Start of thicknesser restoration

soulman

Reaction score
This is the start of the the resto of a Jeffwood 702 thicknesser. These were built in australia. Have started the pull down. I will be Soda blasting it first to remove the paint and grime, soaking the rusty parts in molasses solution to remove the rust. Bearings to be replaced. paint her all up then then bring it back to life
015.jpg018.jpg019.jpg

Last edited:
This is after Soda Blasting. Just needs washing down with pressure cleaner then dried and then the paint process begins.
004.jpg005.jpg009.jpg006.jpg008.jpg

That looks like a sturdy bit of machinery.
Yes this weighs about 200kg at a guess

What an amazing difference. How many hours did it put into it with the soda blasting?

It does a great job. The good thing about soda is that it also acts as a degreaser but doesn`t alter substrate. It wont remove rust though.This took about an hour to blast.

Looks like an interesting project..are you going to make a sander or a planer....and lets have a look at the bits you've dismantled :)

Soda blasting seems really uncommon here in Australia, but in Canada where I grew up and lived until 2002 its really common. We stripped motor vehicles and airplanes of paint regularly with it. You could leave all the rubber and plastic trim still on the vehicle and the soda blasting wouldn't mark it. Not like sand blasting that would destroy anything it hit.

Interesting thing is that for at least 1 month afterwards the bare metal will not rust. We had a shop ute that we soda blasted to bright shiny steel and drove around town for a bit of advertising. Use to refresh it once a month by hitting it with the soda. Really got heads to turn when we first started doing that.

I had to look up soda blasting. Looks interesting. Did you do it yourself or did you farm it out?

I run my own Soda/Sandblasting business. www.bicarbblasting.com.au if you want any more info. My background is fitter and turner/welder/fabricator. Hence my Makita spokeshave (grinder):) I don`t have a lot of wood working tools.

Looks like an interesting project..are you going to make a sander or a planer....and lets have a look at the bits you've dismantled :)
This will remain a thicknesser. I will post some dismantled parts for you. This has a square cutting head which I`ve been told is now illegal in regards to OH&S. will probably machine a new shaft to take a spiral head. I have some brass bushes to replace and at least one gear to remake.
I could do with your help as I have a large bandsaw, 14" jointer (surfacer),Spindle moulders and a Wadkin morticer and a few other bits to restore. Just need a bigger

Soda blasting seems really uncommon here in Australia, but in Canada where I grew up and lived until 2002 its really common. We stripped motor vehicles and airplanes of paint regularly with it. You could leave all the rubber and plastic trim still on the vehicle and the soda blasting wouldn't mark it. Not like sand blasting that would destroy anything it hit.

Interesting thing is that for at least 1 month afterwards the bare metal will not rust. We had a shop ute that we soda blasted to bright shiny steel and drove around town for a bit of advertising. Use to refresh it once a month by hitting it with the soda. Really got heads to turn when we first started doing that.

Thats good to hear Allen. It`s a great process. I`ve also done glass and chrome. Brings them up very nice.

I just been reading some stuff here on "old square head thicknessers" http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=23691.0 :(

seems like a good idea to fit a round spiral head ..but then again I don't know very much about e'm :D

Thanks for the link.
I thought they were unsafe because of blades letting go. Always good to find out a bit more about them.
Her`s a few photo`s of some of the break down of parts.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

Top Bottom