New Maui Music in the house

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
I have had this uke for over a week now, so I figured it was time to post some pics. I have been looking for a uke with that quintessential "Hawaiian sound", and after listening to Aaron's sound sample from HMS, I jumped.

I had Andrew change out the original Schaller tuners to the new Gotoh UPT's, and he also installed an LR Baggs 5.0 pickup for me. I really like them both. I have Pegheads on some of my other tenors which I also like, but these seem to be a little more substantial while still being lightweight.

Andrew described the sound best as "chimey." He strung it with Worth clears with a wound C. It is my first ukulele with a wound C string, and while it is a little squeaky, I like it. I might change it out to a polished wound to reduce the squeak a little.

The neck is very slender and the ukulele is very light with excellent balance. While I never have had an issue with the edges on the lower bout digging into my arm on my other tenors, the bevel does make it more comfortable to play. And the matching Rosewood cutout bevel, binding, and end graft really gives the uke a handsome appearance, IMO.

Andrew gave me a choice of cases between an Oahu and a Cross rock ABS. I went with the Cross rock and boy am I glad I did. It is a very nice, light case with ample storage and fantastic protection. Sharp looking too. I have two of the newer Oahu cases and this one blows them away. Much better quality.

And finally, a huge shout out to Andrew and Hawaii Music Supply. I have bought four ukes from MGM in the past, but this is my first uke purchase form HMS. As many have said before me, they are top notch . Communication was excellent and all of the work they performed on my uke was flawless. I see that they have some other MM's newly listed on their website and I would highly recommend snatching one up if you are in the market for a new uke.

Thanks to Peter Lieberman for building such a fine ukulele.

Last edited:
That is a beautiful uke. I love how they did the beveling. Great idea. Congrats on your new uke and glad you are so happy with it.

Congratulations Dana on a beautiful and I'm sure great sounding uke. I love the partial cutaway. I've never seen one with the cutaway done like that. I would think you have the luxury of a cutaway and still have a fuller sound then if it were a full cutaway.

Wow beautiful Maui Music..
Peter Lieberman is one of the really nice people in the uke world,i am happy he is getting some love on the UU lately..very humble person..i spoke with him once and tried to say nice stuff about his ukes and him..but all he wanted to do was give Props to his good friend Eric Devine..

congrats on the new Maui Music..and nice work Peter..

So you're the new magical owner! Congrats on such a beauty. let us know how the arm bevel and the cutaway works!

Yep, it was me Lexy and Bao. The bevels are awesome and the sound is even awesome-er!

Congratulations Dana! That is so beautiful and well designed.

Thanks for the pics.

Thanks Kathryn, Rox, Mark, and Len. Soupking has been singing the praises of Peter's uke to me and I know Maui Music has some tried and true fans here on the UU, including you Len.

Since I don't have means to record a sound sample, I am bumping up the original Maui Music thread where there is a link to Aaron's sound sample. I believe that the uke has a little more life to it now with the Worth's on it. But it has a traditional, almost soprano like sound to it, with more volume.

Yeah mine is a 1998 tenor Maui Music and it has a very booming base tone with crystal clear highs..i am sure after you play yours in..the tone will get deeper..Peter was one of the only Hawaiian builders who used a radius fretboard many years ago..

Btw I use Fremont Blacklines LowG on mine..seems to work nice..

keep on strumming

Congratulations on your new uke! And with all the bells and whistles. Good stuff.:D

Another top shelf uke you got Dana. Don't forget to give your other ukes love too!!

Congrats Dana. Love that vintage look headstock with the awesome bevels, a stunner for sure. I have 3 Maui pre-fire, 1 of each size and would love to add a modern MM to my stable...............

Top Bottom