chance... :D

Roosevelt and Ira Lee

Lawd have Moicy!!! This is my official entry and I claim my miniature bottle of hot cajun sauce with the limited edition "Season 64" label... ready of not here I come a Scotsman lost on the Bayou.

Since I expect Polka Salad Annie will feature at some time I went for the less well know Roosevelt and Ira Lee and their night time adventures in search of food :drool:

Minty Fresh Bonus Track

Lawd have Moicy!!! This is my official entry and I claim my miniature bottle of hot cajun sauce with the limited edition "Season 64" label... ready of not here I come a Scotsman lost on the Bayou.

Since I expect Polka Salad Annie will feature at some time I went for the less well know Roosevelt and Ira Lee and their night time adventures in search of food :drool:
Beauty. The WGY TREATment! Good one that I have never heard. I'll take chicken every time (not stolen though).

Minty Fresh Bonus Track
Nice slow blues Ray. Good job.
Moldy Oldie Bonus Track
This is great Ray. Certainly nothing moldy about it! I might attempt it myself later in the week.
I have been looking at Steve Earle's After the Mardi Gras from the same TV series, I reckon you would do a great cover of that song.

Top Bottom